TravelPat1

That attendance chart compared this seasons averages with the final 2017 averages.

The numbers from my spreadsheets after 152 games:

2017 3,180,605 avg 20,925
2018 3,143,301 avg 20,817

Attendance is down about 1.2%.

It should be noted that Audi Field, DC's new home that opens next month, will only have a capacity of 20,000. They could fill the place for every game and still drag the league average down.
Thanks for those numbers btharner.  Nice to see an apples to apples comparison. 

As for Audi Field - sure it is only a 20,000 seater - but with 31 Luxury suites the revenue stream will be way up for DC United compared to what they could generate last year at RFK. Including the reported $4 million per year Audi are paying for naming rights to the new stadium. 

Here's a look at the stadium that opens next month. Looks like it will be a great new home for DC United. 
http://www.fox5dc.com/sports/audi-field-exclusive-look-at-dc-uniteds-name-stadium

Hank01

Thats a good looking Audi stadium . 

MLS and their infrastructure essential  business model is genius . 

To have no high value TV money but to lure high influenced investors who can influence public spending to build this stadium is an amazing tactical manoeuvre 
that is valued in the business world where  people , power and influence is paramount in reduced risk for the savy well healed investor  .

I am sure in DC nobody's political agenda suffered when it came to donations .

btharner

Let's see...

The Ups...

LA Galaxy is up 10%
Minnesota is up 2%
K.C. is up 1%
Houston is up 6%

The Downs...

Seattle is down 9%
Toronto is down 3% - LOL!!!  Yeah, right.  More like 20%.
Orlando is down 3%
NY FC is down 5%
Vancouver is down 2%
Montreal is down 2%
NY Red Bulls are down 13%
San Jose is down 10%
Real Salt Lake is down 7%
Philadelphia is down 7%
Colorado is down 2%
New England is down 25%
Dallas is down 4%
Chicago is down 18%
Columbus is down 33%
D.C. is down 51%
Once again, you are taking the figures from the final totals of the 2017 season. My figures are based on the equivalent number of games this year vs last. In the end, there will be 17 more games due to LAFC (whose stadium capacity is less than 2017 league average and will not help the final average comparison.).
Isn't it the norm now--for all sports--to exaggerate attendance numbers anyway? I think even the Lions (and the Whitecaps) did this.
This is true. Attendance figures no longer reflect the number of people actually sitting in the stadium. In many cases, it is the number of tickets distributed (sold and comps). In some cases, such as many NCAA football programs, the number includes everybody in the stadium such as fans, vendors, press, security personnel, and ushers. 

To me, it just seems intellectually dishonest to announce anything but bodies in the seats. but everybody does it. I remember going to an Orioles game many decades ago and I almost went through the turnstile twice, which caused one of the gate workers to go nuts. I did not know their significance at the time. I had tickets for a Yankees-Nationals game that was rained out last month. If I don't exchange the tickets before the makeup on June 18th, I'll probably be counted in the attendance for the game even though I'll be 180 miles away.

rshmglsky

You know what I find interesting. A Google news search turns up that solitary article. There was nothing on USA Today, ESPN, or the Columbus Dispatch. Usually, the press goes nuts at the slightest hint of soccer fan violence. Something doesn't seem right here.

I don't want to spread vitriol, but here is a news article that came out a few days ago.

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/columbus-crew-sc/columbus-police-department-confirms-report-of-fan-fight-hope-for-assistance-from-victims/

Yikes flares.

btharner

Flares are one of those idiotic European soccer customs that some MLS fans feel to need to emulate just because it's European. I have never understood the allure of setting them off during a game, it's a danger to anybody in the immediate vicinity.

alphamale111

Flares are one of those idiotic European soccer customs that some MLS fans feel to need to emulate just because it's European. I have never understood the allure of setting them off during a game, it's a danger to anybody in the immediate vicinity.
Agreed - The smoke you see at BMO is actually just smoke... No heat and sanctioned by the FO.

The signal flares you see used in the marches and in that idiotic incident are something different.
Those are not allowed in any MLS stadium.

TravelPat1

Happy for that win in Philly tonight. REALLY needed that one. 

Next - home game vs. DC United on a new 'pitch' at BMO Field.

TravelPat1

On what some say was the biggest day in Canadian soccer history because of the 2026 World Cup - the day finishes with an INSANE game involving Canada's most successful club team.

Crazy winds today - knocking down lots of trees in the GTA - and those winds played a role in a wild, wild soccer game tonight at BMO.

TFC down 3 - 0 at halftime then roared back to tie it with the wind in the 2nd half scoring the 3 - 3 goal in the 86th minute. Only to give up one in the last minute of regulation to fall behind 4 - 3 in the 90th minute.

But hold on. More drama! Nick Hagglund - who had scored the 3 - 3 tying goal came through again in the 2nd minute of stoppage time. 

a 4 - 4 THRILLER!

Here the 4-4 goal. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48USzekDP98

KevinRiley2

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2018-mls-attendance/

"another set of lower-than-anticipated numbers in 2018 MLS attendance, as the league just can’t shake its 2018 attendance blues."

Last week was another BAD week in the MLS.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

rcon

"another set of lower-than-anticipated numbers in 2018 MLS attendance, as the league just can’t shake its 2018 attendance blues."

Looks like their attendance s down 7% already. Some are down 25%.

KevinRiley2

Looks like their attendance s down 7% already. Some are down 25%.
The numbers are down HUGE!!!  7% is the fudged number...

MLS is known for fudging numbers.  If it wasn't for the new L.A. franchise and Atlanta lifting all boats, the numbers would be atrocious.  

The best part, the numbers in some of their biggest/best franchises are falling : New England (-25%), Chicago (-18%), NY Red Bulls (-15%), Seattle (-9%).

Plus, have you seen the TFC games this year?

Supposedly, the TFC numbers are only down 5%.  LOL!

You could drive a truck thru the endless empty seats - and they JUST won the MLS Cup.   ;D

KevinRiley2

That attendance chart compared this seasons averages with the final 2017 averages.

It should be noted that Audi Field, DC's new home that opens next month, will only have a capacity of 20,000. They could fill the place for every game and still drag the league average down.
Thanks for those numbers btharner.  Nice to see an apples to apples comparison.
Apples to apples...  Pffft.  More like apples to prunes.

Spin the numbers all you want, they are down and down BIG.  Looks good on them and it is only a matter of time before this pyramid starts to crumble.

rcon

Spin the numbers all you want, the are down and down BIG.  Looks good on them and it is only a matter of time before this pyramid starts to crumble.
The ponzi rats will soon be leaving the sinking ship!!!

KevinRiley2

Spin the numbers all you want, the are down and down BIG.  Looks good on them and it is only a matter of time before this pyramid starts to crumble.
The ponzi rats will soon be leaving the sinking ship!!!
You got that right.  :)

Users Online

54 Guests, 4 Users (13 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Mightygoose, FormerlyTurkish, TeddyFay, Google (AdSense) (2), Google (11)

Most Online Today: 109. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)