TravelPat1

Funniest slide of the year by Barney last night. :-)   

Swim Darwin! Swim!

https://www.mlb.com/video/share/barneys-unusual-slide/c-1826863583?tid=6479266

Lyle B. Style

The wee lads the Jays have brought up, purchased or otherwise acquired are giving a decent account of themselves. Media interest is now flagging on the soiled Jays, nobody cares and Uncle Buck can try to motivate ("Get UP, Ball!") as much as he wants but really nobody cares. Here's the Jays story-line for 2017:

1. Aaron Sanchez - shut early in season with sporadic replies
2. Devo Travis - shut down semi-permanently, chronic injuries
3. Buck Martin - old guy, can't hack day to day play, shut down
4. Troy Tulowhiffski - deteriorated play, shut down
5. Osuna - flipping out, shut down
6. Bautista - still playing but Jays would be better shutting this .200 hitter down
7. Porky Morales - self-shuts when facing breaking balls
8. Josh Donaldson - shut down due to injury first 1/4 of season, not the same now - deteriorated from .310 hitter to barely hitting .250
9. Gibby Gibbons - bottom tier manager
10. Mark Shapyro - talks big, produces small
11. Catching spot - after Buck Martin went down an assortment of hobos who bat around .100 and can't throw out runners. Perfect!

Yet, 30,000+ are eager to see this s--t-storm next season! THEY WILL!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

TravelPat1

OK - so after my Cats blew it yet again tonight I flipped to baseball and was surprised just how many Jays fans were in Minny tonight.  I guess most Jays fans must have made travel plans months ago. 

And Cleveland's incredible 22 game win streak finally ends tonight.

And two of the Jays AL East opposition were both fined by MLB an undisclosed amount for cheating - using video and Apple watches to steal signs.  Apple watches?  That's got to be a sports first. 

The good news from those fines - whatever the amounts - MLB is apparently donating those funds to hurricane relief.

sambo42

The wee lads the Jays have brought up, purchased or otherwise acquired are giving a decent account of themselves. Media interest is now flagging on the soiled Jays, nobody cares and Uncle Buck can try to motivate ("Get UP, Ball!") as much as he wants but really nobody cares. Here's the Jays story-line for 2017:

6. Bautista - still playing but Jays would be better shutting this .200 hitter down
8. Josh Donaldson - shut down due to injury first 1/4 of season, not the same now - deteriorated from .310 hitter to barely hitting .250
11. Catching spot - after Buck Martin went down an assortment of hobos who bat around .100 and can't throw out runners. Perfect!

Is there anything positive you can say about the Jays? Or are just trying to make yourself look like you know what you are talking about? In either case, you fail on both counts.

Lyle B. Style

Is there anything positive you can say about the Jays? Or are just trying to make yourself look like you know what you are talking about? In either case, you fail on both counts.
Glad you think a potential 72 or 73 win season is super dupey great. btw - ITS NOT

Jays may win a few gimme games down the stretch when there's nothing on the line. Still disturbing Bautista is madly dripping to sub .200 batting when there's nothing to play for. This overpaid oaf usually starts to hit like the dickens when there's nothing on the line!
Yep, 3 lamers like Toiletwitzki, Travis & Martin will sure solve the Jay problems next season!

sambo42

You are being critical of guys of who have been injured for most the season? Real class... I do slightly agree on Travis, but its the artificial turf causing the injuries... he needs to play on a more forgiving field for him to have a long career. Funny you didn't mention Smoak... 38 HR's and counting.... he is going to reach 40, not like your prediction of him ending up with 36 to 38... Jays have some good young talent, and can possibly trade the oft-injured Travis and get something in return. BTW,  I would like to see you throw a baseball with a blister that flares up every time you toss it... give some of these guys a break.

nopa

2017 started with optimism. The fans and media thought they had a battleship but they're limping in like a leaky tug.  Filling a few holes won't cut it, they need a retrofit.

The Last Word

Plenty of Blue Jays fans in the prairies.  I was listening on the radio to a few of the games and during one of them, the announcer stated that their were quite a few fans from Manitoba at the game.  Even mentioned something about a sign.  Makes sense, as it isnt' that long of a trip.

Disagree on Martin - he is still a good catcher with a WAR of 1.7 even though he has missed significant time this season.  While his batting average is low at .225, his on-base percentage is quite good at .352 which is one of the better OBPs for catchers around the league.  Walks are just as good as hits which is why few people put much emphasis on average...OBP is a much better indication of a batter's abilities.  Martin is also still a good defensive catcher as well.

KevinRiley2

Prime Time Sports talked about the Jays and regurgitated what I have said...

Rogers is worried that if the Jays continue to go south, the attendance, the TV ratings and all the revenue associated with other Sportsnet shows, will fall thru the floor.  And, for that reason, they will stick with the current team in 2018, in the hope of dragging this run of success out.

That and the fact that NO one wants all the Jays big contracts.

Only Damian Cox believes the fans will stay during a rebuild.  The other three feel there will be a very large dropoff.

Bob McClown said the Jays papered the house, especially under Paul Godfrey, for almost a decade, and the REAL attendance was in the 18K/game range - and that could return.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

TravelPat1

If they drop out of contention there will be a drop-off in all those things. I'm just not sure how much - how fast. And the fan in me hopes we never find out because they surprise us and contend.  

I for one have been surprised by the last few weeks of TV ratings for the Jays as reported by Numeris in their weekly Top 30 report. As I think I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago I really thought 500,000 - 600,000 would be the norm the rest of the season with the odd game against a team like the Yankees possibly in the 750,000 range now that they were out of contention. 

But the Numeris reports of the 25 or so games from mid-August to September 10th they were still averaging in the 800,000 range overall. That is quite remarkable IMO.

Lyle B. Style

Being saddled with fat, untradeable contracts is the Jays kryptonite to be sure!

I don't agree with PTO's assertion the Jays will fall to 18,000 attendances.

Perhaps in the 23,000 to 26,000 though once they make it clear they're deadbeats in 2018 (20 to 25 games in should do it)

Remember, its still a major league American sport and Toronto area fans love going to games as a social outing regardless of how mired in mediocrity their sports teams are (exception = Argos). They'll still make major coin so long there game averages don't drop lower than 22,500. Keep in mind they still make a ton of coin off MLB's TV contracts - and secondary millions off Rogers/Sportsnets coverage of their 162 tedious games.

TravelPat1

The Jays fans are hanging in so far.  Case in point - tonight - the final home weekend of the year with 42,000 there for the final Friday night home game of the season. (And I did notice the ads behind home plate for 2018 season tickets.  :-)

Nice to see the fans acknowledging Bautista with numerous partial standing ovations as I think everybody knows these are his last three home games as a Jay. And he actually came up with a few excellent defensive plays.

But tonight's star - Going - Going - Goins! Grand Slam Home Run.  And that was after his hidden ball trick. 
-  http://m.mlb.com/news/article/255600446/blue-jays-use-hidden-ball-trick-on-yankees/?topicId=27118122

And his grand slam.
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/255625816/blue-jays-use-3-homers-to-deny-tanaka-yankees/?topicId=27118122

The Last Word

If they drop out of contention there will be a drop-off in all those things. I'm just not sure how much - how fast. And the fan in me hopes we never find out because they surprise us and contend.  

I for one have been surprised by the last few weeks of TV ratings for the Jays as reported by Numeris in their weekly Top 30 report. As I think I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago I really thought 500,000 - 600,000 would be the norm the rest of the season with the odd game against a team like the Yankees possibly in the 750,000 range now that they were out of contention.

But the Numeris reports of the 25 or so games from mid-August to September 10th they were still averaging in the 800,000 range overall. That is quite remarkable IMO.
I am going to guess attendance will fall by 5-6000 per game next year, that is if the team can hover around .500 in the first half to keep hopes alive for the 2nd wild card.  If they are terrible for the entire 1st half and clearly out of the picture, I could see the average crowds dropping by 10,000 per game for an average around 30,000 or so.  Rogers and management have told the public that they want to keep the team "competitive" whatever that means.  In the eyes of fans that means competing for a playoff spot.  In Rogers' eyes it might mean a 70 - 75 win season, not a terrible team by any means (55- 65 wins) but not one that is really competing for the post season.

I think management will once again try to fill holes with "value" signings similar to Pearce and Morales next year :P hoping for a full healthy season from Donaldson, another strong season from Smoak, continued steady play from Pillar and Martin, 100+games from Travis, 120+ games from Tulo and a return to even his 2016 version which was at least decent...perhaps some decent production from a guy like Alford who will hopefully provide more of a positive contribution than the likes of Bautista.

I actually wouldn't mind if the Jays took a chance and signed Brett Lawrie who was curiously unsigned this past season despite never living up to his potential still had a positive WAR or 1.3 last season.  Maybe he is clubhouse distraction?  If not or the Jays think they can reign him in, he would be a good backup at 2nd base or even 3rd - a utility infielder handy for when the inevitable injuries happen or useful on rest days for the starters.  Certainly a better option than the likes of Barney or Goins and given he has little leverage at this point, could be signed quite cheap.

The Last Word

One thing that will not help attendance is Rogers ridiculous increase in ticket prices between 7-12% for next season.  This after substantial increases this past season.  The stadium is already too big - I expect them to downsize the number of seats whenever these renovations happen - and there is a surplus of tickets available on the secondary market for dirt cheap prices.  Why for example buy a cheap seat for $20+ dollars when the team will probably be out of it by August of next year, when you can buy a seat on Stubhub for $6?

Aerial

Does anyone with a brain give a flying f.... about the Blue Jays right now?  NO! Except those people that bought tickets  to games in "da dome" way back to think they had a chance for the post season this year!  hahahahaha :-*
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Users Online

67 Guests, 3 Users (12 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
GOTC1, KevinRiley2, bohdon, Google (10), Baidu (2)

Most Online Today: 113. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)