jaybird24

They set up a category of "Other Leagues and Sports"  and posters just want to get on here and trash soccer and immigrants?   seriously?
This section is about talking about the World Cup and soccer if you don't like it then stick to the CFL forums.
If I start trashing football and the CFL on the CFL or team forums I would probably given a warning and then banned.
If you don't like soccer then stick to your CFL forums.  
Why come over here and tell us why you don't like it?    
I get it that a lot of the old CFL guys don't like soccer and see it as a foreign sport but it isn't a foreign sport anymore in this country.  
More of our kids are playing soccer and more Canadians are playing in the NCAA.   Looking at the TFC crowd they are not immigrants,  they are young Canadians that love the game.
Every school in Canada probably has a soccer team but I doubt very few have football teams left.

As for the 2026 World Cup bid, great idea by 2026 there will be a Canadian soccer league and even more interest in the game.

I'm not a soccer fan and have only been to one game but I respect the people that love it and hope that the sport does well.    I watch the International games and I will watch most of the World Cup games.
But some of you soccer trashers please give it up,  it's the "same old"  boring stuff.

TravelPat1

I can't wait for Team Canada to play some of these other teams and get booed on their own soil.

Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto - perfect

Never happened at any of the games I've attended. So quit trying to put down fans in those cities.
Hmm - can you hear any boos?  Looks and sounds like thousands of CANADIANS cheering loudly FOR Canada when Canada scored a goal in a win against Jamaica last month at BMO.   ::)

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/09/04/hometown-hero-osorio-shines-canada-bmo-field

alphamale111

I can't wait for Team Canada to play some of these other teams and get booed on their own soil.

Never happened at any of the games I've attended. So quit trying to put down fans in those cities.
Hmm - can you hear any boos?  Looks and sounds like thousands of CANADIANS cheering loudly FOR Canada when Canada scored a goal in a win against Jamaica last month at BMO.   ::)

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/09/04/hometown-hero-osorio-shines-canada-bmo-field
Exactly - I was at that game. The Jamaican supporters were pretty quiet -  and respectful.

GernB

Every school in Canada probably has a soccer team but I doubt very few have football teams left.

You're obviously not from Alberta. Soccer is only a club sport here, and HS football is booming. There are sixteen programs that I can think of off the top of my head in the south zone (Lethbridge/Medicine Hat/rural south of Calgary) alone. There are dozens more in the rest of the province, and there is a nine-man league in the north. Games at the University-Community Stadium in Lethbridge are very well attended, with over 2000 (2500 capacity) at many games.

TravelPat1

High School football is struggling in Ontario.  There was an article in the Hamilton player a few months ago that mentioned as many as 4 High Schools were considering dropping their football programs. 

And there have been a number of articles on the struggles and decline in the number of football programs at Ontario high schools. 

https://www.canadafootballchat.com/3rd-goal-6-future-of-high-school-game-in-ontario-remains-uncertain/

Argofan_1000

Hmm - can you hear any boos?  Looks and sounds like thousands of CANADIANS cheering loudly FOR Canada when Canada scored a goal in a win against Jamaica last month at BMO.   ::)

Exactly - I was at that game. The Jamaican supporters were pretty quiet -  and respectful.
already happened and will continue to happen. Team Canada's former Captain Jason de Vos said when Canada (he) played at BMO he was booed every time he touched the ball. here is his quote from "Goal.com"

"In just a few short days, the Canadian men's national team embarks on ... Four days later, Honduras pays a visit to Toronto's BMO Field for ... a home game,"  Canada captain Jason de Vos told Goal.com. ... every time I touched the ball the vast majority of the crowd booed "

There are other examples on the web so please don't say it doesn't happen.  If Italy plays team Canada in a qualifier at BMO I wouldn't even take younger kids to this event in Toronto/Montreal as I feel the kids would be in danger. Everyone knows it is true. Same for every other national team in the GTA with a large population, Canada will be the outsiders.

Aerial

That's just a very sad situation to be booed like that representing your country.  Wow!  But I guess that's how some "Canadian" soccer fans behave.  
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

GernB

High School football is struggling in Ontario.  There was an article in the Hamilton player a few months ago that mentioned as many as 4 High Schools were considering dropping their football programs.

And there have been a number of articles on the struggles and decline in the number of football programs at Ontario high schools.

https://www.canadafootballchat.com/3rd-goal-6-future-of-high-school-game-in-ontario-remains-uncertain/
Odd how the sport can be struggling in Ontario but thriving in Alberta. Conditions can't be that different.

Seems to be doing alright in Quebec as well.

Aerial

Anyways, let's hope if this bid is successful and Canada gets some WC games, that this type of situation doesn't play out. Can you imagine taking your kids to a game with this bs happening?  Another black mark on soccer fans, does it ever end?  Soccer itself is a great game but the fans need to stop taking out their political ideology at soccer stadiums, to the point here where officials were afraid violence inside the stadium might ensue.  The game of soccer doesn't deserve this garbage:

Amid violence in Catalonia, FC Barcelona plays in an empty stadium

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/10/01/amid-violence-in-catalonia-fc-barcelona-plays-in-an-empty-stadium/?utm_term=.6090d4c60544

alphamale111

already happened and will continue to happen. Team Canada's former Captain Jason de Vos said when Canada (he) played at BMO he was booed every time he touched the ball. here is his quote from "Goal.com"

"In just a few short days, the Canadian men's national team embarks on ... Four days later, Honduras pays a visit to Toronto's BMO Field for ... a home game,"  Canada captain Jason de Vos told Goal.com. ... every time I touched the ball the vast majority of the crowd booed "

There are other examples on the web so please don't say it doesn't happen.  If Italy plays team Canada in a qualifier at BMO I wouldn't even take younger kids to this event in Toronto/Montreal as I feel the kids would be in danger. Everyone knows it is true. Same for every other national team in the GTA with a large population, Canada will be the outsiders.

Please...  how long ago was that? De Vos has not played since 2004... We have come a long way in support for the national team in 13 years. BMO field was not there 13 yrs ago... so not sure what you are on about. You really should not be misusing quotes to prove something you have no idea about.  Maybe-  if you were talking about the lack of home support prior to 2010 qualification rounds -  maybe. the Home game in Montreal was a pro Honduran crowd.  Like I said we've come a long way from those days.
Like I said I have been to many home games across the country and quite a few away matches. I have never heard us being booed at home. We at the Voyageurs support have worked to ensure team Canada games are pro Canada. Don't you dare insult our work and effort with some childish attempt to demean soccer and the fans.

alphamale111

Anyways, let's hope if this bid is successful and Canada gets some WC games, that this type of situation doesn't play out. Can you imagine taking your kids to a game with this bs happening?  Another black mark on soccer fans, does it ever end?  Soccer itself is a great game but the fans need to stop taking out their political ideology at soccer stadiums, to the point here where officials were afraid violence inside the stadium might ensue.  The game of soccer doesn't deserve this garbage:

Amid violence in Catalonia, FC Barcelona plays in an empty stadium

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/10/01/amid-violence-in-catalonia-fc-barcelona-plays-in-an-empty-stadium/?utm_term=.6090d4c60544
Seriously? what does this have to do with Canada soccer and it's fans? Event visiting fans? Has that happened on Canadian soil? So stop with this garbage about Canadian soccer fans.

alphamale111

That's just a very sad situation to be booed like that representing your country.  Wow!  But I guess that's how some "Canadian" soccer fans behave.  
Ummm... No. That quote has seriously been misrepresented. De vos has not played since 2004 for the national team and he certainly did not play Honduras at BMO... built 2006/7. Yes crowds pre 2010 could be pro opposition back then. We have worked very hard to ensure pro-Canada support at these games. 

TravelPat1

And much of that VERY pro-Canada environment that has been present at BMO Field for Canada's teams recently - including Gold Cup and World Cup qualifiers - (and by recent I mean the last several years) - has in part been driven by the thousands that are part of TFC supporters groups and other Toronto FC fans who not only show up in the thousands to TFC games but show up in good numbers for Canada's national team - even though that team has really struggled of late but is showing real signs of improvement lately that hopefully they can build on between  now and 2026.  

I went to Canada's Under 20 World Cup game against Chile ten years ago in 2007 at BMO Field - and even at that game the overwhelming majority of the sellout of 20,000+ at the game were cheering for Canada.  (Mind you Canada did not score - so we never really had a chance to go nuts - lol)

Much like Canadian basketball teams 15-20 years ago playing in Toronto might see Canada fans in the minority when playing against somebody. Eg. - When at the 1994 FIBA championships the Greek national team had about 80% of the Maple Leafs Gardens crowd cheering for them. But that would never happen now with the growth of basketball in this country - particularly in Southern Ontario with the success of the Raptors creating tens of thousands of Canadian basketball fans.  Any Canadian team would very much be the home team today - in every sense of the word when playing a game in Toronto.

alphamale111

And much of that VERY pro-Canada environment that has been present at BMO Field for Canada's teams recently - including Gold Cup and World Cup qualifiers - (and by recent I mean the last several years) - has in part been driven by the thousands that are part of TFC supporters groups and other Toronto FC fans who not only show up in the thousands to TFC games but show up in good numbers for Canada's national team - even though that team has really struggled of late but is showing real signs of improvement lately that hopefully they can build on between  now and 2026.  

I went to Canada's Under 20 World Cup game against Chile ten years ago in 2007 at BMO Field - and even at that game the overwhelming majority of the sellout of 20,000+ at the game were cheering for Canada.  (Mind you Canada did not score - so we never really had a chance to go nuts - lol)

Much like Canadian basketball teams 15-20 years ago playing in Toronto might see Canada fans in the minority when playing against somebody. Eg. - When at the 1994 FIBA championships the Greek national team had about 80% of the Maple Leafs Gardens crowd cheering for them. But that would never happen now with the growth of basketball in this country - particularly in Southern Ontario with the success of the Raptors creating tens of thousands of Canadian basketball fans.  Any Canadian team would very much be the home team today - in every sense of the word when playing a game in Toronto.
Exactly!

Aerial

Sorry guys, great sport in soccer but garbage mentality from so many of their fans with a European mindset.  We don't want this crap in Canada.

Sorry, you can apologize all you want but that's the schtick from my point of view.  

Don't want crap in Canada where people use a great sport like soccer for their political purposes.  No thank YOU.  Garbage. I want nothing to do with this but I'm afraid this will be coming to Canada, just what I think.

Granted, soccer ain't my thing and probably never will be as an entertainment sport for my viewing pleasure, no question, will grant you that.  That be said, I do often watch on Sportscentre the MLS highlights for Canadian teams.  

It would help if Canada was able to compete more in men's soccer on the world scene.  Again, can't deny that.  I guess that could be why some Canadians with a soccer background sort of make a joke about the men's national team.

Users Online

107 Guests, 14 Users (16 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
tony, Taleback, habcat, EastVanMark, Iconic SR, The Last Word, Mark, GOTC1, Gornaldatron, ticats28, KevinRiley2, cheater, Google (16)

Most Online Today: 192. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)