Aerial

As a Tigers fan and someone who heard our family in London, ON listening, there is and never was anyone in baseball like Ernie Harwell.  RIP Ernie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernie_Harwell
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

TravelPat1

Well that was one heck of a way to end spring training!

At least Montreal baseball fans had one of those - 'You've gotta be kidding me!' moments last night practically blowing the roof of the Big Owe when Vladimir Guerrero Jr ends spring training with a 2 out in the bottom of the 9th walk-off home run. 

Getting a curtain call from the Montreal crowd who went bonkers. 

Buck Martinez even called the shot!  But the TVA French play-by-play guys are over the top. 

This video has Buck's call, then the Jays radio crew then the crazy French call.

https://www.mlb.com/news/vladimir-guerrero-jr-hits-homer-in-montreal/c-269868668

Guerrero - ranked the #3 prospect in all of baseball will start in the minors - but my guess is he ends up with the Jays before the season is over. 

Can't make it to Thursday afternoon's home opener but will be there Friday night. Baseball is back! (Now can winter temperatures kindly leave Southern Ontario). 

Aerial

Yes, always great to see baseball season start again, really gets you thinking about the nice weather to come. My Dad, who was a huge baseball fan, well we liked it when baseball season started again as you could see he got into a better mood.  ;)

Now, on a more repulsive note concerning spring training baseball:   :-*

Sewage leak spills onto field during final spring training game at Dodger Stadium

Spring training came to a repulsive end at Dodger Stadium.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/102683971/sewage-leak-spills-onto-field-during-final-spring-training-game-at-dodger-stadium

Lyle B. Style

Well that was one heck of a way to end spring training!

At least Montreal baseball fans had one of those - 'You've gotta be kidding me!' moments last night practically blowing the roof of the Big Owe when Vladimir Guerrero Jr ends spring training with a 2 out in the bottom of the 9th walk-off home run.

Getting a curtain call from the Montreal crowd who went bonkers.

Buck Martinez even called the shot!  But the TVA French play-by-play guys are over the top.

This video has Buck's call, then the Jays radio crew then the crazy French call.

https://www.mlb.com/news/vladimir-guerrero-jr-hits-homer-in-montreal/c-269868668

Guerrero - ranked the #3 prospect in all of baseball will start in the minors - but my guess is he ends up with the Jays before the season is over.

Can't make it to Thursday afternoon's home opener but will be there Friday night. Baseball is back! (Now can winter temperatures kindly leave Southern Ontario).
Despite what many knowledgeable baseball fans are saying I think its a fairly wise move to depose Guerrero, Jr. to the minors. Eventually, he'll be called up when the gimpy guys start breaking down (Pearce, Tulowiffski, the 2nd baseman, etc.). By that time the Jays will be well down the pike in terms of wildcard positioning - so Guerrero, Jr. will have absolutely NO PRESSURE on him when he finally begins his career as a Blue Jays starter.

If they start the 18/19 yr old tomorrow - then the pressure is way too high. While he's still a top kid on a fairly feeble roster - the roster will fail Vlad vs. Vlad failing the roster.
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

KevinRiley2

$20M/yr Tulo on the 60 Day Disabled list to start the season.  

That's a shame.  :)
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

letsgoticats

That's a shame.  :)
Least surprising news I've heard in a while.  The guy can't stay healthy.  I'd suspect he'll spend the majority of his 3 remaining years here on the DL.

KevinRiley2

Least surprising news I've heard in a while.  The guy can't stay healthy.  I'd suspect he'll spend the majority of his 3 remaining years here on the DL.

ArgoT

Loving the great season opener.
Just a sign of things to come for the year and with  predicted last place finishers.

KevinRiley2

Just a sign of things to come for the year and with  predicted last place finishers.
Yup.

More sad news...

Blue Jays' Gibbons: Donaldson's arm is 'just dead'

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-gibbons-donaldsons-arm-is-just-dead/ar-AAvgBsq?ocid=spartanntp&pfr=1

Hope it doesn't affect his trade value. ;)

letsgoticats

Just a sign of things to come for the year and with  predicted last place finishers.
Who's predicting the Jays to finish last?!

Lyle B. Style

Least surprising news I've heard in a while.  The guy can't stay healthy.  I'd suspect he'll spend the majority of his 3 remaining years here on the DL.
When Tulowhiffskey is healthy he's a liability - when he's on rotating injury lists he's a cost. Either way his contract is a travesty - buy him out, make him a minor league coach or trade the damaged goods.

NOTE TO SELF: There are no takers for a guy like that, absolutely none!!!

Jays got squashed today by the Yankees - BJ's had a grand total of 1 hit going into the 8th inning when Pillar closed his eyes and hit a solo dinger of 6'9", 280 lb. Dylan Bettances. Almost everyone other than Gerry Howarth has written off Tulo - but the bigger problem is now Josh Donaldson - looks like his shoulder is shot - which renders him untradeable, unbearable and another gimpy former superstar trying to hang on to a paycheque!

Lyle B. Style

Yup.

More sad news...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-gibbons-donaldsons-arm-is-just-dead/ar-AAvgBsq?ocid=spartanntp&pfr=1

For Glibby to come out and declare his #1 superstar's arm "dead" is very revealing. Its a clarion call to President/CEO Shapyro to go out and get some ball-players - cut ties with Tulo, trade Donaldson asap.
Shapyro might be forced to roster the baby Jays earlier than I even though - perhaps by Game 30, no later than game 40.
Jays have "bush league" written all over them. From Shapyro on down - Glibby Gibby, 2 deathly injured superstars, Heck, even that oft-injured second baseman has remained upright thru 1 game - that's something!!!

KevinRiley2

If I am Donaldson, I am P.O.'d.  Gibson just killed his chance for a big contract.

Not sure if Donaldson, as a D.H., gets anywhere near as much money as Donaldson at 3B.

KevinRiley2

Yup.

More sad news...

For Glibby to come out and declare his #1 superstar's arm "dead" is very revealing. Its a clarion call to President/CEO Shapyro to go out and get some ball-players - cut ties with Tulo, trade Donaldson asap.
Shapyro might be forced to roster the baby Jays earlier than I even though - perhaps by Game 30, no later than game 40.
They just have "minor league" written all over them. From Shapyro on done - Glibby Gibby, 2 deathly injured superstars, Heck, even that oft-injured second baseman has remained upright thru 1 game - that's something!!!
Re : " trade Donaldson asap."

But what would you get for him?  A bag of balls?  Perhaps someone will need a D.H.?

Anyway, this teams is YEARS and YEARS away from contention - with all these old players and huge contracts weighing them down.

FootbalYouBet

Who's predicting the Jays to finish last?!
wishful thinking by some of us dreamers :)
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

Users Online

72 Guests, 2 Users (13 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Grover, bobo82, Google (13)

Most Online Today: 111. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)