DAN38

Don't know where your last post went, Pat. I wanted to ask you if you were on that boat that flooded ?
Si vis pacem... para bellum

letsgoticats

Well, so much for tempering our expectations.  Vlad goes 4 for 5 today with two doubles and a HR.  Now hitting .415 on the year.  

everyman

Well, so much for tempering our expectations.  Vlad goes 4 for 5 today with two doubles and a HR.  Now hitting .415 on the year.  
do you think they should just bring him up now and see how he does or too soon?

I remember Ken Griffey Jr. in a similar situation and age. They just brought him up as much to keep an eye on him and his development. I'm torn.

letsgoticats

Well, so much for tempering our expectations.  Vlad goes 4 for 5 today with two doubles and a HR.  Now hitting .415 on the year.  

I remember Ken Griffey Jr. in a similar situation and age. They just brought him up as much to keep an eye on him and his development. I'm torn.
It's such a tough choice.  The fan in me wants them to call him up immediately, but I totally understand the argument for keeping him in the minors.  If he played almost any other position, it'd be a no brainer to call him up .  Playing 3B makes things tougher, as you're not going to bench Donaldson.  You also don't want to DH Vladdy and hamper his defensive development.

I think he'll move up to AAA soon, and end up on the big league roster later in the summer barring any setbacks.   

everyman

It's such a tough choice.  The fan in me wants them to call him up immediately, but I totally understand the argument for keeping him in the minors.  If he played almost any other position, it'd be a no brainer to call him up .  Playing 3B makes things tougher, as you're not going to bench Donaldson.  You also don't want to DH Vladdy and hamper his defensive development.

I think he'll move up to AAA soon, and end up on the big league roster later in the summer barring any setbacks.  
Yeah I know. You had mentioned earlier that AA ball is often a better level for prospects than AAA though these days.
At any rate we'll see him up in Toronto soon enough. 
Along Bichette and Biggio as well. Both those guys are older and can play SS  and 2nd. We may see them sooner rather than later.

TravelPat1

Hey Dan. 
Noticed my last post disappeared too.  lol

I'm sure it wasn't the part thanking everyman for welcoming me back from the Love Boat that caused it to disappear. 

No I was not on that Carnival ship that flooded. Was on a Celebrity ship (much nicer than Carnival) and had a fantastic trip to Bermuda which really is beautiful.  The only slight negative on the cruise - sort of depressing to see so many VERY overweight people - we're not talking a bit out of shape, we're talking hundreds of obese people including some kids. So sad to see. As a result so many struggling with mobility or even with just a few stairs at relatively young ages. They really aren't kidding when they say the obesity problems in the USA is getting worse. I literally had to backtrack to get out of a hallway a few times to let larger people pass.

As for Guerrero I'm torn too - but I think leaving him in the minors until late July to develop his defensive skills is still probably the best plan - with Donaldson at 3rd.  FYI - many of the Yankees and Red Sox fans I was chatting with on the ship seem to think the Jays will trade Donaldson for some more young talent near the trading deadline. 

The Last Word

Hey Dan.
Noticed my last post disappeared too.  lol

I'm sure it wasn't the part thanking everyman for welcoming me back from the Love Boat that caused it to disappear.

No I was not on that Carnival ship that flooded. Was on a Celebrity ship (much nicer than Carnival) and had a fantastic trip to Bermuda which really is beautiful.  The only slight negative on the cruise - sort of depressing to see so many VERY overweight people - we're not talking a bit out of shape, we're talking hundreds of obese people including some kids. So sad to see. As a result so many struggling with mobility or even with just a few stairs at relatively young ages. They really aren't kidding when they say the obesity problems in the USA is getting worse. I literally had to backtrack to get out of a hallway a few times to let larger people pass.

As for Guerrero I'm torn too - but I think leaving him in the minors until late July to develop his defensive skills is still probably the best plan - with Donaldson at 3rd.  FYI - many of the Yankees and Red Sox fans I was chatting with on the ship seem to think the Jays will trade Donaldson for some more young talent near the trading deadline.
Personally I'd like to see Vlad Jr. stay in the minors the entire season to develop his defensive skills at third base to at least become an average defensive third basemen.  He will hold more value as a position player than a DH so I don't mind waiting.

As for your trip, nice to hear it was a good one.  Regarding all the obese people you saw, being on the ship certainly won't help.  I hear cruises in general are a celebration of gluttony with all-you-can eat buffets around the clock.  I thought I read a study some time ago (not sure how large the sample size was) that found the typical person on a one-week cruise gained 4-5 pounds!

everyman

Hey Dan.

No I was not on that Carnival ship that flooded. Was on a Celebrity ship (much nicer than Carnival) and had a fantastic trip to Bermuda which really is beautiful.  The only slight negative on the cruise - sort of depressing to see so many VERY overweight people - we're not talking a bit out of shape, we're talking hundreds of obese people including some kids. So sad to see. As a result so many struggling with mobility or even with just a few stairs at relatively young ages. They really aren't kidding when they say the obesity problems in the USA is getting worse. I literally had to backtrack to get out of a hallway a few times to let larger people pass.

As for Guerrero I'm torn too - but I think leaving him in the minors until late July to develop his defensive skills is still probably the best plan - with Donaldson at 3rd.  FYI - many of the Yankees and Red Sox fans I was chatting with on the ship seem to think the Jays will trade Donaldson for some more young talent near the trading deadline.
Sorry Travel..
I never saw the post but did the Love Boat comment insult you?
That was not intentional if so.
It was simply a reference to that old TV show that I think about when I think about ship cruises. 

DAN38

Hey Dan.

Good to hear. Glad you had a great time. Sorry if I derailed the thread a bit.

TravelPat1

Hey Dan.

Sorry Travel..
I never saw the post but did the Love Boat comment insult you?
That was not intentional if so.
It was simply a reference to that old TV show that I think about when I think about ship cruises.
Hey everyman - no your post did not insult me at all (other than the Love Boat TV show was on a Princess ship and I was on Celebrity - lol).

In addition to thanking you for welcoming me home - I had made a remark about the number of posts from somebody that I guess was deemed inappropriate. 

As for Guerrero Jr. - the minor league season ends at the end of August anyways - so he DEFINITELY will be with the Jays in September - so a month earlier at the beginning of August should they choose I don't think will hamper his defensive development that much - if at all.  

everyman

Finally the Jays get a laugher win as opposed to these grind out games. 12-1 over Mets to keep their heads above .500. 

Gotta get some pitching help soon though. I imagine the phones are heating up but I don't see a Donaldson trade. If they trade him now paving the way for Vlad the pressure on the kid would be monstrous. And Donaldson and Pillar are the only stable rocks they have really. 

TravelPat1

everyman

That's neat. He's a great athlete. Generally one finds that the catcher is often the best all around athlete on a team.

I remember with the last iteration of BB Team Canada he said he'd play but only at SS.

They said no so he said no.

He definitely did not want to be the catcher for that tourney. Too tough on his body at his age with the season coming up he said.

KevinRiley2

Jays down 3-1 and the place is EMPTY - on a Thursday night.

That's a shame.  :)
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

KevinRiley2

Jays lost bad.   ;D

Users Online

109 Guests, 18 Users (23 Spiders, 5 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
TravelPat1, RedandWhite, Augustus67, tcmike, ExPat, SeaFiddle, Mightygoose, pdson2, Iconic SR, bwf029, Allek, G Man, KevinRiley2, Google (AdSense) (13), Google (10)

Most Online Today: 189. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)