TravelPat1

Here's a different number. Canadians watched 9.55 billion minutes of Round One.

Now the more normal numbers.

Last night's Leafs game had a reach of 8.4 million with an average audience of 3.47 million viewers. That is the highest rated NHL game ever on Sportsnet.

All Round 1 games had a total reach of 22.2 million Canadians.

The single most watched game of Round 1 was Game 2: Toronto @ Washington, delivering an average audience of 3.64 million viewers.  Audience levels peaked at 5.36 million viewers at the end of the first overtime.

The five series featuring Canadian teams averaged 1.8 million viewers per game, while the overall average audience for all of Round 1 was 1.3 million viewers.

Fans were also turning to Sportsnet digital platforms for their Round 1 Stanley Cup Playoffs content:
On Sportsnet.ca – daily visitors were up 36% over last year, while video views were up 45%
On Sportsnet NOW – web visitors increased 82% over last year, while visitors to the app increased 167%
On Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE – unique users per game were up 86% over last year, while total minutes streamed were up 71%
http://media.sportsnet.ca/2017/04/9-55- ... t-and-cbc/

drummer_god

"The five series featuring Canadian teams averaged 1.8 million viewers per game, while the overall average audience for all of Round 1 was 1.3 million viewers."

Isn't this in line with CFL opening round playoff numbers?

TravelPat1

Quote from: "drummer_god"
"The five series featuring Canadian teams averaged 1.8 million viewers per game, while the overall average audience for all of Round 1 was 1.3 million viewers."

Isn't this in line with CFL opening round playoff numbers?

Eastern semi (Esks at Cats) was 903,000 and Western semi - Bombers/Lions was 1,060,000.

TravelPat1

NBCSN got their best first round Game 6 rating ever with the Leafs and Caps on Sunday night with 1.2 million viewers. Only two previous Game 7's did they ever have better numbers for. So clearly the presence of a Canadian team didn't hurt that much.

In fact numbers were up overall for NBC's family of networks for Round One compared to last year inspite of there being 5 Canadian teams involved this year plus no series going to a Game 7 for the added bump in ratings that usually provides..

TravelPat1

As you would expect a double overtime Game 7 with a Canadian team had outstanding ratings last night.  The Sportsnet/CBC coverage averaged 4.29 million, peaking at 4.71 million at 11:27PM at the start of the second overtime with a total of 11 million Canadians catching at least a portion of the game.  

Best rating of the playoffs so far and biggest ever for the Sens.

South of the border good numbers too on NBCSN especially considering a Canadian team was involved. It was the 4th largest ever non-Finals playoff game for NBCSN - averaging 2.9 million, peaking at 4.2 million between 11:15PM and 11:30PM.  It was the networks highest ever rating for a playoff game involving a Canadian team.  In Pittsburgh the game drew a record 29.1 rating which basically means 29.1% of households with TV's in Pittsburgh were watching the game.

Mr. Pike

Not a bad start ratings wise for the season .   Average of 851,000 for Als -Riders game last night with 3 million tuning in at one point or another.

http://3downnation.com/2017/06/23/cfl-s ... ince-2013/

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "Argofan_1000"
Quote from: "KevinRiley2"
Quote from: "Argofan_1000"
CFL Communications?Verified account @CFL_PR 21m21 minutes ago
Replying to @CFL_PR

In total, 2.2 million viewers tuned in for some part of the @sskroughriders vs. @Wpg_BlueBombers @CFLonTSN game broadcast. #CFL

also most watched sporting event on Canada Day @ 769,000
Good news.  

Now where's the bad news?   :wink:

wait for Slim and Pat.
As for Jim...

How come, when the TV numbers are good, Jim says they are irrelevant?  But, when they are bad, it's something to worry about?

As for Pat...

When the Jays TV numbers tank, at the end of this year (assuming the Jays continue to lose, I bet they will be down 50%+ from last year), Patrick will dismiss it.  

Always a double standard with Patrick.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

KevinRiley2

When the Jays ratings are down 50%+ in September, I want Patrick and Jim to sound the alarm!!!

TravelPat1

Quote from: "KevinRiley2"
As for Pat...

When the Jays TV numbers tank, at the end of this year (assuming the Jays continue to lose, I bet they will be down 50%+ from last year), Patrick will dismiss it.  

Always a double standard with Patrick.

If the Jays are out of contention their numbers should tank - because when the one team people are fans of are not in a playoff hunt - numbers pretty much always drop in any sport. I know I'll certainly be less likely to watch September games if they are out of it. Same happens in pretty much every sport.  Perfect example the Leafs ratings which dropped significantly two seasons ago because they never were in playoff contention. As a playoff contending team this past season the regular season ratings recovered and their six playoff games were through the roof.  

If that is having a double standard - someone please explain.

The thing that often stumps me with CFL regular season ratings is that sometimes the 'bigger' regular season games some weekends - like a first place battle - doesn't seem to garner any spike in interest. An October first place battle game between the Cats and Redblacks drew only 307,000 last season the worst number of the four games that weekend for a game that should have at least some spike in interest to the two teams fan bases and other CFL fans because of the significance of the game. The NFL numbers almost always coincide with the importance of the game. The better the teams the bigger the ratings as a general rule. Not sure why that relationship seems to so often be missing with CFL ratings. I find that weird.

I'll be interested to hear the ratings for the other games this past weekend. I hope 3Down Nation publishes them again.

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "TravelPat1"
If that is having a double standard - someone please explain.
Because if CFL ratings dropped, even if it was because one of the teams was poor and it caused a 50% dip, you'd deem it shameful, a HUGE concern, and make a big deal out of it.  When it happens to the Jays, it's "Meh".

If the Jays average 400K, per game, for a decade, again, you'd say it didn't matter as long the ratings peaked for a year or 2 when they were good.

All too often, Patrick, you wear Anti-CFL coloured glasses.

letsgoticats

Quote from: "TravelPat1"

The thing that often stumps me with CFL regular season ratings is that sometimes the 'bigger' regular season games some weekends - like a first place battle - doesn't seem to garner any spike in interest. An October first place battle game between the Cats and Redblacks drew only 307,000 last season the worst number of the four games that weekend for a game that should have at least some spike in interest to the two teams fan bases and other CFL fans because of the significance of the game. The NFL numbers almost always coincide with the importance of the game. The better the teams the bigger the ratings as a general rule. Not sure why that relationship seems to so often be missing with CFL ratings. I find that weird.

I think it's because to casual fans, the standings don't seem to particularly matter.   6 of 9 teams make the playoffs.  As long as you're not god awful, you'll be in the playoffs.  I know that the bye week is important, but that's lost on the casual fan.  You don't really get many super important regular season games like you do in the NFL.

Lyle B. Style

TO will maintain crowds of 28,000 to 41,000 for nearly the balance of season.

With 6 of 9 teams making playoffs - they won't be officially exterminated from playoff contention till at least there's only 10 or 12 home games left on the docket - perhaps even 7-9; thus the next 30 games will still be meaningful - even if you're forced to play maritime math with their playoff possibilities.

Even if they're eliminated with 10 games left - the first 2 or 3 of those will still have a s-load of fans cuz of people buying in advance. The final 7 games could take a financial s-kicking but so what - they'll still have 20,000+ at all of them - and with a bobblehead promotion (or get a John Gibbons Variety Pack (8 bags of seeds, 2 pails of double bubble & 3 gallons of mountain dew) you could still get 30,000 to 35,000 out for a couple of so-called "meaningless" games!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

letsgoticats

Quote from: "Lyle B. Style"
TO will maintain crowds of 28,000 to 41,000 for nearly the balance of season.

With 6 of 9 teams making playoffs - they won't be officially exterminated from playoff contention till at least there's only 10 or 12 home games left on the docket - perhaps even 7-9; thus the next 30 games will still be meaningful - even if you're forced to play maritime math with their playoff possibilities.

Even if they're eliminated with 10 games left - the first 2 or 3 of those will still have a s-load of fans cuz of people buying in advance. The final 7 games could take a financial s-kicking but so what - they'll still have 20,000+ at all of them - and with a bobblehead promotion (or get a John Gibbons Variety Pack (8 bags of seeds, 2 pails of double bubble & 3 gallons of mountain dew) you could still get 30,000 to 35,000 out for a couple of so-called "meaningless" games!

Wait.  Are you saying 6 of 9 teams make the playoffs in baseball?  Did you get confused with the CFL? It's actually 5 of 15 that make the playoffs.

Mirage

WEEK 5 AMC Sports Ratings in Canada

Longer week due to games beginning on Wednesday. I likely will just post the CFL #'s that I receive but if asked I can dig up other sports.

WEDNESDAY July 19

Blue Jays at Red Sox      SN        715k
Alouettes at Redblacks  TSN     460k
TFC(soccer at New York TSN     75k
Whitecaps(soccer) at LA TSN    90k

THURSDAY July 20

Blue Jays at Red Sox    SN          650k
Eskimos at Tiger-Cats  TSN       520k

FRIDAY July 21

Blue Bombers at Lions  TSN      650k
Blue Jays at Indians        SN        570k

SATURDAY July 22

Roughriders at Stampeders  TSN   690k
Blue Jays at Indians               SN      520k
Colorado at TFC(soccer)        TSN    40k

SUNDAY July 23

Blue Jays at Indians                  SN     570k
Portland at Whitecaps(soccer) TSN   65k

KevinRiley2

Thanks Mirage!  Well done!!!  Again, thank you!

Assuming the Als got another 200K on RDS, the numbers aren't bad at all.

Jays numbers are dropping FAST!!!  LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

Quote from: "Mirage"
WEEK 5 AMC Sports Ratings in Canada
Longer week due to games beginning on Wednesday. I likely will just post the CFL #'s that I receive but if asked I can dig up other sports.

WEDNESDAY July 19

Blue Jays at Red Sox      SN        715k
Alouettes at Redblacks  TSN     460k
TFC(soccer at New York TSN     75k
Whitecaps(soccer) at LA TSN    90k

THURSDAY July 20

Blue Jays at Red Sox    SN          650k
Eskimos at Tiger-Cats  TSN       520k

FRIDAY July 21

Blue Bombers at Lions  TSN      650k
Blue Jays at Indians        SN        570k

SATURDAY July 22

Roughriders at Stampeders  TSN   690k
Blue Jays at Indians               SN      520k
Colorado at TFC(soccer)        TSN    40k

SUNDAY July 23

Blue Jays at Indians                  SN     570k
Portland at Whitecaps(soccer) TSN   65k

Users Online

85 Guests, 15 Users (15 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Holy Mackinaw, RedandWhite, Stampeder67, BillyDee87, popo, jonny24eh, Gornaldatron, Espo, Taleback, yougottabekidding, pw13, blackandgld, Rick16, sully, raymarkca, Yahoo!, Google (12), Baidu, Alexa

Most Online Today: 123. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)