Aerial

NCAA is a pro league for what they play players for a full scholarship et al. over 4 seasons or so.  IMHO.  Probably more money than some CFL players truth be told.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

brihind88

Paid means pro. By definition.

What I am saying the other leagues do not matter.

Who is the best team in the KHL ?

Dynamo , Red Army, Spartak, do not know or care.

Whoever the KHL champion is , would not even make the NHL play offs.

Again, I am just glad the NHL is out of the Olympics.

Young kids are gonna get a shot.

That is what is important.

letsgoticats

The team is no younger than it would have been if NHL players were allowed to play.  

Hank01

The team is no younger than it would have been if NHL players were allowed to play.  
    The Las Vegas Boogie Nights AHL team is first in the west conference of the NHL I am sure the KHL champs would hold their own in the watered down version of the 2017 - 2018 NHL . I am sure some Swedish elite League teams as well would do alright in todays NHL .

everyman

It is perhaps the oldest team Canada has ever assembled

brihind88

It is perhaps the oldest team Canada has ever assembled
OK, is this the same team that was in the Spengler Cup ?

Palmer

I anticipate there to be a difference in quality between the "best players in the Euro leagues and the KHL" and the "best Canadian players in the Euro leagues and the KHL".  IMO it will be like the World Cup of Football where the Brits confuse the "best players in the English Premier League" with the "best English players in the Premier League."

We know the "best" Canadian players are siphoned off into the NHL and perhaps the AHL.  Some of the Euro players might possibily be equally as good, but for whatever reasons, have chosen not to migrate to North America.  I think the Olympics will be a fairly level pool of talent, but a number of the Euro teams might have the edge over us through familiarity with each other and the coaching staff, if not an edge in talent.  It should be an interesting tournament, maybe more like the World Juniors or the Spengler Cup in eveness of talent.

sambo42

I only counted 7 players that played in the Spengler Cup on the roster, so it won't be the same team at the Olympics. Most were in the KHL, so I'm betting that most of those weren't being released to play in that tournament. There could be more than what I counted, if Canada took Canadians that were playing on the other teams at the Spengler. 

brihind88

I only counted 7 players that played in the Spengler Cup on the roster, so it won't be the same team at the Olympics. Most were in the KHL, so I'm betting that most of those weren't being released to play in that tournament. There could be more than what I counted, if Canada took Canadians that were playing on the other teams at the Spengler.
Thanks for the detailed info Sambo.

Iconic SR

I think both should be great as long as Canada is competitive.
Canada still produces the best hockey players and with no active NHL players in the games, we still have many ex NHL (or easily could be active) NHL players on our squad. Plus the rest who are on the bubble. I think it will be great hockey and the NHL likely won’t ever pull this (not allowing its players to play) again because these guys will get attention that the NHL now will not. 

NHL scouts are gonna love the games. 

Aerial

I think it'll be much more interesting than NHL players playing who even if they lose, who cares, they have so many millions.  These guys will take the Olympics much more seriously and have so much more to gain by not only winning but just participating.  And much more exciting because of this.

sambo42

I'm not sure it will be exciting hockey, but it will be interesting to say the least. The Russians can't use their "amateurs" (Red Army) like they used to have, there is no telling who the favourites are, and who will be watching when the medal round begins.

Aerial

Fair enough sambo, not more exciting but definitely has a different intrigue factor that does make it interesting.

Users Online

79 Guests, 9 Users (15 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
VICIOUSCIRCLE, Balticfox, tcmike, TeddyFay, Mightygoose, Grover, chiefdkm, Niagara Als, Google (AdSense) (3), Google (11), Baidu

Most Online Today: 192. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)