DAN38

Once the Swiss scored the third goal in the third they played the box with five men. That and the fact that their goalie is pretty good stifled us almost completely. While this style may win you games, it is very boring hockey... We also had too many stupid penalties.

Congrats to the Swiss and I hope they win tomorrow. If they can beat us they can beat the swedes.... The USA imploded once again. Wicked slash changed the game.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

Aerial

Taped it and just watched it.  They took it to Canada and Canada couldn't respond, not good but hey, congrats to the Swiss, full credit to them for this surprising win.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

Hank01

Canada better not take the Swiss lightly though or it'll be over for them.  
If Canada falls behind by 1 goal, we will be in trouble.
If we fall behind by 2, it's over.

The Swiss are trapping machines.
Well...  Canada made the mistake of falling behind by 2 and, as I said above, it was over.  :(
With the talent on the ice the Canadian's should win .

Kinda like the way the world works now even if it's at our expense like today .

Maybe the audience is the problem and we hero worship and bestow too much on a few lucky talented guys and forget it's a game . Kinda why I love the Vegas Knights story it's brilliant and kinda beautiful in cinderella way .

Loved when the NBA dream team got beat by nobody's . Loved when soccer powers get beat by plumbers and carpenters  or When Japan , Mexico or Cuba beat MLB guys and It's why I love the CFL it's just a game .

Still wanted Canada to beat the Swiss but holy cow the Swiss are beating us regularly now and that's with very good NHL players .

It's just kids games and anybody can play it .
The big ice plays a BIG part.  The Canadians looked lost out there.
I would say that's true in 72 . Now the guys are fitness freaks . The NHL guys don't have a cigarette at intermission and train all year round. They don't even hit anymore like they use to so the larger ice let's the finesse come out .

The Canadians were the better team I just think the game like when the US beat the Russians in the 80 Olympics it's a kid's game and if you play to a certain level anybody can beat anybody any given Sunday .

Stole that last part couldn't resist .
I disagree, my friend.

Hold the game on the small ice and Canada wins in a walk.
  Well in front of vocal Canadian fans yes their might be a huge edge  on home ice or home like atmosphere but the ice surface with the talent level the CanadianNHL have they should win whether they play in my back yard the moon or Denmark .

The finesse game in hockey is now geared to the bigger ice surface .This hockey we watch now is nothing like hockey we grew up with . The grittier part of the game is at a far less level and the skating speed is at a much higher level .

The Swiss with a significant  less talent pool beat a team that would be an par with teams playing for the Stanley Cup that is significant when you look at how some players on our NHL team played hockey all year round since they were probably 8 years old . 

I give credit to them for beating the giant (us guys ) fair and square . Canada out shot them 45 to 17

Swiss only had one shot on goal in the third period .

The ice surface didn't stop any of those 45 shots they fired on the  net .

KevinRiley2

Canada better not take the Swiss lightly though or it'll be over for them.  
If Canada falls behind by 1 goal, we will be in trouble.
If we fall behind by 2, it's over.

The Swiss are trapping machines.
Well...  Canada made the mistake of falling behind by 2 and, as I said above, it was over.  :(
With the talent on the ice the Canadian's should win .

Kinda like the way the world works now even if it's at our expense like today .

Maybe the audience is the problem and we hero worship and bestow too much on a few lucky talented guys and forget it's a game . Kinda why I love the Vegas Knights story it's brilliant and kinda beautiful in cinderella way .

Loved when the NBA dream team got beat by nobody's . Loved when soccer powers get beat by plumbers and carpenters  or When Japan , Mexico or Cuba beat MLB guys and It's why I love the CFL it's just a game .

Still wanted Canada to beat the Swiss but holy cow the Swiss are beating us regularly now and that's with very good NHL players .

It's just kids games and anybody can play it .
The big ice plays a BIG part.  The Canadians looked lost out there.
I would say that's true in 72 . Now the guys are fitness freaks . The NHL guys don't have a cigarette at intermission and train all year round. They don't even hit anymore like they use to so the larger ice let's the finesse come out .

The Canadians were the better team I just think the game like when the US beat the Russians in the 80 Olympics it's a kid's game and if you play to a certain level anybody can beat anybody any given Sunday .

Stole that last part couldn't resist .
I disagree, my friend.

Hold the game on the small ice and Canada wins in a walk.
Well in front of vocal Canadian fans yes their might be a huge edge  on home ice or home like atmosphere but the ice surface with the talent level the CanadianNHL have they should win whether they play in my back yard the moon or Denmark .

The finesse game in hockey is now geared to the bigger ice surface .This hockey we watch now is nothing like hockey we grew up with . The grittier part of the game is at a far less level and the skating speed is at a much higher level .

The Swiss with a significant  less talent pool beat a team that would be an par with teams playing for the Stanley Cup that is significant when you look at how some players on our NHL team played hockey all year round since they were probably 8 years old .

I give credit to them for beating the giant (us guys ) fair and square . Canada out shot them 45 to 17 .

Swiss only had one shot on goal in the third period .

The ice surface didn't stop any of those 45 shots they fired on the  net .
TBH, I don't care about the World Championship.  Would I like to see us win?  Of course.  But...

It is a crummy tournament, played every year, and I can't remember the last time I took it seriously.

As for the game itself...

Our goaltending was awful.  It has been ALL tournament

The Canadian team has far more talent than Switzerland and, on the small ice, I feel Canada would have won easily - no matter where it was played.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Hank01

US and Canada all tied up at 1 . Started out slow and is starting to heat up . 

Hank01

2 empty net goals and it's 4-1 USA . Canada gets no medals in this years World Cup . 

tony

Lack of goal scoring pretty much all tournament for Canada.

everyman

2 empty net goals and it's 4-1 USA . Canada gets no medals in this years World Cup .
Yup hockey is a world game for sure now. We don't own it, nor should we be concerned about that fact. Makes the game more compelling in many ways. In fact most NHL teams best players are not necessarily Canadian

Aerial

Absolutely.  I think most Canadians know we don't "own" the game anymore and I also think many Canadians don't really care that much about Canadians "owning" the game.  The Stanley Cup is regarded as the highest level of championship hockey in the world and the teams employ whoever they feel can win them the trophy, whatever a player's nationality is.  I don't even think Cherry goes around saying, like he used to, such and such a team needs more Canadians to be able to be a consistent winner, I don't think so anyways. He's not that stupid.  ;)  Is he?  ;)

PTBO Dave

Yup hockey is a world game for sure now. We don't own it, nor should we be concerned about that fact. Makes the game more compelling in many ways. In fact most NHL teams best players are not necessarily Canadian
Agreed. I think it's much more compelling to be one of several nations/teams that have a shot. It used to seem that if Canada didn't win, it was because we somehow made huge mistakes, and winning wasn't that satisfying because that was the default position.

But now if we win it's because we excelled and achieved something difficult, which is more satisfying, IMHO.

KevinRiley2

Agreed. I think it's much more compelling to be one of several nations/teams that have a shot. It used to seem that if Canada didn't win, it was because we somehow made huge mistakes, and winning wasn't that satisfying because that was the default position.

But now if we win it's because we excelled and achieved something difficult, which is more satisfying, IMHO.
Good Lord, boys...

Let's see...

We were the Gold Medal champion in Men's Olympic hockey before they moved away from Best on Best.
We were the Gold Medal champion in Women's hockey for 16 years.
We won the World Cup on hockey.
We are the World Junior champion.
In the last 4 years, we were in the Gold Medal game 3 times at the World Championship, and we won twice - where we don't send our best players to play on the big ice.

Oh, and by the way...

In the last 8 Best on Best tournaments, we won 5.

In the last 10 Best on Best tournament, we won 7.

I think we're doing just fine.

Hank01

Good Lord, boys...

Let's see...

We are the Gold Medal champion in Men's Olympic hockey.
In the last 4 years, we were in the Gold Medal game 3 times at the World Championship, and we won twice - where we don't send our best players to play on the big ice.

Oh, and by the way...

I Don't think anyone is saying what you think they are saying Kev . Nobody is saying Canadian hockey is bad . 

They are saying the world has changed and there is a more competitive hockey field which is good for the sport (except womens hockey there is a large gap after US and Canada ). 

KevinRiley2

Good Lord, boys...

Let's see...

Oh, and by the way...

I Don't think anyone is saying what you think they are saying Kev . Nobody is saying Canadian hockey is bad .

They are saying the world has changed and there is a more competitive hockey field which is good for the sport (except womens hockey there is a large gap after US and Canada ).

That's fair.  

I'm just saying, "Please don't read too much into a 4th place finish, at a 2nd rate tournament, when most of our players don't even want to be there."

tony

Good Lord, boys...

Let's see...

Oh, and by the way...

That's fair.  

I'm just saying, "Please don't read too much into a 4th place finish, at a 2nd rate tournament, when most of our players don't even want to be there."
Bingo!

KevinRiley2

Sweden won in a shoot out. Yawn.

Users Online

94 Guests, 10 Users (15 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
FormerlyTurkish, KevinRiley2, FootbalYouBet, shadowski, Mightygoose, RedandWhite, T44, rcon, Beam reach, Google (AdSense) (6), Google (9)

Most Online Today: 164. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)