FootbalYouBet

I would really like to see a match between our Canadian Womens Soccer team and our Canadian Mens Soccer team.  I think the women could make it a good game.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

I don't think I am always right, it just keeps turning out that way

sambo42

How about a game between the Canadian Olympic hockey teams? or have Raonic play Bouchard in a tennis match? Might be interesting...

FootbalYouBet

How about a game between the Canadian Olympic hockey teams? or have Raonic play Bouchard in a tennis match? Might be interesting...
I am sure, as I am sure you are sure, that the quality of play between the men and women hockey teams would be too big a difference for it to be interesting.  Not so with the soccer teams.

sambo42

Remember the Battle of the Sexes tennis match between Billie Jean King v. Bobby Riggs? King won that match. A match between Federer vs. Serena would be interesting, not a slam dunk, IMO... but some cases, its a mismatch. I remember in curling, Ed Werenich played a women's team ( I think she went by the name Marilyn(Bodogh) Darte at the time) spotted her a number of points, but still won... it could be that the curling game has changed enough for it to be closer, maybe. It really serves no point to have these kinds of exhibitions or "friendlies". 

FootbalYouBet

Remember the Battle of the Sexes tennis match between Billie Jean King v. Bobby Riggs? King won that match. A match between Federer vs. Serena would be interesting, not a slam dunk, IMO... but some cases, its a mismatch. I remember in curling, Ed Werenich played a women's team ( I think she went by the name Marilyn(Bodogh) Darte at the time) spotted her a number of points, but still won... it could be that the curling game has changed enough for it to be closer, maybe. It really serves no point to have these kinds of exhibitions or "friendlies".
the BJK/BR thing was a joke.

I believe that the women would have a 50/50 chance of beating the men in soccer. 

The point would be entertainment.

TravelPat1

Sorry don't mean to sound sexist - but the men's team would easily beat the women's team in soccer for two main reasons. Speed and power - which are a huge part of the game of soccer (unlike some other mainly skill sports like curling). 

A number of guys on the men's team would fly right by the women's defenders and with the ability to muscle women off the ball and with the significantly more powerful kicks - it would be no contest.

Eg. Last year the US Women's National team played FC Dallas's Under 15 male team as a warmup game for a game against Russia's women's team and they lost 5-2. They also lost 8-2 to the American Under 17 men's team. In Australia their Women's National team lost to the male Under 15 team 7-0.

letsgoticats

Dangle John Herdman above the field in a cage like it's a wrestling match.  Winning team gets him.  

Seriously though, this would be a ridiculously one sided blowout.  

alphamale111

I believe that the women would have a 50/50 chance of beating the men in soccer.

Wouldn't even be close. Men's team would destroy them. Speed and shot/ passing power alone would put the men on top. In goal it would even be fair. The women's keepers don't have the vertical or size to cover the angles. Out paced, out muscled and out gunned in every position.

KevinRiley2

I have been to a Grey Cup and the World Juniors.  I'm good.

If pressed, I could see a CFL game in every stadium but watching them on TV is fine with me.

* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

EastVanMark

Wouldn't even be close. Men's team would destroy them. Speed and shot/ passing power alone would put the men on top. In goal it would even be fair. The women's keepers don't have the vertical or size to cover the angles. Out paced, out muscled and out gunned in every position.
But what if they played "shirts vs skins" format. The men would still win laughably easily, but it would raise interest in such a match

FootbalYouBet

Our women are among the best in the world. The men are not.

The women have up until now been better coached.

The women are a more cohesive team.

letsgoticats

None of that matters.  See Pats examples for proof of the best womens teams on earth losing to highschool boys.  

alphamale111

Two completely different games and depth of talent pool. They would have trouble just getting the ball down the field. The women's game is notably more slow and passes are short due compared to the men's game. Speed and strength. Set play distances are way shorter in the women's game. Apples and oranges, mate.

FootbalYouBet

Sorry don't mean to sound sexist - but the men's team would easily beat the women's team in soccer for two main reasons. Speed and power - which are a huge part of the game of soccer (unlike some other mainly skill sports like curling).

A number of guys on the men's team would fly right by the women's defenders and with the ability to muscle women off the ball and with the significantly more powerful kicks - it would be no contest.

Eg. Last year the US Women's National team played FC Dallas's Under 15 male team as a warmup game for a game against Russia's women's team and they lost 5-2. They also lost 8-2 to the American Under 17 men's team. In Australia their Women's National team lost to the male Under 15 team 7-0.
our mens team could not beat FC Dallas's Under 15 male team, or the American Under 17 mens team or the Australian Under 15 team.

Our women on the other hand, can beat both the Australian and USA womens team.

I fully understand the advantages men have over women in sports.  I know for instance that the womens hockey team would be slaughtered by the mens, even without NHLers playing.

I just think that it is different with the Canadian soccer.

TravelPat1

I think you are badly underestimating the ability of Canada's National Men's team.  Yes they are down around 95 in World rankings - up from 117 in 2016 due to some recent success under the coach that just got fired. 

But they would still easily win over the 5th ranked Women's team. 

Users Online

103 Guests, 16 Users (14 Spiders, 4 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
argonaut11xx, ArgoT, MtnCat, hairyarm, letsgoticats, bowl450, DisplacedCatsFan, FootbalYouBet, rshmglsky, Grover, RevClark, GHT120, Google (AdSense) (8), Google (6)

Most Online Today: 167. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)