Hank01

Again, don't know.  That being said, the new commish I have confidence in.

Again, the US national championship college game this past Monday was on ESPN.  ;) So....

Maybe July 1st isn't that all important and is a demotion for MLS on Canadian television.  Ever thought of that?  Maybe the CFL is too important to be on July 1st?
   I get some of your points but the demotion part is strange . July 1st is a demotion is odd .

Hank01

As an Ottawa team closest to me a July 1st Sunday game would have been a no brainer with Monday a holiday for most in this government town . I am sure a few other teams could have a good turn out and missed an opportunity to host a game .

Aerial

Maybe bad wording about July 1 and being a demotion.  But really, the CFL doesn't need July 1 IMHO. Give it to MLS for all I care, it's a weekend where I'm beaching and sunning if the weather permits and I'm not thinking sports at all truth be told.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Hank01

Maybe bad wording about July 1 and being a demotion.  But really, the CFL doesn't need July 1 IMHO. Give it to MLS for all I care, it's a weekend where I'm beaching and sunning if the weather permits and I'm not thinking sports at all truth be told.
  I get what your saying Earl love the summer too but your probably not sun tanning at night and a good old game on the tube if your not waiting around for fireworks Sunday may tickle your fancy . If your at the game a fireworks show after the game might fill the gap for pyrotechnics on Canada Day . If the 1st was on Wednesday or Tuesday I say nyet to it but a Sunday with a Monday off is always a good time to host an event .  People are always looking for something to do .

TravelPat1

The Jays have done really well with always having a game at 1:00PM on July 1st.  It is a date they request when MLB is doing their schedule - and the last few years has sold out in advance. It has sort of become a tradition like opening day. 

So especially when Canada Day falls on a Thursday through Monday - I'm kind of surprised the CFL hasn't tried to develop a July 1st tradition of at least one game that day. 

TravelPat1

Last Thursday night's Raptors game against the Cavs averaged 383,000 viewers on Sportsnet - making it the most watched regular season Raptors game on Sportsnet since October 2009. 

On TNT  in the USA it drew 1.8 million viewers which was up 24% compared to the TNT game the same week last year. 

Surprised the numbers were that good considering it was such a blowout with the Raps winning by 34. 

Aerial

The Jays have done really well with always having a game at 1:00PM on July 1st.  It is a date they request when MLB is doing their schedule - and the last few years has sold out in advance. It has sort of become a tradition like opening day.

So especially when Canada Day falls on a Thursday through Monday - I'm kind of surprised the CFL hasn't tried to develop a July 1st tradition of at least one game that day.
Maybe because the CFL would rather not go up agains't a Jays game at home on that day with the Jays doing well as you say on that weekend.  I don't know.  Maybe too many people watching the Jays on this day?

TravelPat1

True Earl. But why not do something like a 6:30PM or 7:00PM start ET at one of the Eastern teams park and post game have a fireworks display. Just a thought.

Hank01

True Earl. But why not do something like a 6:30PM or 7:00PM start ET at one of the Eastern teams park and post game have a fireworks display. Just a thought.
 Especially in the national capital area on a Sunday with the Monday off it would have made sense to host a game . You can have fireworks after the game and still had time to go to Parliament hill to watch more fireworks if you time the game right maybe a 6 pm start . A lost opportunity both on TV and for the fans attending .

TravelPat1

Finally Numeris has posted ratings from late December and early January. 

For the week of December 25 - 31
http://assets.numeris.ca/Downloads/December%2025,%202017%20-%20December%2031,%202017%20(National).pdf

Four World Juniors Preliminary games involving Canada that week averaged 1,806,000 on TSN to land in the #1 spot that week. (They did not break the ratings out by game for some reason)

Other sports in the Top 30 included:
# 12 - NFL - Late games on CTV on Sunday Dec. 31 - 783,000
# 17 - NHL - Wednesday night hockey Dec. 27 - Sportsnet - 719,000 (Oilers @ Jets)
# 18 - NHL - Sunday Hometown Hockey 3:30PM ET Dec. 31 Sportsnet - 712,000 (Leafs @ Vegas) 
# 25 - NHL - Sunday Hometwon Hockey 7:00PM ET Dec. 31 Sportsnet - 640,000 (Jets @ Oilers)
# 27 - NFL - Early games on CTV on Sunday Dec. - 627,000

TravelPat1

And here the ratings or January 1 - 7

http://assets.numeris.ca/Downloads/December%2025,%202017%20-%20December%2031,%202017%20(National).pdf

# 4 - TSN - Avg for 3 World Juniors games - Canada's quarter-final, semi-final & final - 2,279,000
# 11 - CBC - HNIC - January 6th - Canucks @ Leafs - 1,386,000
# 26 - CTV - Avg. of 2 NFL playoff games - 4:20PM Saturday and Sunday - 1,028,000 (Tennessee @ KC and Carolina @ New Orleans)
# 30 - CTV  - NFL 8:00PM Saturday - Atlanta @ LA Rams - 944,000  (not too bad against HNIC)

TravelPat1

That incredible Saints - Vikings game had incredible ratings south of the border.  Incredible that is for any sport other than the NFL. Not that great by NFL standards.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/01/nfl-playoff-ratings-saints-vikings/

Sunday’s Saints-Vikings NFC Divisional Round game drew a 19.3 rating and 35.65 million viewers on FOX, per Nielsen fast-nationals — down 26% in ratings and 27% in viewership from Packers-Cowboys last year, the most-watched early round NFL playoff game on record (26.1, 48.5M),

The Vikings’ thrilling, walk-off win had an additional streaming audience of 376,000 viewers on Fox Sports GO, the largest non-Super Bowl audience ever on the platform and a 4% increase over last year (363K).

Viewership peaked with 46.1 million viewers from 8-8:15 PM ET.

It should be noted that famine for the NFL would constitute a celebrated feast for most other sporting events. Not counting the Olympics, Saints-Vikings outdrew all-but-one non-NFL sporting event in the past 17 years — Game 7 of the 2016 World Series (40.1M).

Aerial

Yes, I don't think the NFL has too much to worry about that's for sure even with a dip in ratings.

The Last Word

Thanks for those rating updates Pat.  I would have thought with the delay in posting the ratings for the World Juniors that we would see some terrible viewership numbers.  Turns out that is not the case.  Nearly a 2.3 million average for the QF, SM and Finals seems to be pretty good.  I wonder how that compares to the last few years...in particular, the World Juniors in Toronto and Montreal 1 and 3 years ago.

I'm not surprised about the ratings drop for the Orleans - Vikings matchup.  Vikings have a pretty decent fanbase in the midwest and they are a mid-sized market but it in no way holds the cache or significance of the Packers fanbase.  New Orleans is one of the smallest markets in the league and has one of the smallest fanbases.  No comparison to the Cowboys with probably the largest fanbase in the US.  With that said, if the Cowboys and Packers met in the playoffs again this year, I'm sure the ratings would be down, just not as steep as the 25% or so decrease the Vikings - Saints matchup experienced.

TravelPat1

Thanks for those rating updates Pat.  I would have thought with the delay in posting the ratings for the World Juniors that we would see some terrible viewership numbers.  Turns out that is not the case.  Nearly a 2.3 million average for the QF, SM and Finals seems to be pretty good.  I wonder how that compares to the last few years...in particular, the World Juniors in Toronto and Montreal 1 and 3 years ago.
The January 2015 numbers for the World Juniors medal round games for Canada in Toronto

Quarters vs. Denmark -  3,000,000
Semis vs. Slovakia - 3,900,000
Finals vs. Russia - 6,000,000

So average for the three - 4,300,000 if my math is right. So this year was a drop of 2,000,000 compared to 3 years ago.

In Montreal last year the Gold Medal game drew 4.2 million on TSN. Can't seem to quickly find QF and SF ratings. 

Users Online

132 Guests, 13 Users (14 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Sidney, schmenger, VICIOUSCIRCLE, ed ohmnes, ExPat, Hammertown Proud, FootbalYouBet, J5V, Allek, 15_championships, KevinRiley2, tcmike, Chris_87, Google (14)

Most Online Today: 177. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)