Aerial

I found this a good read from the TFC soccer community Waking the Red:

How the United States missing the World Cup affects Toronto FC - The Reds are going to be caught up in the aftermath

It’s complicated. There are no doubt some immediate benefits to the loss for TFC, at least superficially. But looking at the big picture, this is likely to be a result that hurts soccer in North America, and TFC could take some collateral damage as a result.

https://www.wakingthered.com/toronto-fc/2017/10/11/16457398/united-states-usmnt-world-cup-qualification-toronto-fc

This commentator, assuming he is a knowledgable Canadian soccer fan, mentions the importance of the new Canadian Premier League as part of this discussion, again interesting:

Personally I am happy that the US didn’t make it to the World Cup, but that isn’t coming from a pro-MLS standpoint. Quite the opposite actually.

I used to cheer for the US in World Cups. My thinking was that good performances by CONCACAF teams will result in more World Cup spots for CONCACAF teams. In recent years I also thought that since Canada basically had all of it’s eggs in the MLS basket, I wanted to see MLS working for the USA because if it is going to work for us, it in theory would work even better for USA.

However, that has all changed over the last couple of years. I’ve come to some realizations. Number 1 being that CONCACAF getting more spots in the World Cup is unlikely to happen very quickly if at all if the teams do well. They seem to already have the spots mapped out for 2022 and even 2026 already. Besides, maybe USA not making it to the World Cup would do more for the case of giving CONCACAF more spots. My other realization is that MLS isn’t enough on its own to help Canada get as good as we need to be. I see the CPL being hugely vital for us, and I wanted USA to fail to qualify to paint a picture for the fans that preach all glory be to MLS. It’s not as perfect and all powerful as some supporters seem to think. I think CPL is more important to Canada soccer than MLS is (but I do think MLS still has a role to play).

As for the reputation of the league that Mitchell brought up, that is a valid point. Hopefully TFC can start to mend that reputation next spring by winning the CCL. That would go a long way to having the world forgive and forget the USMNT failure, with regards to the strength of MLS.

I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Lyle B. Style

WOW - Team USA fail

That was the Buffalo Sabres, Cleveland Browns, Winnipeg Jets, Vancouver Canucks, Toronto Blue Jays all rolled into one soft, succulent package of losing!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 27 YEARS, COUNTING!

vampiresquid

It's not the important if u Sports are eligible or not for the MLS draft.
Who cares if it's not important, why wouldn't university players not be allowed to be drafted?  Why is soccer, like some communist outfit?  Don't get it.

Thanks vampire for the reply but I'm more confused about how soccer is organized/regulated whatever you want to call it after reading your reply than I was before.

It's simple, you allow university sports athletes, which are a high level, to be drafted even if a draft is somewhat meaningless.  Seems pretty straightforward to me.  But nothing surprises me about soccer I will admit.

Because so few athletes in whatever sport actually have the talent to make pro leagues and earn a decent living, you always want to encourage them to get an education and at the same time pursue their athletic goal of perhaps being drafted to a pro league.

Encourage, encourage, encourage athletes to get an education, all pro leagues should be encouraging that.  As I say, because so few will end up having the actual talent to play pro sport to earn a decent living.
Yes, soccer is a different beast to other North American pro leagues. The main difference being MLS & soccer teams around the world run their own academies for kids as young as 5 which means they reap what they sow vs all the players being thrown into a pool to be drafted. Plus, MLS doesn't need for the kid to be 18 to play on their team.

In soccer leagues outside of US/Canada, most kids turn pro around 16-17. May not be on the first team but still getting paid 40-100k at 16 for playing on a club's tier 2 team. So, these academies get the kids a high school education but if you're not good enough to be pro by 18, then you're off the team anyway.

So a American college kid coming out to be drafted at age 22 is way behind the rest of the world in terms of development & money earned. The better option for a MLS team is to pay 100-200k for a seasoned Central American player aged 22 ready to play right away. The American college kid is used to fill out the roster at 50-100k to get under the salary cap and fill the required domestic quota.

And if MLS had promotion/relegation as is the standard in the rest of the world, then the NCAA just becomes a beer rec league.

Aerial

In soccer leagues outside of US/Canada, most kids turn pro around 16-17. May not be on the first team but still getting paid 40-100k at 16 for playing on a club's tier 2 team. So, these academies get the kids a high school education but if you're not good enough to be pro by 18, then you're off the team anyway.
Holy shiatsu!  I had no idea.  I didn't know there was that much money in soccer, some soccer around the world anyways, at that age.  I guess it's a bit like baseball where in the past especially MLB clubs scouted youngsters and would sign them and get them starting off in some pro environment in Rookie League think it was/is called but you're signed up at a young age.  I think MLB also has a draft of youngsters including college players, from wiki

The first-year player draft, is Major League Baseball's primary mechanism for assigning amateur baseball players, from high schools, colleges, and other amateur baseball clubs, to its teams.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_draft

Aerial

Seems the US not qualifying has even made this in a Field of Schemes post about the MLS and stadiums in Cincinnati:

Cincinnati really does appear to be one of the front-runners for an MLS expansion franchise, based on its record attendance for the minor-league F.C. Cincinnati, but local soccer advocates are worried about the league’s stated rule that any new teams need to bring with them new team-controlled soccer-only stadiums. (Which worrying is exactly the goal of said rule.) So while some people still dream of applying to have an MLS team play at the University of Cincinnati’s Nippert Stadium, the Hamilton County Commission is wondering, hey, maybe MLS would like the Bengals‘ stadium better?

Commissioners are offering up the stadium, which county taxpayers own, as a solution to keep FC Cincinnati in Ohio — without spending the $100 million from the public the team says it needs to build a $200 million stadium.

“We own a stadium on the riverfront, that from my understanding, soccer can be played at,” Hamilton County Commission Vice President Denise Driehaus said. “I’ve asked the (county) administration to take a hard look at Paul Brown, to pursue it or get it off the table.”

Yes, soccer can be played at Paul Brown Stadium, just as it can be played at Nippert. And sure, maybe MLS will be placated by a non-soccer-specific facility that isn’t owned by the local team if it’s a non-soccer-specific stadium that has nicer cupholders. But since MLS has made pretty clear that it intends to conduct its expansion decision as a stadium arms race — consistent with its greater mission of getting as much short-term cash as possible, because who knows what the future may hold, especially now that any hope of getting an attendance boost from the draw of seeing next year’s U.S. World Cup stars just went out the window — they probably would be just as well off saying, “We’ve got a terrific market, you’ll just have to put up with our oldish stadium if you want us,” and see how that works out. Probably poorly, but when the alternative is spending $100 million you don’t have, it’s worth a shot, anyway.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2017/10/12/13028/cincinnati-considers-offering-bengals-stadium-as-home-for-mls-team-see-how-that-flies/#comments

ArgoT

Earl, I can't believe there are still suckers out there trying to buy into this ponzy scheme known as the MLS.
No one is watching on TV and very few teams are profitable or at break even scenario.
Teams are actively falling over each other to sign over the hill European former stars to huge money the same thing that turned out to be the beginning of the end for the old NASL in the 70's and 80's.

FootbalYouBet

Inequality still exists.  In 2015, Moncton was good enough for the women, along with Van, Ed, WPG, Ott and Mont.  No Toronto.

Personally, I prefer the women soccer and have followed and cheered for them for a half dozen yrs or more.  OTOH, couldn't name one member of the men's team, ever.
Live well and please God

FYB has left the building

Aerial

Earl, I can't believe there are still suckers out there trying to buy into this ponzy scheme known as the MLS.
No one is watching on TV and very few teams are profitable or at break even scenario.
Teams are actively falling over each other to sign over the hill European former stars to huge money the same thing that turned out to be the beginning of the end for the old NASL in the 70's and 80's.
Well considering there are so many youngsters playing soccer in the US and Canada nowadays compared with just a few decades ago, I guess the trick is to try and get them to be able to watch the MLS as a religion and consistently in large enough numbers to be able to compete on the same level audience wise as MLB, NBA, NFL and the NHL.  I would say that is a main goal of the MLS.  Eventually if the MLS doesn't get enough watchers on television and online digital media, I think they, as any league, will be in trouble if expenses become too much.   That was the key as to how the NFL became so prominent on the NA sports scene playing only 16 games a year.   

Users Online

111 Guests, 5 Users (17 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Johnny Ticat slayer, Iconic SR, dcmoses, Google (17)

Most Online Today: 169. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)