KevinRiley2

Quote from: "tangledweb"
CFL News ?@CFL_News  
National TV ratings number for #Ticats @ #Argos opener:  747,000 viewers when you add in RDS/Quebec. #CFL via @paulosenra

CFL News ?@CFL_News  
Audience levels peaked at 912,000 viewers during the third quarter as #Argos attempted a 2nd-half comeback. - @TSN_Sports #CFL #Ticats

CFL News ?@CFL_News  
In total, 2.8 million unique Canadian viewers tuned in to watch some part of the game on TSN - @TSN_Sports #CFL #Argos #Ticats
:thup:
Not bad at all and near the 800K I hoped for.  If the Argos hadn't bleeped the bed, the ratings could/would have been much better.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

KevinRiley2

Nothing on tonight except a CFL Double Header.  Lets hope for games in the 750 range.

Edit : The TFC game is on SN360 (giggle, giggle) so, again, there's "nothing on tonight except a CFL Double Header". ;)

KevinRiley2

Arash Madani said the CFL is getting $45,000,000/yr from TSN.  The original dollar figure, before the extension, was in the low 40's.  Makes me believe BCE/TSN said, "Okay, we'll buy the Argos and we'll give you a small increase in TV money, but we want the deal extended until 2022".

A Win-Win...

The CFL gets the Argo problem put to rest plus a little more TV money.
BCE/TSN gets 90 high rated, 3 hour, Canadian content games for $45M.

Not bad.

slimjim2

Huge losses on the Quebec sports channel  TVA and RDS a 58%  drop in revenue.

TVA Sports, the Quebecor Media Inc.-owned, Montreal-based network, nearly doubled its pre-tax losses to $39.2 million in 2015, its first year as the official French-language broadcaster of the NHL. It was the largest loss for any specialized TV channel in the country.

RDS finances were also hurt by the deal. In its first year without full broadcast rights to NHL hockey, RDS saw its pre-tax profit fall 58 per cent to $19.8 million in 2015 from $45.4 million in 2014. A spokesperson for Bell Media said the company has “no comment to make” on RDS’ profit decline.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/ ... c-quebecor

vanhalendlrband

That argos game got some pretty dam good june ratings
Retired Buffalo quarterback Jim Kelly said this week. "I wouldn\'t want to see anything jeopardize the CFL and what the Toronto Argonauts have done here, and I wouldn\'t want to see anything happen with the Buffalo Bills."

TravelPat1

Good start for the CFL ratings wise in Week One. Ratings up 13% without the Riders even being involved.

The weekend CFL games coming in at numbers 7, 8 and 12 for the weekend behind the Jays, Euros and NHL Draft.  

Clearly we are a hockey country though. 902,000 to watch a draft? Peaking at 1.57 million when the Leafs made their pick - with 3.9 million watching at least a part of the draft on Sportsnet.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-ga ... 01737.html

Here are the most-watched sports events on English-language television from the last weekend, according to Numeris overnight ratings:

1. MLB, Blue Jays at White Sox, Saturday, Sportsnet: 947,000

2. NHL, NHL entry draft, Friday, Sportsnet: 902,000

3. MLB, Blue Jays at White Sox, Sunday, Sportsnet: 897,000

4. MLB, Blue Jays at White Sox, Friday, Sportsnet One: 740,000

5. Euro soccer, Croatia vs. Portugal, Saturday, TSN: 665,000

6. Euro soccer, Germany vs. Slovakia, Sunday, TSN: 628,000

7. CFL, Stampeders at Lions, Saturday, TSN: 614,000

8. CFL, Redblacks at Eskimos, Saturay, TSN: 569,000

9. Euro soccer, Wales vs. Northern Ireland, Saturday, TSN: 563,000

10. Euro soccer, Hugary vs. Belgium, Sunday, TSN: 509,000

11. Euro soccer, France vs. Ireland, Sunday, TSN: 506,000

12. CFL, Alouettes at Blue Bombers, Friday, TSN: 495,000

13. Euro soccer, Switzerland vs. Poland, Saturday, TSN: 395,000

14. MLB, Cardinals at Mariners, Sunday, Sportsnet: 185,000

15. MLB, Red Sox at Yankees, Saturday, Sportsnet: 136,000

Mr. Pike

Quote from: "TravelPat1"
Good start for the CFL ratings wise in Week One. Ratings up 13% without the Riders even being involved.

The weekend CFL games coming in at numbers 7, 8 and 12 for the weekend behind the Jays, Euros and NHL Draft.  

Clearly we are a hockey country though. 902,000 to watch a draft? Peaking at 1.57 million when the Leafs made their pick - with 3.9 million watching at least a part of the draft on Sportsnet.

Here are the most-watched sports events on English-language television from the last weekend, according to Numeris overnight ratings:

What drives me nuts is the national numbers should be RDS plus TSN , the montreal game would be much higher if we knew both numbers  , I don;t even know if RDS carried the two out west games( Ottawa /EDM :  BC/Cal) but if they did, then more viewers of course  .  How do we find out Pat ?    Thanks in advance.
Up 13% on TSN  is pretty good though especially  without Sask, ......hope it keeps going .

snowmobile

TFC vs. Orlando can't even make the list

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "slimjim2"
Huge losses on the Quebec sports channel  TVA and RDS a 58%  drop in revenue.

TVA Sports, the Quebecor Media Inc.-owned, Montreal-based network, nearly doubled its pre-tax losses to $39.2 million in 2015, its first year as the official French-language broadcaster of the NHL. It was the largest loss for any specialized TV channel in the country.

RDS finances were also hurt by the deal. In its first year without full broadcast rights to NHL hockey, RDS saw its pre-tax profit fall 58 per cent to $19.8 million in 2015 from $45.4 million in 2014. A spokesperson for Bell Media said the company has “no comment to make” on RDS’ profit decline.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/ ... c-quebecor
One company made money and one lost money. It is not a surprise to me.  Rogers/Quebecor are the Hare and BCE/RDS are the Tortoise.  I see it every quarter when corporate earnings come out.  I sleep better at night investing/betting on the steady Eddy.

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "Mr. Pike"
Quote from: "TravelPat1"

What drives me nuts is the national numbers should be RDS plus TSN , the montreal game would be much higher if we knew both numbers  , I don;t even know if RDS carried the two out west games( Ottawa /EDM :  BC/Cal) but if they did, then more viewers of course  .  How do we find out Pat ?    Thanks in advance.
Up 13% on TSN  is pretty good though especially  without Sask, ......hope it keeps going .
Yes.  Thank you, Pat.  I look forward to your ratings posts every Tuesday.

A Whole New Bungle

Those are atrocious CFL numbers. If these were printed three years ago, the sky would be falling.
My hate for Rogers will never die My hate for all things Blue Jays, Leafs, Raptors and TFC will never die.. Come on Argos.. SHRED THAT TURF!!!!!  I mean pitch... lol .. SCREW ROGERS!!!!!

KevinRiley2

As for the TV numbers, I am a little disappointed but it's an increase and that beats what we've seen over the last couple years.  The games were also up against the Jays juggernaut and the NHL drafts so...  all things considered, not bad.  On a cost/return basis, definitely more bang for the TSN buck.  :thup:

Hopefully, in a year when the Jays are playing poorly, we could see another 100K+ viewers.

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "A Whole New Bungle"
Those are atrocious CFL numbers. If these were printed three years ago, the sky would be falling.
You always think the sky is falling, Bungle.  Besides, it's like I said, they were up against the Jays (whose numbers won't last forever) and the NHL draft.  Considering the competition, I'm okay with a 13% increase.

Argofan_1000

Quote from: "KevinRiley2"
As for the TV numbers, I am a little disappointed but it's an increase and that beats what we've seen over the last couple years.  The games were also up against the Jays juggernaut and the NHL drafts so...  All things considered, not bad.  On a cost/return basis, definitely more bang for the TSN buck.  :thup:

Hopefully, in a year when the Jays are playing poorly, we could see another 100K+ viewers.

TSN/RDS numbers should be combined for the CFL ratings numbers. Both RDS/TSN signed the broadcast extension with the CFL, both owned by Bell Media.  Als when playing could add 150,000 to 200,000 to the number you see above, and when other teams play 50,000 plus as they did the first week.

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "Argofan_1000"
Quote from: "KevinRiley2"
As for the TV numbers, I am a little disappointed but it's an increase and that beats what we've seen over the last couple years.  The games were also up against the Jays juggernaut and the NHL drafts so...  All things considered, not bad.  On a cost/return basis, definitely more bang for the TSN buck.  :thup:

TSN/RDS numbers should be combined for the CFL ratings numbers. Both RDS/TSN signed the broadcast extension with the CFL, both owned by Bell Media.  Als when playing could add 150,000 to 200,000 to the number you see above, and when other teams play 50,000 plus as they did the first week.
Thanks for the input.   :thup:

No matter how you cut it, TSN is getting a deal and a half with the CFL.  That's all that matters.  The CFL provides decent summer numbers and Canadian content - a win/win.  As we have said before, BCE/TSN needs the CFL as much as the CFL needs BCE/TSN.

Users Online

168 Guests, 13 Users (19 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
rpaege, bohdon, KevinRiley2, Sidney, Chewbaca1973, ExPat, raymarkca, sully, Niagara Als, danoc_86, RichardVeilleux, Google (19)

Most Online Today: 365. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)