Aerial

Well it seems Numeris has a relationship with Nielsen, whatever this means or implies. Who knows:

In television, Numeris is partnered with the American company Nielsen in a joint venture which measures the Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal Anglo and Montreal Franco markets, [8] the Ontario region and national ratings figures via Portable People Meters. Numeris is the senior partner in the joint venture, and also continues to independently monitor some markets — primarily the francophone television market in Quebec, and some smaller media markets — which are not served by the joint operation, through diaries.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numeris

Interesting:

Kate Taylor: Numeris is calling, but Canadians need more information about TV ratings

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/numeris-is-calling-but-canadians-need-more-information-about-tv-ratings/article22838581/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

And it seems Rogers actually hasn't been all that hunky dory with Numeris:

Another recent howler was when Rogers dismissed Numeris’ data as meaningless when media latched on to the lower NHL ratings, and followed that up with, of course, the usual braggy media releases about their US series acquisitions. Numeris is the company that provides ratings to all the networks. You either accept them as statistically meaningful, more or less, or you don’t, but you don’t get to pick the numbers you like and discard the ones you don’t.
http://www.tv-eh.com/2015/03/19/lies-damned-lies-and-ratings/

Also I see that Numeris is adopting a new analytics methodology.  Interesting:

How Canada’s 73-year-old radio and TV audience data service is adopting analytics

“To get our ideal sample number we have to dial around 2 million households annually. With SAS Viya [SAS’ artificial intelligence platform], we will be able to shift to a centralized business intelligence tool,  SAS Visual Analytics, so users from across departments can collaborate,” said Gray.

https://www.itworldcanada.com/article/how-canadas-73-year-old-radio-and-tv-audience-data-service-is-adopting-analytics/396939
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

TravelPat1

Final Jays numbers for 2017. 

The Bad - the team.

76 - 86 ten games below .500

4th place in the AL East, 17 games out of 1st and 9 out of a wildcard.

The Good - the support they got

39,554 per game

2nd in the AL, 5th in MLB.

Aerial

Jays fans love the Rogers Centre, no need for Rogers to even think about a new stadium.  Rogers is loving that and laughing in the board room, no question.  All they have to do each year is put out some report that they are looking into grass for the RC, year after year after year, Jays fans will buy into it easily.  ;)

What can I say, they love their team, good on them, Rogers loves you guys!!!  Keep buying those tickets in Taranta for dem Jays.  Super cool!  ;)

Lyle B. Style

Jays fans love the Rogers Centre, no need for Rogers to even think about a new stadium.  Rogers is loving that and laughing in the board room, no question.  All they have to do each year is put out some report that they are looking into grass for the RC, year after year after year, Jays fans will buy into it easily.  ;)

What can I say, they love their team, good on them, Rogers loves you guys!!!  Keep buying those tickets in Taranta for dem Jays.  Super cool!  ;)
Its too bad the Rogers Centre is still very serviceable - cuz the atmosphere is ripe for Rogers and other Jays owners including Sportsnet to rough-house Premier Katy Wynne for unlimited funds towards a spanking new facility.

A similar facility like the latest MLB stadiums holding up to 60,000 could run as high as 1.25 billion. . . . . great make-work project - - - - and Rogers would want no less than 650 to 700 million in direct grants, supports and mortage guarantees.

Rogers could probably serve up a similar bowl of baseball barf similar to this season's 76 win vomit-fest and fans would show up in droves - - its the outing, not the team remember. Larger problem is gradual decline of TV audiences if the product continues to reek of garbage. However, an 80 to 85 win team on the verge of a wild card spot - that might actually stabilize attendance to current levels!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 27 YEARS, COUNTING!

Aerial

Tampa will get a new stadium more baseball friendly before Toronto because people aren't going to games in enough numbers in Tampa.  And Tampa's stadium actually looks to me more like a baseball facility than the Rogers Centre, IMHO! Toronto has no incentive because the fans do attend games in large numbers and seem to be having a grand ol' time.  Hey, if it isn't broke no need to fix it as they say.

Rogers has done well, very well, with both acquiring the Blue Jays and making the round bowl Rogers Centre seem like a fantastic baseball facility.  Good on them!

Argofan_1000

Tampa will get a new stadium more baseball friendly before Toronto because people aren't going to games in enough numbers in Tampa.  And Tampa's stadium actually looks to me more like a baseball facility than the Rogers Centre, IMHO! Toronto has no incentive because the fans do attend games in large numbers and seem to be having a grand ol' time.  Hey, if it isn't broke no need to fix it as they say.

Rogers has done well, very well, with both acquiring the Blue Jays and making the round bowl Rogers Centre seem like a fantastic baseball facility.  Good on them!
Rogers bought the Skydome for 25 million after we were suckered into paying 600 Million for it and then they kick the Argos out. F them. Don't ask me for 1 cent towards anything Rogers related - EVER! and don't hide a new stadium behind a world cup bid - most of the country doesn't care

Aerial

Argofan, remember though, Rogers isn't a social service agency.  It's a company, nothing more and nothing less, and their job is to get what they can get to make the most money for their business at the least cost.  For their shareholders.  It's a business.  What they care about is making money, like any business.

Lyle B. Style

Argofan, remember though, Rogers isn't a social service agency.  It's a company, nothing more and nothing less, and their job is to get what they can get to make the most money for their business at the least cost.  For their shareholders.  It's a business.  What they care about is making money, like any business.
Blue Jays remind me of Winnipeg Jets.

Off the field (or rink) both teams do almost everything right.

Great fans, great local media yap, coaches who engage with media, cryptic management, etc.

Jets have sold out nearly all their games since inception (V.3) 7 years ago.

But neither team can win consistently. At least Jays have a couple world series rings - but otherwise, mostly dud teams w/ a couple exceptions.

Jets haven't won a playoff game in their history - either in Winnipeg or Atlanta.

Tonite - after a quick start they administered a pad-thumping clinic vs. the Toronto goalie - and then decided to die . . . . now down 6-0 with 10+ minutes left in the match. Since when do the Laffs win games 6-0?

BC-Boy

KevinRiley2

Jays cutting costs...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/decision-to-lay-off-slew-of-non-baseball-employees-was-%E2%80%98very-difficult%E2%80%99-toronto-blue-jays-gm-ross-atkins/ar-AAtXzkb?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartanntp

My guess : The $200M payroll weighs heavier than many posters think and the Jays aren't as profitable as Patrick hopes. 

* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

KevinRiley2

Jays cutting costs...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/decision-to-lay-off-slew-of-non-baseball-employees-was-%E2%80%98very-difficult%E2%80%99-toronto-blue-jays-gm-ross-atkins/ar-AAtXzkb?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartanntp

My guess : The $200M payroll weighs heavier than many posters think and the Jays aren't as profitable as Patrick hopes.
Just another reason to despise this team and owner.

The Last Word

Well, the Blue Jays payroll wasn't $200 million last season, it was around $170 million - $180 million.  Sportrac incorrectly assumes the jays paid all of Melvin Upton's nearly $20 million salary even though he did not play for the team in 2017.  The reality is the Padres paid for most of it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2701389-melvin-upton-jr-giants-reportedly-agree-to-minor-league-contract

Another incorrect assumption is the Blue Jays paying for Liriano's full salary in 2017 which they did not as they traded him to Houston in August thus having the Astros picking up part of the tab.

I agree that the optics look terrible for firing the marketing/ticketing staff considering the great job they have done the past 5 - 7 years.  I think at this point it is spurious to suggest this is a result of the team not being as profitable as some had hoped.  If it isn't that profitable it would be much effective to cut $20 million or more from the payroll than a few hundred thousand from the ticketing/marketing staff.  Now they may do that this off season - something I suspect - while trying to manufacture this idea that the team will be "competitive" in 2018.

KevinRiley2

Well, the Blue Jays payroll wasn't $200 million last season, it was around $170 million - $180 million.  Sportrac incorrectly assumes the jays paid all of Melvin Upton's nearly $20 million salary even though he did not play for the team in 2017.  The reality is the Padres paid for most of it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2701389-melvin-upton-jr-giants-reportedly-agree-to-minor-league-contract

Another incorrect assumption is the Blue Jays paying for Liriano's full salary in 2017 which they did not as they traded him to Houston in August thus having the Astros picking up part of the tab.

I agree that the optics look terrible for firing the marketing/ticketing staff considering the great job they have done the past 5 - 7 years.  I think at this point it is spurious to suggest this is a result of the team not being as profitable as some had hoped.  If it isn't that profitable it would be much effective to cut $20 million or more from the payroll than a few hundred thousand from the ticketing/marketing staff.  Now they may do that this off season - something I suspect - while trying to manufacture this idea that the team will be "competitive" in 2018.
I am going to stick with Sportac's numbers.   ::)  Besides, no matter the number, they felt the need to cut so it isn't "spurious" at all.  No one shrinks their way to prosperity. The optics are horrible and these firings speak volumes.

I have long said the Jays bandwagon jumpers put too much positive spin on all things Jays and the team is far more expensive to run than posters think.  The Jays actions prove me correct - as usual.  

My guess : The bean counters looked at the final numbers and were shocked (not in a good way) at their bottom line - so they cut, cut, and cut some more.  

Looks good on them and the fools who back the Jays.

Re : "If it isn't that profitable it would be much effective to cut $20 million or more from the payroll than a few hundred thousand from the ticketing/marketing staff. "

Who says :

i) It's easy? - they have a ton of garbage players no one wants;
ii) They won't?

The cuts mentioned in the article are just the beginning because the bandwagon is starting to empty.

KevinRiley2

I remember when old man Rogers talked about HUGE losses and the Jays apologists (they are easy to spot because they have little (to no) business sense and numbers confuse them) wet themselves.  "Can't be true" and "I don't believe it" they cried.  If it hadn't come from the old man himself, they would have said it was untrue - and been wrong, as usual.

Again, the fact that the Jays felt the need to cut speaks volumes.  It is shameful, the optics are horrible, and it smells of a company disappointed/worried about its bottom line.

KevinRiley2

Patrick and The Last Word are watching the Leafs and discussing the Jays.
Patrick is wearing this shirt...

The Last Word is wearing this shirt...

The Last Word : Help me understand this exchange thing, Pat.  You mean the Canadian dollar is NOT worth the same as the U.S. dollar?  

Patrick : That's news to me.  I'd never heard of this "exchange" thing until today.  I am sooo confused.

The Last Word : Me, too.  So...  It costs MORE to run the Jays because they pay a large chunk of their payroll in U.S. dollars, while most of their income is in Canadian dollars?  I just don't understand and my head is starting to hurt.

Patrick : Me too... That's why I have this shirt.  Anyway, don't ask me because I truly have NO idea. Oh look... the Leafs scored!  The bandwagon came around last year and the Leafs are my new favourite team.

Users Online

102 Guests, 5 Users (12 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
ExPat, dcmoses, Hamilton2005, jim43bob, PTBO Dave, Google (12)

Most Online Today: 140. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)