sully

As a non-fan of curling, I tuned in a little bit randomly this weekend. Are the players usually miked up in that fashion? I could hear every single little conversation they had and it was totally fascinating.
I'm the Director of Media Technology for the Canadian Football League. Got technology concerns/ideas for the league? E-mail me at ssyed@cfl.ca and we'll talk.

Lyle B. Style

As a non-fan of curling, I tuned in a little bit randomly this weekend. Are the players usually miked up in that fashion? I could hear every single little conversation they had and it was totally fascinating.
Most tournaments have the players miked up. The Olympics also mikes up the players but has more limitations on when the mikes can be opened for public hearing.

I like it, too - mainly because it breaks the tedium of what can be very tedious viewing for those not totally into the various nuances and terms of the game.

What I noticed from last nite's final - and the Jennifer Jones vs. Jacobs match I saw was probably more miking up than usual - I suspect the audio director wasn't really into controlling the flow; sometimes you could hear anyone talking, and often it was over someone else - which can be frustrating for the viewer/listener.

Keep in mind that Brad Gushue (winning skip) is our country most brilliant male curler - Cathy Overton-Clapham has been around for well over 30 years (she's the super-sub who played 3rd) while Epping's 2nd, Brent Laing, while never a winning skip or 3rd - is one of the foremost front enders in Canadian curling history - and is always willing to impart his vast knowledge to teammates (currently with Kevin Koe)

Combine what the curlers were chatting about - factor in the primary color commentator (Russ Howard) is probably the leading commentator in curling history and you have a really unique dialog of ideas.
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

KevinRiley2

It was a made for TV event so it was very fan friendly.  Having said that, they almost always mike up the teams playing.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Aerial

True enough, trying to make it like the boxing/UFC event but "made for TV event", well, doesn't get more of an accurate description than that.  Hey good on the curling world to do what they have to do, it's all about money in the end.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

KevinRiley2

True enough, trying to make it like the boxing/UFC event but "made for TV event", well, doesn't get more of an accurate description than that.  Hey good on the curling world to do what they have to do, it's all about money in the end.
The offer to join Ryan and myself at the Argo-Ticat game is still open, Aerial.  Give it some thought.

Aerial

Thanks Kevin, I'm having some neuro/psychiatric issues that are worsening and I'm not sure I want to be in public much any more to be honest.  I look like a total FU at times, most days.  Again, thanks.

KevinRiley2

Thanks Kevin, I'm having some neuro/psychiatric issues that are worsening and I'm not sure I want to be in public much any more to be honest.  I look like a total FU at times, most days.  Again, thanks.
I am sorry to hear that.  I hope you feel better and I hope you join us.

Users Online

65 Guests, 2 Users (12 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
KevinRiley2, GOTC1, Google (10), Baidu (2)

Most Online Today: 113. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)