alphamale111

...I heard today too that any potential funding earmarked for Calgary for the Olympic bid would be lost if this idea was pursued...it's only a request for a RFP package anyways, doubt it'll materialize into anything substantial for any of the prairie cities....
Heard this as well.
Edmonton will most likely get the nod.

Mightygoose

http://www.tsn.ca/seven-canadian-cities-shortlisted-for-2026-wc-bid-1.830833

7 Canadian Cities/9 Stadiums being short listed.

Vancouver: BC Place
Edmonton: Commonwealth Stadium

Calgary: McMahon Stadium
Regina: New Mosiac

Ottawa: TD Place
Toronto: Rogers Centre and BMO Field

Montreal: Olympic Stadium and Saputo Stadium
Cities will need to submit their bid by September 5. This will likely be down to 3…4 max by then,

FIFA will require the stadiums to be 40K seats permanent..not temporary. Plus grass fields with enough practice facilities nearby, also grass fields for multiple teams and enough 5 star hotels for players, FIFA members, sponsors etc….the later requirements may knock Edmonton out.
Likely the big 3 cities will be left standing. BMO won’t likely be an option in Toronto so would need to use Rogers Centre

FIFA has used stadiums with temp seating in the past. BMO can be expanded to 40K per the original  designs if needed.
Is that 40K permanent seating for BMO?
According to this article FIFA wants that minimum. Temps were fine for U-20 and the Women's but not the men's. It's the reason why Winnipeg didn't let their name stand on the short-list.
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/08/15/winnipeg-left-off-world-cup-list

alphamale111

http://www.tsn.ca/seven-canadian-cities-shortlisted-for-2026-wc-bid-1.830833

7 Canadian Cities/9 Stadiums being short listed.

Vancouver: BC Place
Edmonton: Commonwealth Stadium

Calgary: McMahon Stadium
Regina: New Mosiac

Ottawa: TD Place
Toronto: Rogers Centre and BMO Field

Montreal: Olympic Stadium and Saputo Stadium
Cities will need to submit their bid by September 5. This will likely be down to 3…4 max by then,

FIFA will require the stadiums to be 40K seats permanent..not temporary. Plus grass fields with enough practice facilities nearby, also grass fields for multiple teams and enough 5 star hotels for players, FIFA members, sponsors etc….the later requirements may knock Edmonton out.
Likely the big 3 cities will be left standing. BMO won’t likely be an option in Toronto so would need to use Rogers Centre

FIFA has used stadiums with temp seating in the past. BMO can be expanded to 40K per the original  designs if needed.
Is that 40K permanent seating for BMO?
According to this article FIFA wants that minimum. Temps were fine for U-20 and the Women's but not the men's. It's the reason why Winnipeg didn't let their name stand on the short-list.
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/08/15/winnipeg-left-off-world-cup-list

MLSE is already working on plans to upgrade to 42K. Original plans for the stadium had it with 40K with retractable seating in the north and south ends. this is a long way out. 12K seats can be added with a refurbished  west end, additional seats and boxes on the north  - incorporated in the Food Building and 2K in temp seats on the south end. Winnepeg's stadium would require too many temps seats.

KevinRiley2

I'd rather Calgary get the winter Olympics.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

KevinRiley2

Thank God this never turned into the 80K stadium in Toronto uproar that Patrick predicted - and hoped for.  Cooler heads prevailed and people were smart enough to limit the public money for this silliness.  

We are an after thought for this tournament.  

Argofan_1000

Thank God this never turned into the 80K stadium in Toronto uproar that Patrick predicted - and hoped for.  Cooler heads prevailed and people were smart enough to limit the public money for this silliness.  

we better not waste any money on any of this

KevinRiley2

Thank God this never turned into the 80K stadium in Toronto uproar that Patrick predicted - and hoped for.  Cooler heads prevailed and people were smart enough to limit the public money for this silliness.  

we better not waste any money on any of this
I agree.  But some of us (that damn Patrick) want an NFL team and are willing to spend our tax dollars to get one.  To heck with that.

Mightygoose

Six Canadian Cities bidding to host World Cup.

http://www.tsn.ca/six-canadian-cities-bid-for-world-cup-games-1.850101

The stadiums that are used in the bid by each city are: Commonwealth Stadium (Edmonton),  Olympic Stadium (Montreal), TD Place Stadium (Ottawa),  Mosiac Stadium (Regina),  BMO Field (Toronto) and BC Place (Vancouver).
Absent from previous list: Rogers Centre in Toronto, Saputo Stadium in Montreal and McMahon Stadium in Calgary

c-way-dude

Since FIFA now requires all World Cup stadium seating to be permanent, does that mean that Ottawa and Saskatchewan are considering expanding their respective facilities to 40k (minimum seating required to host World Cup)?

Mightygoose

Since FIFA now requires all World Cup stadium seating to be permanent, does that mean that Ottawa and Saskatchewan are considering expanding their respective facilities to 40k (minimum seating required to host World Cup)?
Not anymore!

They have just been removed off the narrowed list by the United Bid Committee

http://www.tsn.ca/2026-wc-committee-pares-list-of-host-cities-1.875602

Only Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto (BMO field) and Montreal (Olympic Stadium remain).

These 4 made the most sense all along.

The Last Word

Vancouver is the surest bet at this point - 54 - 55,000 seats and they will spend the necessary money to install grass, whether that be putting it on top of the current turf (just like Detroit did back in 1994 at the Silverdome) or spend tens of millions installing a real grass field..ripping out concrete and installing proper drainage.  I see the former happening

Montreal will be contingent on fixing the roof - still no funding has been confirmed on that front but you would be looking at $200 million for that alone.  Plus, a grass field.  Again, place it on top of the turf or install a brand new grass field.  I see the former as it is much cheaper.  They would also need to spend a couple hundred million on improving the concourses and replacing the seating.  FIFA will not stand for a stadium that will have seen no significant interior improvements for 50 years.  This is a significant amount of money to spend for what would likely be 3 or 4 games, but they would use the dome for other events to justify the costs - Grey Cup every 6-8 years, concerts return here from Park Drapeau, winter events - ie indoor winter festival, motocross.  In the end, they could get another 25-50 years out of the facility with these improvements.

Edmonton has the upgraded facility and capacity at 56,000 although the stadium could use 2 upper deck concourses to lessen the congestion on Commonwealth's only concourse.  The biggest concerns are the lack of hotel capacity in the city, lack of direct flights to certain cities and transit from an out-of-the-way airport to key locations ie. stadium, hotels, event centres.

Toronto has a 28,000 seat stadium which may see further expansion on the west side to more closer mirror the east side bringing capacity closer to 35,000.  Contrary to what a previous poster stated, FIFA has and will accept temp seating at its venues.  They did this at the last 2 World Cups in Brazil and South Africa.  Toronto can bring BMO capacity to over 40,000 which will be more than adequate for the opening rounds.

Overall, I see Toronto and Vancouver as sure things for hosting, while Montreal will be the third choice assuming they fix the roof at Olympic Stadium along with further renovations.  Failing that, Edmonton will get the third spot.  I don't see all 4 cities receiving the games, not for a measly 10 games.

Argofan_1000

I can't wait for Team Canada to play some of these other teams and get booed on their own soil.

Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto - perfect

Aerial

That's the way Canadian immigrants often behave, one reason I can't stand the sport of soccer.  Pure crap and garbage with some of how these Canadians act towards their "own" here in Canada.

Oh, but they love living in Canada rather than England, Portugal, Africa, Asia, Middle East, Europe because they like the Canadian quality of life and health care and where, if they were in their own country, they would be low, low class citizens.  Piece of crap thinking but hey, what can you do.  Canada loves them all despite the fact they laugh at Canada, in Canada's face.

A lot of our doctors here, especially from England from what I do know, couldn't even make it in England as a decent physician.  And I've heard that from a number of people.

Garbage.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

alphamale111

That's the way Canadian immigrants often behave, one reason I can't stand the sport of soccer.  Pure crap and garbage with some of how these Canadians act towards their "own" here in Canada.

Oh, but they love living in Canada rather than England, Portugal, Africa, Asia, Middle East, Europe because they like the Canadian quality of life and health care and where, if they were in their own country, they would be low, low class citizens.  Piece of crap thinking but hey, what can you do.  Canada loves them all despite the fact they laugh at Canada, in Canada's face.

A lot of our doctors here, especially from England from what I do know, couldn't even make it in England as a decent physician.  And I've heard that from a number of people.

Garbage.
I've been to several nation team matches and I gave never heard them being booed.

alphamale111

I can't wait for Team Canada to play some of these other teams and get booed on their own soil.

Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto - perfect

Never happened at any of the games I've attended. So quit trying to put down fans in those cities.

Users Online

67 Guests, 2 Users (10 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
bohdon, KevinRiley2, Google (10)

Most Online Today: 113. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)