Grover

Quote from: "Vanhalendlrband2"
Looks like Lions preseason nearly beats out all the euro soccer games in ratings except one game it nearly equalled.

Here are the most-watched sports events from the past weekend, according to Numeris overnight ratings:

1. NHL, Penguins at Sharks, Sunday, CBC-Sportsnet: 2,880,000 (NBC audience not measured)

2. MLB, Orioles at Blue Jays, Sunday, Sportsnet: 1,040,000

3. MLB, Orioles at Blue Jays, Saturday, Sportsnet: 868,000

4. MLB, Orioles at Blue Jays, Friday, Sportsnet One: 778,000

5. Euro soccer, England vs. Russia, Saturday, TSN: 619,000

6. NBA, Warriors at Cavaliers, Friday, Sportsnet: 610,000 (ABC audience not measured)

7. CFL, Lions at Roughriders, Saturday, TSN: 535,000

8. Euro soccer, Germany vs. Ukraine, Sunday, TSN: 496,000

9. Euro soccer, Poland vs. Northern Ireland, Sunday, TSN: 408,000

10. MLB, Red Sox at Twins, Sunday, Sportsnet: 335,000

11. Euro soccer, Romania vs. France, Friday, TSN: 331,000

12. Euro soccer, Wales vs. Slovakia, Saturday, TSN: 311,000

13. Auto racing, F1 Canadian Grand Prix, Sunday, TSN: 263,000

14. Euro soccer, Croatia vs. Turkey, Sunday, TSN: 246,000

15. Euro soccer, Albania vs. Switzerland, Saturday, TSN: 238,000

16. Equestrian, Spruce Meadows National, Saturday, CBC: 221,000

17. MLB, Red Sox at Twins, Saturday, Sportsnet: 194,000

18. PGA, St. Jude Classic final round, Sunday, Global: 162,000

19. MLB, Tigers at Yankees, Saturday, Sportsnet: 160,000

20. Rugby, Canada vs. Japan, Saturday, TSN: 150,000

more here
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/the-gr ... 39800.html

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

tangledweb

Quote from: "slimjim2"
Looks like Lions preseason nearly beats out all the euro soccer games in ratings except one game it nearly equalled.

You mean the "Riders"  pre-season game?  you can always count on all of them Sask fans for bringing up the CFL ratings... :thup:

I suppose the Riders fans were also responsible for the great ratings of the MTL/WINNIPEG pre-season game that drew a half million as well?

:roll:

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "Grover"
CFL CommunicationsVerified account
?@CFL_PR
#CFL fans undeterred by power outage: more than half a million watched the @sskroughriders/@BCLions preseason game.
This could be a good year!!!!  :thup:
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Mightygoose

Half a million for pre-season is a good number how it's sliced. Close to half a million for mid-week is sold to.

BTW, looking at Saturdays numbers...the Jays did not get a million viewers but still good overall. MLS is not even on the radar.

TravelPatB

There are a bunch of good numbers for a bunch of sports from the weekend.

- Great numbers for the CFL game especially considering it is preseason and had a break of about an hour at halftime because of the blackout.
- Finally a big number for the NHL - especially since that doesn't include thousands who may have watched the NBC production of the game.
- Three more big numbers for the Jays - Orioles series.
- Another excellent number for the NBA - especially considering the same broadcast was on ABC
- And I'm sure TSN is happy with the numbers for those first round soccer games. Several hours of soccer (12 hours +) averaging in the 400,000 range overall over the weekend.

Lots of encouraging numbers there.

slimjim2

Quote from: "tangledweb"

You mean the "Riders"  pre-season game?  you can always count on all of them Sask fans for bringing up the CFL ratings... :thup:

I suppose the Riders fans were also responsible for the great ratings of the MTL/WINNIPEG pre-season game that drew a half million as well?

I was commenting on the ratings above - Sask/BC,  there is no listing for the Mtl/Bombers game

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/the-gr ... ml#more-id

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "Mightygoose"
Half a million for a pre-season is a good number no matter how it's sliced. Close to half a million for mid-week is solid, too.  MLS is not even on the radar.
:thup:

Only correction : Change "good" to "great" for a pre-season game.

tangledweb

Quote from: "tangledweb"

I was commenting on the ratings above - Sask/BC,  there is no listing for the Mtl/Bombers game

because mid-week games are not listed by Numeris,  just end of the weekend results.
however, the CFL Communications Dept did post the MTL/WINNIPEG pre-season game ratings at a half a million.

but I guess they are mostly Riders fans right?

TravelPatB

Just a minor note/question regarding the excellent Winnipeg - Montreal number. I'm assuming that included RDS viewers? Anybody know?

Also just for comparison purposes last year in the pre-season a Saturday night game between the Riders and Esks drew only 371,000 viewers (although it was up against a Stanley Cup Playoff Final game that night). But a Friday night pre-season game between the Lions and Stamps drew only 191,000 viewers last season.

So 535,000 this year - is a BIG step up.

Mr. Pike

Quote from: "TravelPatB"
Just a minor note/question regarding the excellent Winnipeg - Montreal number. I'm assuming that included RDS viewers? Anybody know?

Also just for comparison purposes last year in the pre-season a Saturday night game between the Riders and Esks drew only 371,000 viewers (although it was up against a Stanley Cup Playoff Final game that night). But a Friday night pre-season game between the Lions and Stamps drew only 191,000 viewers last season.

I do not even know whether RDS carried the football game that night , I would imagine they aired the TFC /Impact  Amway Cup game , but I am not sure .  Anyways , normally RDS numbers are not included when ratings are released by TSN or The CFL .  If they are included then the press release usually says so .

Tridus

Expected the F1 race to do better, given that it's in Canada and had among the best start times F1 gets for Canadian audiences. Seems like the audience is pretty firm and there isn't a lot of casual interest.

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "TravelPatB"

:thup:

Xvys

535,000 is the average number of viewers over the length of the program...which lasted over 4 hours. I'm sure many fans turned away with the one-hour delay...so over the normal 3-hour game-time the average ratings would likely have been well over 700,000 for the Riders/Lions exhibition game. :thup:

vampiresquid

BTW, looking at Saturdays numbers...the Jays did not get a million viewers but still good overall. MLS is not even on the radar.

No MLS matches were on last weekend due to Copa America. Euros not really an issue since only 3 MLS players are in it.

2 of the Euros were on at 9am eastern, so if any program can get 200k+ at that hour, those are very good ratings.

Paolo X

First Travel Pat thanks again for this excellent work and a second year at it.  :thup:

Quote from: "vampiresquid"

No MLS matches were on last weekend due to Copa America. Euros not really an issue since only 3 MLS players are in it.

2 of the Euros were on at 9am eastern, so if any program can get 200k+ at that hour, those are very good ratings.

1) I am amazed that Euro 2016 pulls so strongly in Canada for the weekend games. Each game is getting multiples of the ratings in Canada than the English Premier League, which otherwise is quite popular in the US. I wonder why? Is it perhaps viewing by various ethnic groups?

2) MLS was wise to suspend play during Copa America considering also that it would be a logistical challenge for some teams here in the US, but I am thoroughly disappointed at the bush-league antics of that tournament and have lost interest altogether.

And you would think it could not be worse for overwhelmingly most soccer fans in North America than MLS not counting some of the minor leagues, but it can!

How is it in this day and age that we have a guy score from a handball that on video is obvious and not well-concealed as was Maradona's hand of God? And the referee originally got the call for no goal right, with the reason not given, but inexplicably overturned his own call!  :thdn:  :thdn:  :thdn:

Abajo con Copa America!
Best Regards, Paolo

Users Online

104 Guests, 16 Users (15 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Count Floyd, dcmoses, themuck, Stampeder67, everyman, EastVanMark, mycko75, SteelCitySteve, Sidney, Taleback, ExPat, Bayargonaut00, Mightygoose, Yahoo!, Google (13), Baidu

Most Online Today: 154. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)