KevinRiley2

Another example is the MLS...

They rave about how great the MLS is doing because of the attendance, but they ignore the incredible low TV numbers.

BUT...

If the roles were reversed and the CFL was selling out, while the MLS had great TV numbers while struggling at the gate, they would say, "I would much rather have great TV numbers, because it reflects a country wide interest, as apposed to 30,000 die hard fans".

Again, the CLF cannot win in their eyes.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Mightygoose

Overall a good number although they didn't have to compete with the Jays that night who are still holding their own.

Question for context, Was the season opener on Thursday night broadcasted on both TSN and CTV 2, or just TSN only? I recall the later.

If that's the case, then adding the CTV 2 numbers, it increased the average by 44% compared to stand alone TSN numbers, yet the overall increase year over year is only 26%. Interesting......

letsgoticats

http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/nfl-regular-season-kickoff-on-tsn-and-ctv-two-becomes-most-watched-nfl-season-opener-since-2009-with-814000-viewers/

TORONTO (September 8, 2017) – Last night’s stunning 42-27 upset victory by the Kansas City Chiefs over the defending SUPER BOWL champion New England Patriots on TSN and CTV Two saw the network’s draw the most-watched NFL season opener since 2009. Preliminary overnight data from Numeris confirms that 814,000 viewers (563,000 on TSN; 251,000 on CTV Two) watched the game, up 26% compared to last year’s season opener on TSN, making it the most-watched program on specialty television, and the Top 5 program of the night overall.
The game also saw a double-digit increase in A25-54 (+42%), ranking as the #3 program of the night in the demo. In all, 3.6 million Canadians watched some or all of the networks’ live game coverage.
And you will notice Bell Media is using Numeris figures in this press release.
The CFL needs to get on CTV.  It limits our numbers.
Paulo Senra‏ @paulosenra 22h22 hours ago
 More

• Copy link to Tweet
  • Embed Tweet
Notable: #NFL season opener last night averaged 814,000 across Canada (via @TSN_PR). #CFL season opener (June) averaged 869,000 nationally.

travel pat missed this part. Good number for NFL on TSN and CTV. Great number for CFL
He didn't miss it.  He chose to ignore it.

Pat and Jim will NEVER say anything good about the CFL.  I have grown to accept it.  You need to, as well.

Example :

They will be first to tell you that the Jays numbers are among the best, even in off years, in Major League Baseball.  At which point, a CFL fan will say, "Well doesn't that say a lot about the CFL numbers - which are often better than Jays numbers in off years".  

At which time, Jim/Pat will go on about how CFL numbers are no good because <fill in the blank>.

Not sure why, but it is ever-present.  You can call them out on it, but they don't care, nor do they see the hypocrisy.  
But, Pat didn't say anything bad about the CFL.  He just posted a press release stating NFL ratings, didn't make any comparisons.  Why is every CFL fan on this board so damn defensive?  

KevinRiley2

http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/nfl-regular-season-kickoff-on-tsn-and-ctv-two-becomes-most-watched-nfl-season-opener-since-2009-with-814000-viewers/

TORONTO (September 8, 2017) – Last night’s stunning 42-27 upset victory by the Kansas City Chiefs over the defending SUPER BOWL champion New England Patriots on TSN and CTV Two saw the network’s draw the most-watched NFL season opener since 2009. Preliminary overnight data from Numeris confirms that 814,000 viewers (563,000 on TSN; 251,000 on CTV Two) watched the game, up 26% compared to last year’s season opener on TSN, making it the most-watched program on specialty television, and the Top 5 program of the night overall.
The game also saw a double-digit increase in A25-54 (+42%), ranking as the #3 program of the night in the demo. In all, 3.6 million Canadians watched some or all of the networks’ live game coverage.
 More

• Copy link to Tweet
  • Embed Tweet
Notable: #NFL season opener last night averaged 814,000 across Canada (via @TSN_PR). #CFL season opener (June) averaged 869,000 nationally.

travel pat missed this part. Good number for NFL on TSN and CTV. Great number for CFL

Pat and Jim will NEVER say anything good about the CFL.  I have grown to accept it.  You need to, as well.

Example :

They will be first to tell you that the Jays numbers are among the best, even in off years, in Major League Baseball.  At which point, a CFL fan will say, "Well doesn't that say a lot about the CFL numbers - which are often better than Jays numbers in off years".  

At which time, Jim/Pat will go on about how CFL numbers are no good because <fill in the blank>.

Not sure why, but it is ever-present.  You can call them out on it, but they don't care, nor do they see the hypocrisy.  
But, Pat didn't say anything bad about the CFL.  He just posted a press release stating NFL ratings, didn't make any comparisons.  Why is every CFL fan on this board so damn defensive?  
That's true.  I get very defensive when it comes to Patrick's (and Jim's) comments about other Leagues.  I need to stop because I feel lousy about it after.

It is my posting weak spot and I fall on that grenade over and over, again.

TravelPat1

I didn't choose to ignore anything Kevin.

I actually went to the Bell Media PR website numerous times this week to see if they had ever put out any kind of a release about the Labour Day weekend ratings. Instead the only ratings related press release Bell Media chose to release this week was the one I posted about there NFL opener ratings. I then posted it here in the off topic other sports rating thread where it belongs - without any comment of my own about those ratings. 

I didn't realize Kevin that I was required to do extra research and search social media for comparisons to other ratings before being able to post a Bell Media press release here. ::)  

TravelPat1

Overall a good number although they didn't have to compete with the Jays that night who are still holding their own.

Question for context, Was the season opener on Thursday night broadcasted on both TSN and CTV 2, or just TSN only? I recall the later.

If that's the case, then adding the CTV 2 numbers, it increased the average by 44% compared to stand alone TSN numbers, yet the overall increase year over year is only 26%. Interesting......
Hey goose. Last year Rogers had rights to the Thursday night games and they showed them on Sportsnet and Omni I believe so that they could simsub the NBC signal. 

I'll be curious to see what happens to the weekly Sunday night ratings in comparison to last year. Last year they were only on TSN and I often argued the ratings which were normally in the 400,000 - 500,000 range were likely missing an unknown number of Canadians who were watching on the NBC stations instead. This year Sunday night games are going to also be on CTV2 - meaning all those watching on NBC will this year get the simsubbed CTV2 signal and be counted in those ratings. 

I'll be curious to see what sort of bump that provides to the Sunday night NFL ratings.  

KevinRiley2

I didn't choose to ignore anything Kevin.

I actually went to the Bell Media PR website numerous times this week to see if they had ever put out any kind of a release about the Labour Day weekend ratings. Instead the only ratings related press release Bell Media chose to release this week was the one I posted about there NFL opener ratings. I then posted it here in the off topic other sports rating thread where it belongs - without any comment of my own about those ratings.

I didn't realize Kevin that I was required to do extra research and search social media for comparisons to other ratings before being able to post a Bell Media press release here. ::)  
You're right.  I was wrong to be upset and attack.  This topic is my Achilles heal.  

I apologize.

vampiresquid

In contrast, Thursday night NFL ratings were down 14% YoY in the US and worst since 2008.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/09/nfl-kickoff-lowest-rated-nine-years-least-watched-nbc/

vanhalendlrband

More

• Copy link to Tweet
  • Embed Tweet

Example :

He chose not to mention it.

And again you have an NFL game on two networks and it cant even beat the CFL on one cable channel.
Retired Buffalo quarterback Jim Kelly said this week. "I wouldn\'t want to see anything jeopardize the CFL and what the Toronto Argonauts have done here, and I wouldn\'t want to see anything happen with the Buffalo Bills."

TravelPat1

And again you have an NFL game on two networks and it cant even beat the CFL on one cable channel.
Hmm.  Well I would certainly hope the CFL would win that ratings battle considering it would have the benefit of all the fans of two home market teams to bump those ratings significantly compared to ratings for a game between two out of market teams. 

How much bigger are ratings for a Jays (home market) versus Yankees game on Sportsnet compared to when they show a Red Sox (not a home maket) versus Yankees game?  

KevinRiley2

Hmm.  Well I would certainly hope the CFL would win that ratings battle considering it would have the benefit of all the fans of two home market teams to bump those ratings significantly compared to ratings for a game between two out of market teams.

How much bigger are ratings for a Jays (home market) versus Yankees game on Sportsnet compared to when they show a Red Sox (not a home maket) versus Yankees game?  
Why not just give the CFL credit where credit is due? 

Sadly, Patrick will NEVER change.  :(

TravelPat1

Home teams bump overall national TV ratings because of the big spike in the local markets of the teams playing. 

So when there is not even one real home team involved as is the case with NFL telecasts - that impacts what we should expect for an overall rating compared to a CFL broadcast with two home markets every game where there should be a significant local spike in viewers that should boosgt the overall national numbers as a result. Saying that is not being critical of the CFL - it is simply stating a fact. 

Just an example along those lines.  Oklahoma played Ohio State on Saturday night and it averaged a 5.3 rating nationally in the USA.  But a significant part of that national rating was  because the game drew such huge local ratings in Oklahoma and Ohio. A huge 39.6 rating in Columbus, a 33.4 rating in Oklahoma City, a 25.4 rating in Tulsa OK, a 22.6 rating in Dayton OH, a 19.5 rating in Akron-Cleveland. 

Without those local spikes the overal national rating would have been nowhere near 5.3 overall. 

KevinRiley2

Home teams bump overall national TV ratings because of the big spike in the local markets of the teams playing.

So when there is not even one real home team involved as is the case with NFL telecasts - that impacts what we should expect for an overall rating compared to a CFL broadcast with two home markets every game where there should be a significant local spike in viewers that should boosgt the overall national numbers as a result. Saying that is not being critical of the CFL - it is simply stating a fact.

Just an example along those lines.  Oklahoma played Ohio State on Saturday night and it averaged a 5.3 rating nationally in the USA.  But a significant part of that national rating was  because the game drew such huge local ratings in Oklahoma and Ohio. A huge 39.6 rating in Columbus, a 33.4 rating in Oklahoma City, a 25.4 rating in Tulsa OK, a 22.6 rating in Dayton OH, a 19.5 rating in Akron-Cleveland.

Without those local spikes the overal national rating would have been nowhere near 5.3 overall.
That's not the point, Patrick.  

The point is : The tiny CFL produced higher ratings on 1 cable station, than the BIGGEST BADDEST League in the World on 2 stations - one of which was OTA.

Again, for once, just give credit where credit is due.  It won't hurt, I promise.

TravelPat1

T
Actually Kevin it is THE point - at least the one I'm trying to make. One a game with two home markets should draw the better ratings - especially considering how many surveys have been posted talking about how there are at least as many fans of the CFL in Canada as there are of the NFL.  

Therefore two home teams should mean better ratings. Not sure why you have an issue with that. 

PTBO Dave

There are many points one could make when comparing the TV numbers. As Pat points out, the CFL has the advantage of having the home markets. As others point out, the NFL has the advantage of advertising budget (thus reaching more eyes than CFL advertising) and of being broadcast on 2 stations (thus getting in to more households than CFL broadcasts). The overall result is stronger ratings for the CFL, as one would expect considering it is the more popular league in Canada.

Users Online

198 Guests, 12 Users (16 Spiders, 4 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
safetyblitz, vampiresquid, GHT120, cheater, Chewbaca1973, catfish, Grover, PatLynch, Yahoo!, Google (15)

Most Online Today: 300. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)