TravelPat1

Well our current world ranking is lowly 96th in the FIFA rankings. Mind you were way down at 117 in 2016 - so at least the right direction.  

Hopefully we can do the same thing we've managed to do in basketball with a huge improvement in home grown talent in large part because of the presence of the Raptors over the last 20 or so years. Kids grew up watching their home team heroes and strive to be like them the way we all wanted to be the next NHL star when we were kids. 

20 years ago who would have ever thought it would become routine for some of the best NCAA teams to have starters from Canada and that Canadians being drafted in the first round of the NBA draft would become a regular occurence. 

Talented players coming out of the various Canadian MLS  team academies can only help Soccer Canada long term. As will the new Canadian Soccer league.

Aerial

We will see but soccer is played in so many more countries at a very high level compared with basketball.  It's going to be tough for Canada to produce real world class soccer players that can compete at the highest level of the sport in the world due to so many players worldwide compared with basketball, IMHO.

But yes Pat, as you say, the CSL will or should help I'm sure, more exposure to the sport at a pro or at least semi-pro level in Canada.  Every bit helps.  It would be great if soccer became more apparent like football at the university level in Canada, this would help.  Why soccer doesn't get the press and media exposure of football or basketball for that matter, at the university level in Canada, don't know.  

Saw this on wiki, didn't know this.  Why wouldn't they be eligible to be drafted by the MLS?  That seems really weird :-\:

U Sports is not geared towards producing professional soccer players, though some U Sports players have turned pro. U Sports players are not eligible for the MLS SuperDraft, but are able to be selected in the USL Draft. Most U Sports players are 21 or 22 upon leaving university and are too old to be considered prospects by most pro teams. Top players in high schools and sports academies may opt not to play in U Sports so that they can turn pro directly.[5] Despite this, some U Sports alumni in the pro ranks include Haidar Al-Shaiban (Western), Nana Attakora (York), Gabe Gala (Toronto), Srdjan Djekanović (UBC).[6]
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

EastVanMark

Saw this on wiki, didn't know this.  Why wouldn't they be eligible to be drafted by the MLS?  That seems really weird :-\:

U Sports is not geared towards producing professional soccer players, though some U Sports players have turned pro. U Sports players are not eligible for the MLS SuperDraft, but are able to be selected in the USL Draft. Most U Sports players are 21 or 22 upon leaving university and are too old to be considered prospects by most pro teams. Top players in high schools and sports academies may opt not to play in U Sports so that they can turn pro directly.[5] Despite this, some U Sports alumni in the pro ranks include Haidar Al-Shaiban (Western), Nana Attakora (York), Gabe Gala (Toronto), Srdjan Djekanović (UBC).[6]
The MLS doesn't consider Canadian players "domestics" even though they now have 3 Canadian franchises. Its a slap in the face to the Canadian franchises but I guess they'll do anything to be associated with an American "big" league they look the other way

TravelPat1

That's not true anymore. The MLS does now recognize Canadian players as Domestic. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canadians-become-domestic-players-mls-rosters/

TORONTO — The Canadian Soccer Association and MLS have made changes that they hope will pave the path for Canada to one day play in the men’s World Cup.
"I said in ’06 (when Toronto FC joined MLS) and I’ll say it now, I don’t think our job will be done until Canada on the men’s side qualifies for the World Cup," said Major League Soccer’s commissioner Don Garber.
Thus, Canadians will no longer be considered international players for MLS teams, provided the players meet certain criteria.

A Canadian player will now count as a domestic player as long as he became a member of a MLS club academy, either in the U.S. or Canada, or a Canadian approved youth club in the year prior to the year in which he turned 16. The CSA will identify the several dozen youth programs across the country to develop players.

Aerial

Anyways, can some knowledgeable soccer fan here tell me why U Sports Canada players arent' allowed to be drafted in the MLS draft?  That sounds totally stupid to me.  What, is the soccer community trying to prevent it's elite Canadian athletes from competing at a high level with aspirations to make the MLS but preventing them to get a high level university education at the same time?  Sounds like it, totally stupid if that's the case.  And if that's the case, I have 0 respect for soccer and the MLS and how it's organized.

The MLS, like any pro league, should be ENCOURAGING their athletes to get an education while being available for the MLS draft.  If this is the case, WOW, what a piece of crap the MLS is.  Agains't higher education.  Can't be so, it's just so stupid in every way, if in fact this is the case.   :-\

As I say though, I don' t know the soccer gestalt mentality on planet Earth so maybe I'm missing something here, hopefully someone can enlighten me.   :-\

Argofan_1000

Anyways, can some knowledgeable soccer fan here tell me why U Sports Canada players arent' allowed to be drafted in the MLS draft?  That sounds totally stupid to me.  What, is the soccer community trying to prevent it's elite Canadian athletes from competing at a high level with aspirations to make the MLS but preventing them to get a high level university education at the same time?  Sounds like it, totally stupid if that's the case.  And if that's the case, I have 0 respect for soccer and the MLS and how it's organized.

The MLS, like any pro league, should be ENCOURAGING their athletes to get an education while being available for the MLS draft.  If this is the case, WOW, what a piece of crap the MLS is.  Agains't higher education.  Can't be so, it's just so stupid in every way, if in fact this is the case.   :-\

As I say though, I don' t know the soccer gestalt mentality on planet Earth so maybe I'm missing something here, hopefully someone can enlighten me.   :-\
Aerial - U sports players can be drafted in the MLS. They just have to say they are Americans

Aerial

Ok Argofan, can I say I'm a theoretical physicist and pro athlete to boot?  And a Gandhi type as well just to toss this one in the mix.   :P

vampiresquid

It's not the important if u Sports are eligible or not for the MLS draft. First is that the MLS draft isn't that relevant because not many make the league beyond the first round and many that make it are journeymen to okay players only. Plus, you have get more talented players on your team from your own academies and anywhere around the world for a fee.

So, if a u Sports player was good, they would make an MLS team. But if you're a u Sports soccer player or stay beyond one year as a NCAA soccer player, it is basically implied that you're not Tier 1 talent or is a late bloomer. With the restrictions on playing & practice time in the NCAA along with the bastardized version soccer they play, most view the NCAA as stunting a soccer player's development.
Unlike basketball, NCAA isn't a good platform for developing male soccer players + you don't get paid.

So, the players with the most potential turn pro when offered a contract. They can practice anytime they want and play 10 months a year.

The best young Canadian prospect signed a contract with Whitecaps 2 at age 15 and made his first team Whitecaps debut this year at 15 years 6 months. When he turns 18 and if his progression continues, he'll likely be sold off to some European team.

Aerial

It's not the important if u Sports are eligible or not for the MLS draft.
Who cares if it's not important, why wouldn't university players not be allowed to be drafted?  Why is soccer, like some communist outfit?  Don't get it.

Thanks vampire for the reply but I'm more confused about how soccer is organized/regulated whatever you want to call it after reading your reply than I was before.

It's simple, you allow university sports athletes, which are a high level, to be drafted even if a draft is somewhat meaningless.  Seems pretty straightforward to me.  But nothing surprises me about soccer I will admit.

Because so few athletes in whatever sport actually have the talent to make pro leagues and earn a decent living, you always want to encourage them to get an education and at the same time pursue their athletic goal of perhaps being drafted to a pro league.

Encourage, encourage, encourage athletes to get an education, all pro leagues should be encouraging that.  As I say, because so few will end up having the actual talent to play pro sport to earn a decent living.

alphamale111

It's not the important if u Sports are eligible or not for the MLS draft.
Who cares if it's not important, why wouldn't university players not be allowed to be drafted?  Why is soccer, like some communist outfit?  Don't get it.

Thanks vampire for the reply but I'm more confused about how soccer is organized/regulated whatever you want to call it after reading your reply than I was before.

It's simple, you allow university sports athletes, which are a high level, to be drafted even if a draft is somewhat meaningless.  Seems pretty straightforward to me.  But nothing surprises me about soccer I will admit.

Because so few athletes in whatever sport actually have the talent to make pro leagues and earn a decent living, you always want to encourage them to get an education and at the same time pursue their athletic goal of perhaps being drafted to a pro league.

Encourage, encourage, encourage athletes to get an education, all pro leagues should be encouraging that.  As I say, because so few will end up having the actual talent to play pro sport to earn a decent living.

As far as I remember - Canadian  U players are not eligible. Canadians are eligible if the are attending an American school. The MLS SuperDraft only includes players from the American college sports system or players that have been otherwise been signed by the league through other mechanisms.
MLS is a US Soccer development tool - Not CSA. That is why the CSA is creating the CPL. Canadian U players will be part of any adopted draft system in the Canadian development system.

Aerial

MLS is a US Soccer development tool
alpha, what I think you are saying here is that the MLS and it's administrators are telling it's players that the MLS is not mean't to be an employer looked upon as a real career type of thing, due to the salary structure or whatever.  I can buy that, the CFL is saying the same sort of thing by, from what I remember, scheduling practices during the season so players can have another job or at least spend the time on a career type job, because the money isn't generally there like say the NFL.  

That may make sense then to me if the league is telling players don't be looking to the MLS as a real "only" type career.  Why I loved Russ Jackson in his book, I have it but forget the title, he always liked the CFL over the NFL because playing in the CFL always made you think about a career outside of football because the money just isn't there.  Think of your education first and foremost, sort of thing.  

And yet how many NFL players from days past are not doing well financially in their elder years.  

alphamale111

MLS is a US Soccer development tool
alpha, what I think you are saying here is that the MLS and it's administrators are telling it's players that the MLS is not mean't to be an employer looked upon as a real career type of thing, due to the salary structure or whatever.  I can buy that, the CFL is saying the same sort of thing by, from what I remember, scheduling practices during the season so players can have another job or at least spend the time on a career type job, because the money isn't generally there like say the NFL.  

That may make sense then to me if the league is telling players don't be looking to the MLS as a real "only" type career.  Why I loved Russ Jackson in his book, I have it but forget the title, he always liked the CFL over the NFL because playing in the CFL always made you think about a career outside of football because the money just isn't there.  Think of your education first and foremost, sort of thing.  

And yet how many NFL players from days past are not doing well financially in their elder years.  
No -  nothing at all like that.
By development tool I mean MLS is only accountable to develop USA soccer and it's structure. They are not here to develop the Canadian soccer structure. That is the job of the CSA. We can't expect to piggyback of USA soccer indefinitely.

Aerial

Ok, I see what you are saying.  Sounds like it's time for Canada and CSL to really get their act in gear I suppose to look after what is going on in Canada.  The MLS doesn't really have an interest in the 3 Canadian MLS teams apart from their financial value and contribution to the mainly American MLS.

TravelPat1

The USA joined Canada and will NOT be playing in the World Cup in 2018 after their loss to Trinidad & Tobago tonight.  That has to be a huge shock to American soccer.  (and Fox who paid big bucks for World Cup rights in the USA. 

Mind you they were helped to be eliminated by a phantom goal in one of the other gmes being played.

https://deadspin.com/u-s-a-out-of-world-cup-on-phantom-goal-1819343176?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Aerial

Saw that this morning, lots of people in the US soccer world not happy.  But as I was saying earlier, there are so many countries that play soccer and at a high level, very difficult especially when in some of those countries it's really the primary sport.  Whereas in Canada and the US, not the case where you have hockey, basketball, baseball, football especially in the US with the latter 3 so dominate.

Users Online

106 Guests, 14 Users (16 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
bowl450, tony, Taleback, habcat, EastVanMark, Iconic SR, The Last Word, Mark, GOTC1, Gornaldatron, ticats28, KevinRiley2, Google (16)

Most Online Today: 192. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)