KevinRiley2

Loving the great season opener.
Just a sign of things to come for the year and with  predicted last place finishers.
Who's predicting the Jays to finish last?!
wishful thinking by some of us dreamers :)
I'll predict they finish last in their division.  Since they finished 1 game out of last in 2017, and the teams is another year older, it's not much of a stretch.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

letsgoticats

I just can't imagine paying so much attention to a team and sport I hated.  You guys sure follow the team closely!  

KevinRiley2

I just can't imagine paying so much attention to a team and sport I hated.  You guys sure follow the team closely!  
WE've been told for years that the Jays were :

1) Going to be great for a long time;
2) Toronto/Canada would not lose interest if things went bad.

WE're watching to see if WE were right or those who said 1 and 2 were right.

I'm betting on "WE".  ;)

letsgoticats

I just can't imagine paying so much attention to a team and sport I hated.  You guys sure follow the team closely!  

I'm betting on "WE".  ;)
Obviously popularity rises and falls based on team success, but they've been around for 40 years.  It's not like they're going to completely fade away after a few down seasons.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy following the team day in and day out!  The big shots at Rogers don't care what your motives are for watching ;).  

KevinRiley2

I'm betting on "WE".  ;)
Obviously popularity rises and falls based on team success, but they've been around for 40 years.  It's not like they're going to completely fade away after a few down seasons.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy following the team day in and day out!  The big shots at Rogers don't care what your motives are for watching ;).  
Re : "Obviously popularity rises and falls based on team success"

But WE were told otherwise.  ;)

TravelPat1

Before Gibby said anything about Donaldson's arm it had already been discussed on the Sportsnet broadcast and it was obvious watching the game watching him struggle with his throws from third.  And talk of how it was impacting his swing too. 

Jays right now just don't have the bats to compete with the big boys. IF - a huge if - their starting pitching stays healthy (unlike it did last year) perhaps they can hang close to a 2nd wildcard - but I just don't see it happening. 

Very moving ceremony honouring Halladay before the game. Seeing his sons walk out to place the baseball on the mound instead of the usual ceremonial first pitch sure brought a lump to my throat.

Hoping for at least a closer game when I go Friday night. 

KevinRiley2

Prime Time Sports talked about a few things Jays in the first half hour...

1) How the Jays were completely off the radar before their resurgence in the middle of 2015 - as I have said for years;
2) How Tulo is a hole, not only in the infield, but also on the bottom line;
3) How this team could REALLY be bad (unwatchable) if Donaldson can't hit.

As a Jay hater, it was fun to listen to.

KevinRiley2

Patrick :

Please listen to PTS's.  Please listen from 5:46 until 5:55.

The gang from Rogers said what I have said (and what you said was wrong) on many occasions.  They said that for 20 years, after the Jays won the World Series, NO ONE CARED!!!

They said that a ton of fans have ONLY been fans for 2 years.

I love it when I'm right. :)

Aerial

I do hope that this version of the Blue Jays is better than these first 2 games for their diehard fans because if this is sign to come for the 2018 campaign, it's going to be a long season for you diehard Blue Jay fans.  Real long.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

KevinRiley2

I do hope that this version of the Blue Jays is better than these first 2 games for their diehard fans because if this is sign to come for the 2018 campaign, it's going to be a long season for you diehard Blue Jay fans.  Real long.
:)

Aerial

Pat, I may be wrong, please tell me if this is the case, but I get the feeling the Blue Jays are your favourite most passionate pro sports team.

Please read:  ;)

Supporting winning sports teams boosts heart attack risk, study finds

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018/03/30/supporting-winning-sports-teams-boosts-heart-attack-risk-study/

KevinRiley2

As Mike Zeisberger said on PTS, prior to the summer of 2015, interest in the Jays went from "moribund" (which means "declining, in decline, waning, dying, stagnating, stagnant, crumbling, on its last legs"), to "off the charts".

I said this and was told I was wrong.  Glad Mike Zeisberger agrees with me - the smartest people always do.  

Hope the interest in the Jays returns to "moribund" very soon.

KevinRiley2

A few more quotes from the Rogers group on PTS, tonight...

Stephen Brunt : "People have kinda forgotten the 20 years before they got back in the playoffs, but think of those 20 years...  Roy Holliday played here, Roger Clemens played here, Carlos Delgado played here, and they didn't sell any tickets..."

Mike Shannon : "... a new fan base.  Which is a fan base that "a" doesn't understand the history of this team, nor do they understand, in many ways, the nuances of the game"...

"and they don't understand why they're not in the playoffs every year because they were the first two years they started following them".  

I should be on these shows because I provided this kind of insight long ago.

KevinRiley2

7 hits in 2 games...

Yeah, this team is nothing to worry about.  :)

letsgoticats

Looks like a repeat of last April for the Jays so far.  Bats are ice cold. 

Users Online

104 Guests, 13 Users (18 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Onemoredork, ticats1963, Hammertown Proud, Lyle B. Style, -Hammer-, ExPat, RichardVeilleux, Dr.Whiskey, btharner, CFLFansInToronto, Google (AdSense) (10), Google (8)

Most Online Today: 201. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)