jaybird24

From what I have seen of the TFC crowd,  they are a pretty young bunch.  I would guess that the average age in attendance would be under 30.
They are a loyal bunch and have a lot of fun at the games,  they travel to away games too and march into other stadiums with their flags and chanting
How much these young folk actually really are truly soccer fans, who knows, but it's a night/day out for them that they can chant and hold each other arm and arm and all of that and they know the older folk aren't into that in sports in Canada, generally and aren't going to be there at the stadium to impinge on this younger uniquessness thingy.  .I mean if anyone offered me free tickets to TFC I'd respectfully decline and tell them to give them to people that appreciate soccer for entertainment, couldn't care less about the young social factor, but that's just me

So it works, hey, whatever I say jaybird.  A different younger bunch going to games for whatever reason.  It works.  But only 3 MLS teams in Canada so there needs to be something else to take the sport as entertainment here.  I guess that's the forthcoming Canadian pro league.  Don't know.
I have only been to one TFC game,  I went with a soccer guy who had tickets.   It was a sell-out 30k, just like you I probably wouldn't buy tickets but the impressive thing is that people will show up,  if the tickets are cheap or whatever.   We are older and didn't grow up with soccer,  the fans at BMO and in Montreal are young people that grew up in Canada with the game.
The concern with the Argos is that even with cheap tickets and give aways that fans will not show up.
The Argo fans are an older bunch and declining every year.  As the baby boomers get older they no longer want to go to the stadium, especially to sit outdoors in cold weather.
It's a Toronto thing though,  Ottawa doesn't have a problem with young people going to CFL games and Hamilton has a lot of old guys too at their games but young people too.

Not sure how the Canadian pro league will do,   I know that Ottawa dropped out of the NASL because of high travel costs,  they were flying out to places like Edmonton and down to Florida.
The new Tier 2 league that they moved to places them with teams in the North East US and a lot less costs and time for travel.     They average around 7k for their games which is pretty good for a Tier 2 or 3 league.   When you consider that Canada is primarily a hockey country,  crowds of 7k would be pretty good for the AHL or Junior hockey.

TravelPat1

Numeris Top 30 for Monday September 18 - Sunday September 24th.  

http://assets.numeris.ca/Downloads/September%2018,%202017%20-%20September%2024,%202017%20(National).pdf

Three sports related events.  
10 - CTV - Invictus Games Opening - 1,001,000
26 - CTV - NFL late (4:25PM) game - 635,000
30 - CTV - NFL early (1:00PM) games - 618,000

No sign of the Jays that week.

Aerial

Had the Jays be in it for a playoff position, they would have had huge ratings I'm sure.  NFL with all the Canadians doing betting on games, no wonder they have high ratings in Canada and the US of A.  It's a gamblers piece of heaven and that's a huge reason why the NFL will continue to garner high ratings despite youth leagues and high schools dropping the sport all over the place.  The sport itself is tanking at the youth level, but not at the gamblers adult level and the NFL doesn't care why people watch, as long as they watch.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

jaybird24

Had the Jays be in it for a playoff position, they would have had huge ratings I'm sure.  NFL with all the Canadians doing betting on games, no wonder they have high ratings in Canada and the US of A.  It's a gamblers piece of heaven and that's a huge reason why the NFL will continue to garner high ratings despite youth leagues and high schools dropping the sport all over the place.  The sport itself is tanking at the youth level, but not at the gamblers adult level and the NFL doesn't care why people watch, as long as they watch.
I wouldn't think that the CFL would care why people watch either,  as long as they watch.
It's a broad statement to say that 680,000 Canadians on average are watching the NFL games because they bet on it.
When my buddies get together to watch an NFL game,  I don't think any of them are betting on the game.    I've been to Bills games and there are a lot of families and young people there,  I doubt too many are watching because they bet on the game.
We know from the stats that the NFL TV ratings in Canada are up especially among young people.   The NFL ratings are down in the US,  they speculate it's a combination of more people streaming and a lot of people fed up with the politics.

TravelPat1

It was another mixed bag weekend for the NFL last weekend.  The Sunday Night stinker had bad ratings for NBC, and the Raiders - Bronco late Sunday afternoon national game did poorly for CBS. But the Sunday 1:00PM games on Fox had the highest ratings in six years for that time slot. 

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/10/nfl-ratings-2017-cowboys-patriots-singleheader-fox-viewership/

TravelPat1

Very good ratings for the HNIC openers on CBC, Sportsnet and CITY for Rogers on Saturday night.

2.27 million average for the early games, and 1.5 million for the late games with 8.7 million Canadians having watched part of one of the games on HNIC on Saturday night.

http://media.sportsnet.ca/2017/10/stunning-season-opening-saturday-for-hockey-night-in-canada/

- Season premiere broadcast reached 8.7 million Canadians across all networks.

- Average minute audience for the games at 7 p.m. ET/ 4 p.m. PT (NY Rangers @ Toronto Maple Leafs; Montreal Canadiens @ Washington Capitals; Detroit Red Wings @ Ottawa Senators) was 2.27 million viewers, making it the second most-watched program of the week.

- Average minute audience for the games at 10 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. PT (Edmonton Oilers @ Vancouver Canucks; Winnipeg Jets @ Calgary Flames) was 1.5 million, marking a 50% increase in viewership over last year’s opening late game broadcast.

- Hockey Night in Canada was the most-watched program of the night.

With how exciting the Leafs look (what a fun comeback last night on TSN4 (in the Leafs region) against the Hawks) - I suspect the Leafs will drive big ratings for the early games on CBC all season long.

Users Online

83 Guests, 3 Users (12 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
PTBO Dave, stevehvh, PatLynch, Google (12)

Most Online Today: 140. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)