KevinRiley2

I heard Patrick is on a roof somewhere, threatening to jump, because the Jays numbers have fallen to 500K in a blink.

Wow.  With 64 games left, it will only get worse.   :rockin:
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Aerial

The Jays I'm sure have a huge proportion of bandwagon type fans in comparison to CFL teams so if they start playing well again I'd assume their numbers will skyrocket accordingly.  Have to remember the Jays are Canada's only MLB team so it's a different gestalt comparing their numbers with any CFL team in a 9 team Canadian domestic league.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Mirage

I can also report that numeris made a change to Rogers Sportsnet ratings for regional. meaning their information will give a greater indication between local and national viewers which I assume will be where the larger viewership drop will come from.

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "Mirage"
I can also report that numeris made a change to Rogers Sportsnet ratings for regional. meaning their information will give a greater indication between local and national viewers which I assume will be where the larger viewership drop will come from.
Well, assuming those numbers are good, the CFL and TSN have to be happy.  It looks like the Jays have jumped the shark and that can only help OUR League.

Mirage

As requested I will post other sport tv ratings in this thread.

I got PM for Blue Jays vs Athletics on SN and the ratings have not been released as of 2:25 Tuesday.

Mirage

Athletics at Blue Jays     SN    520k

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "Mirage"
Athletics at Blue Jays     SN    520k
LOVE IT!  Thank you. :)

oskee7777

Mirage
    I also thank you for joining the board. Since Chris Zelkovich stopped publishing the Canadian TV ratings in the Star and later in his blog, we have not seen consistent ratings.
    Truly appreciate you sharing.
    Although I appreciated that travelpat would post the figures each week, I agree with the other posters that he constantly tried to twist the numbers in favour of the Blue Jays and/or the NFL without my merit. Not sure why he posts on a CFL board when he is so negative towards the league.
    My biggest pet peeve with him is that I work with a large corporation that advertises during CFL broadcasts. We regularly talk about how great value we get with our ad time as compared with the NFL dollar for dollar. For example on a Sunday afternoon the NFL may have 3 different games televised. The figures released for the 1pm time slot for example would be a COMBINED audience of all 3 games. Pat would post that the NFL outdrew the CFL again. When in reality you had 3 separate sets of fans watching - ie Steelers on one game, Bills on another and say Seahawks in another. And the ratings for the 3 NFL games would be about the same as the ONE CFL game. When there is only one CFL game against one NFL game the CFL is almost always higher....but Pat just couldn't understand.
    Hoping with you being in the industry we will now get a true look into the Canadian TV ratings.

AuburnWild

Mirage, can you tell me which TSN is the main one?

vampiresquid

It depends on where you live. TSN1 is the main for BC. TSN4 for Southern Ontario and so on.

TravelPat1

I'm glad Mirage has access to these ratings too.

But in response to Oskees post. Remember TV ratings are all about determining what you can charge for an ad. Revenue for the league that can be generated from TV contracts are related almost directly to the revenue their TV partners can generate from their advertisers.

So when a 1:00PM NFL game on CTV (that might be different games in different areas of the country) are all part of the same NATIONAL ad buy  i.e.   the national commercials running at the end of the 1st quarter of let's say the Bills game on CTV in Southern Ontario would be the exact same ad that would run perhaps seconds or minutes later in real time on CTV in Alberta that might be showing a Packers game and the exact same ad that runs on CTV in Atlantic Canada at the end of the 1st quarter in let's say a Patriots game.  The advertiser wants to know total numbers and the demographics of those that the ad they are buying will be exposed to.

So it only makes sense that the national number is reported if you are going to compare the national CFL telecast to a national NFL progam for which an advertiser is buying an ad to run nationally.  And apparently the demographics of the NFL audience have been more appealing to advertisers as you can tell from all the beer ads on NFL telecasts targetting the 25-49 desireable target market.  

And again keep in mind in terms of the numbers game - that national CTV number is still missing out on some watching the NFL at that time because in some markets (like swaths of Southern Ontario) CTV might be showing the Bills game that might be simulcasting over the CBS or Fox Buffalo feed - yet millions of us here can still see a Detroit Lions game playing on the FOX or CBS Detroit station we get on our cable here in Hamilton and throughout Southwestern Ontario.

If some of you think pointing that factual information out - makes this lifelong Ti-Cats fan who has attended well over 250 CFL games in my lifetime - somehow anti-CFL - well I respectfully disagree.

oskee7777

Travelpat. Thanks for the response. I mean no disrespect. From memory we both live in Dundas and both go to games. But I guess I am a glass half full kind of person. Your posts always do seem to be pro Blue Jays and/or NFL, and almost always seem anti-CFL.  
    But to get to the point, this thread is not just about what to charge for an ad. Yes that is certainly why they have companies like Numeris tracking it. However, the point I have been trying to get across to you, both on this board and our Ticats board is that the CFL one game ratings when compared to the one game NFL ratings are terrific.
    I will take it one step farther. Lets look at a Sunday NFL time slot where these networks show multiple NFL games.  Let's say it's 3 games and for even better comparison, let's say the games are in Buffalo, Chicago and Seattle. They have 800,000 combined viewers.  The CFL game in Edmonton draws 700,000 viewers. Your posts are always so negative towards the Canadian game. What if Saskatchewan also played at home as do the Alouettes at the exact same time. Are you going to tell me that the viewership would still only be 700,000?  Absolutely not. If there was a time (which will likely never happen) when 3 Cdn games were on at once, the viewers would at least double.
   My point is just as the NFL has fans in each region who watch their own teams but have a much smaller interest in the other games, CFL fans are the same. Both leagues do have fans of course who watch every game as well.
    Anyway too long of a post. But please compare apples to apples.  Not 3 or 4 combined NFL games compared to a single CFL contest.

Thanks

ActionNews

Blue Jays tv ratings last week

July 28 vs LAA  620k
July 29 vs LAA 525k
July 30 vs LAA 585k

ActionNews

Vancouver Whitecaps tv ratings

July 29  at FC Dallas TSN2 55k

TFC tv ratings

July 30 vs NYC  TSN   75k

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "oskee7777"
Travelpat. But I guess I am a glass half full kind of person. Your posts always do seem to be pro Blue Jays and/or NFL, and almost always seem anti-CFL...  the CFL one game ratings when compared to the one game NFL ratings are terrific.
Well said.

Patrick and I have duked it out over his CFL posts.  He does not believe his posts have a negative CFL feel.  Most of us disagree.

Users Online

62 Guests, 2 Users (12 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
hanker66, Yahoo!, Google (11)

Most Online Today: 116. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)