Aerial

And yet, you want coaches heads to roll because the Women's team lost. Hard to figure.
That's a fair enough comment as very competitive sport does bring out a tonne of emotions.  Fair enough, comes with the territory of high-level sport,  as long as at the end of the day everyone can put that behind and just think about what the main human, er humane, values that the Olympics is all about, unity, togetherness, peace etc.  

"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

DAN38

And yet, you want coaches heads to roll because the Women's team lost. Hard to figure.
That's a fair enough comment as very competitive sport does bring out a tonne of emotions.  Fair enough, comes with the territory of high-level sport,  as long as at the end of the day everyone can put that behind and just think about what the main human, er humane, values that the Olympics is all about, unity, togetherness, peace etc.  
   Good post,Aerial.

As sports fans we have the right to critique. Using their own critiques is how a team gets better. If someone on their team is hurting the team, they get rid of them. Because of the spirit of the Olympics is sportsmanship doesn't mean we can't point out bad behaviour or bad decisions. What a sad world if we all just sat idly while some ingrate spits on our flag because his/her day went bad and he/she's going to have a tantrum.BS...Even in the NHL, I hate to see a grown man smash and break his stick. Very juvenile. If he doesn't want it, give it to a kid in the stands.

The vast majority of athletes act with dignity. That's why it is so easy to see the bad apples. Bad apples can spoil the rest in the barrel. They usually get thrown out.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

Iconic SR

Susan Ormiston‏Verified account
@OrmistonOnline

7h7 hours ago
Canadian athlete, manager arrested and released for stealing a car and driving drunk in PyeongChang. Police investigating won't name athlete; group hopped in an idling car and drove to athletes village, blood alcohol .160 according to Gangwon police, said they were cold @CBCNews

Diana Swain‏Verified account
@swaindiana

6h6 hours ago
Local police confirm to @Cbcnews @TeamCanada Ski Cross athlete Dave Duncan and two others arrested in incident with stolen vehicle.

steve simmons‏Verified account
@simmonssteve

3h3 hours ago
More details on the Canadian stolen car story. The third person arrested aside from Dave Duncan and his wife, Maja, was Nancy Greene's son, Willy Raine. He's a technical coach on the Canadian ski team.
Still can't believe how crazy this story is and how nuts their behaviour was. Then to learn they only received fines of around $6K, $1K and $1K after the Canadian lawyers and the Canadian diplomatic community and consulate stepped in. That costs us taxpayers a bundle. Resulting in a very lenient and easy sentence for 3 Canadians committing felonies in South Korea.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4046609/david-duncan-released-fined/

Imagine if you were on a work trip, and decided to get plastered, steal a car, drive drunk, get arrested etc. Would your employer pay your legal bills to get you off easy? Kinda doubt it. I think you would be fired and be responsible for your own legal bills. Hoping to hear some serious repercussions for these three back home - because they just received a very light slap on the wrist in PyeongChang because we are paying to defend Olympians when they go on a crime spree. Not cool. Most people have an internal boundary system that stops short of public drunkenness, and drinking and driving while stealing cars. Let alone in a country that has cameras literally everywhere - while you're participating in the Olympics, wearing Team Canada garb. Not these 3. Wow.

(FYI: Team Canada has government funded legal representation wherever they go)

Aerial

The vast majority of athletes act with dignity. That's why it is so easy to see the bad apples. Bad apples can spoil the rest in the barrel. They usually get thrown out.
Absolutely Dan.  I think it's partly because of how the news and media like to concentrate on "bad things" that we ourselves often think of just the negative when as you say, most are positive and dignified as you say.

Reminds me of the optimism of the Christian mystic Julian of Norwich that I have been reading a bit about.  For someone like her to have been optimistic in the times she lived as a woman especially, well, that is something.  I wish our news was more positive and optimistic but it's up to us, each individual, to see that there is reason to see the good in times of trouble being done by a few "bad apples".  And "bad apples" can become good "good apples" as well, none of us is perfect, that's for sure.

All Will be Well: The Radical Optimism of Julian of Norwich

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/mirabai-starr/julian-of-norwich_b_4115736.html

DAN38

Negative thinking and living can affect your mind and body, well, negatively. Learning how to lose turns a negative into a positive. Learning how to win is just as important.

As you say, the media likes to concentrate on the negative. I stopped reading the newspaper and watching TV news a long time ago. Some say I am ignoring what's going on around me but I would gladly watch the news if the balance was more even. Nice to hear once in a while about a boy scout troop helping a unfortunate family or a group of nuns assisting in a hospital for free. I'm more interested in this kind of story than a domestic homicide. If good news can make more people want to help and live a good life then how come we can't figure out that being bombarded by negative stories, news and movies will only result in things like the latest shooting in Florida. I am not ignoring what goes on but I'm also not wrapping myself up in it like a blanket. The crap on TV 'that everyone is talking about' is very fleeting. There's always a new killer/murderer TV show waiting around the corner......AND that brings me to sports. Sports has it's own brand of negative but for the majority of the time it is positive. The good from sports far outweighs any bad. The overall memory I have from these Olympics is very good. I noticed much more comradery among competing athletes. Some were even cheering each other on.  It's also nice to see a smile on a face even if they lost.

Aerial

I noticed much more comradery among competing athletes
Got the same impression Dan.

Iconic SR

Russia gets rewarded with IOC reinstatement - for failing two doping tests. The Olympics are officially a farce. 

http://www.cbc.ca/1.4555191

Users Online

67 Guests, 4 Users (16 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Hamilton2005, blackandgld, Google (AdSense) (2), Google (14)

Most Online Today: 129. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)