sambo42

I think you are badly underestimating the ability of Canada's National Men's team.  Yes they are down around 95 in World rankings - up from 117 in 2016 due to some recent success under the coach that just got fired.

But they would still easily win over the 5th ranked Women's team.
It wouldn’t even be close. Men are bigger, muscled differently, built stronger and can run faster. There are reasons why men’s teams don’t play women’s teams.

Compared my arm and leg X-rays to my wife’s once. For a moment there I felt vastly superior. Until I spoke.
  Its a big problem for you, isn't it? ::)

Iconic SR

I think you are badly underestimating the ability of Canada's National Men's team.  Yes they are down around 95 in World rankings - up from 117 in 2016 due to some recent success under the coach that just got fired.

But they would still easily win over the 5th ranked Women's team.
It wouldn’t even be close. Men are bigger, muscled differently, built stronger and can run faster. There are reasons why men’s teams don’t play women’s teams.

Compared my arm and leg X-rays to my wife’s once. For a moment there I felt vastly superior. Until I spoke.
 Its a big problem for you, isn't it? ::)
Only with my wife. Yours too if you’re smart. Not sure if you’re married tho 

FootbalYouBet

I have played sports with females that were better than most of the guys.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

I don't think I am always right, it just keeps turning out that way

Iconic SR

Me too. But if it’s full contact - they’re not better. They’re naturally disadvantaged.
Based on average male vs average female size and weight comparisons.  

FootbalYouBet

Me too. But if it’s full contact - they’re not better. They’re naturally disadvantaged.
you do know that there are a lot of women who can beat up a lot of men?

and anyhow, soccer is not, or should not be, full contact

Iconic SR

I think curling should be a contact sport, with helmets of course.

FootbalYouBet

I think curling should be a contact sport, with helmets of course.
there is a lot of contact in curling.

alphamale111

you do know that there are a lot of women who can beat up a lot of men?

and anyhow, soccer is not, or should not be, full contact
But it still follows the laws of physics... The ladies fall short in almost every category with the exception of 2 players (most likely 1).

FootbalYouBet

it is so sad to see countries with populations so much less that Canada play so much better.

For example, Costa Rica, pop 5mil, way up in top 30.

Our men's team sucks and I am still convinced our women can beat them

sambo42

it is so sad to see countries with populations so much less that Canada play so much better.

Sorry, FYB, not a chance the women would beat them... maybe if you spotted the women 6 or 7 goals... maybe then they could win... nah, wouldn't happen.

FootbalYouBet

Sorry, FYB, not a chance the women would beat them... maybe if you spotted the women 6 or 7 goals... maybe then they could win... nah, wouldn't happen.
I am sure we will never know because there is no percentage in it for the guys.  If I was worth 8 figures, I would pay what it would take to make it happen.

Aerial

I wish people would stop talking about if women would beat men at this or that sport.  There are gender physiological differences and that is a major reason why there are mens and womens sports and why it will be this way for a very long time.  Appreciate each for what they are and stop this stupid "can a woman beat a man" at whatever. Of course this can happen even with gender differences depending on the activity, depends on how much the activity involves a combination of strength and speed.  But intellectually I would say men and women are equally effective at their sport.  Cogntive intelligence is a different intelligence than speed intelligence, strength intelligence.  Agility intelligence, well that is different, dexterity intelligence again different, vertical jump intelligence.  Can get very complicated. If you make a par 4 golf hole 500 yards, a higher percentage of men will be able to par it than women but that doesn't mean the men are doing better at the hole because of their cognitive intelligence.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

FootbalYouBet

I wish people would stop talking about if women would beat men at this or that sport.  There are gender physiological differences and that is a major reason why there are mens and womens sports and why it will be this way for a very long time.  Appreciate each for what they are and stop this stupid "can a woman beat a man" at whatever. Of course this can happen even with gender differences depending on the activity, depends on how much the activity involves a combination of strength and speed.  But intellectually I would say men and women are equally effective at their sport.  Cogntive intelligence is a different intelligence than speed intelligence, strength intelligence.  Agility intelligence, well that is different, dexterity intelligence again different, vertical jump intelligence.  Can get very complicated. If you make a par 4 golf hole 500 yards, a higher percentage of men will be able to par it than women but that doesn't mean the men are doing better at the hole because of their cognitive intelligence
I am not talking about a woman beating a man, or a women's soccer team beating a men's soccer team.  I am comparing specifically Team Canada Women's team against Team Canada Men's team.
I think the Women's Team is better than the Men's team.

I would never consider that a top 5 women's team could beat a top 5 men's team, or a top 20 men's team, or a top 50 men's team, or a top 75 men's team.  However, I think 95 stinks and can be beaten by a top 5 women's team.

I hope no one means to suggest that there is no adult women's team that could beat ANY adult men's team.  What I ask here, is where is the line.

Aerial

Who knows where the line is. This isn't some pure science.  Some view the NY Jets winning the SB as an AFL team in 1969 as part of this line without gender.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_III

You need competitions and championships to determine on a pure sport basis without gender.  Without this, it's all pure speculation.

But should there be such championships and competitions?  What purpose does it serve?

TravelPat1

FIFA ranks 206 National Mens team with Canada ranking 95 - in the top half. 

The USA Women's Team are ranked # 1 with FIFA's women's ranking. 

I'm about 100% certain that if FIFA had to do one table for both genders - the USA Women's team would come in at # 207 - right behind # 206 - the men's team of Tonga who are last on the men's list.. 

Users Online

111 Guests, 16 Users (21 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
PatLynch, Lennywasout, okie, ExPat, Iconic SR, Onemoredork, Thearn3, MtnCat, Mikefrmthhammer, SeaFiddle, FootbalYouBet, Grover, oskee7777, argonaut11xx, KevinRiley2, Google (AdSense) (13), Google (8)

Most Online Today: 175. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)