KevinRiley2

As per Stephen Brunt, Rogers will need to sink $500,000,000 into the Rogers Center in the coming years.  Ouch!
That's about 3/4 of the way to a REAL ballpark.

Lipstick; pig.

Skydome will NEVER be a real ballpark, no matter how much $$$ you put into it.
I agree.  If it's me, I spend the extra $250M and build something new/special/nice.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Aerial

It's not given a great rating according to this report:

Rick Zamperin: Rogers Centre is close to being the worst stadium in the majors

https://globalnews.ca/news/4093101/rick-zamperin-rogers-centre-is-close-to-being-the-worst-staiudm-in-the-majors/
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

EastVanMark

It's not given a great rating according to this report:

Rick Zamperin: Rogers Centre is close to being the worst stadium in the majors

https://globalnews.ca/news/4093101/rick-zamperin-rogers-centre-is-close-to-being-the-worst-staiudm-in-the-majors/
I thought that list was rather kind to it. In reality, it's more likely 27thor 28th on that list

Lyle B. Style

Location - location - location

The Rogers Skydome is so convenient - but its deplorably inefficient for CFL football, its barely passable for any pro soccer or playdown soccer events, its passable for major league baseball - given the fact Rogers can now control whatever kind of turf they use - to no advantage of the Jays!

Can't build another outdoor park - too many cancelled & re-scheduled dates in a northern climb

Building another closed dome facility 700 million to 1.25 billion - they'd have to expropriate valuable industrial property on the lakeshore to find anything even close to Skydome.

So no way they build a new facility - unless the NFL decides to move north. That would be the one game-changer!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

Aerial

So no way they build a new facility - unless the NFL decides to move north. That would be the one game-changer!
Possible translation = Rogers sells Blue Jays to someone which includes the RC and uses the money to build an NFL stadium and acquire a team, with co-partners,  as the NFL makes all teams money, every year so eventually a ROI should happen.  ;)

KevinRiley2

Possible translation = Rogers sells Blue Jays to someone which includes the RC and uses the money to build an NFL stadium and acquire a team, with co-partners,  as the NFL makes all teams money, every year so eventually a ROI should happen.  ;)
They will want the next Jays stadium to be baseball only - something traditional, not another concrete monstrosity that houses both.

Plus, a dual stadium would be in the $1,500,000,000 CDN range.

I don't see it. 

KevinRiley2

Not going to happen, my friend.  :)

The Last Word

I will be pleasantly surprised if thrifty Rogers will actually spend $500 million renovating Rogers.  Such a reno would probably be adequate in improving the facility on all levels - event level, lower bowl, club level, 2 suite levels and upper deck with possibly enough left over to to improve the cosmetics of the outside of the building to rid it of the tired concrete look.  Perhaps they put a new siding on the exterior?

Something in the range of $200 - $300 million would be more likely.  Probably enough to improve the Jays locker room facilities; replace all the seating in the building, improve the lower bowl with the addition of club seating and common areas, improved concessions; same on the club level; at suite levels reduce the number of suites as the number they have is obscenely high - something like 150...get that down to 50 - 75 with the others being replaced by club seating, loges, etc; upper deck probably gets crumbs and I wouldn't be surprised if they actually reduce the number of seats up there by a thousand or more.

Even if they did spend $500 million on a retrofit that is still a far cheaper option than building a brand new facility.  A 45,000 retractable roof stadium would cost over $1 billion.  See Texas future stadium as an example.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/arlington/article174610586.html

The Texas Rangers’ new stadium will have a retractable roof, but the baseball team wants fans to feel like they’re still outdoors.
That was the message on Thursday as the club executives and architects provided the first look at the working design for what will be called Globe Life Field, a $1.1 billion stadium expected to open for the 2020 baseball season.
The ballpark will be more intimate than the current Globe Life Park, with seating for about 41,000 instead of 50,000 and putting fans closer to the field. But one of the main goals is to allow for plenty of natural light, even when the retractable roof is closed to keep everyone cool.

The location of Rogers Centre can't be beat either.  Right in the heart of downtown.  A new stadium would likely require a move several kilometres away to an inferior location.  

KevinRiley2

I will be pleasantly surprised if thrifty Rogers will actually spend $500 million renovating Rogers.  Such a reno would probably be adequate in improving the facility on all levels - event level, lower bowl, club level, 2 suite levels and upper deck with possibly enough left over to to improve the cosmetics of the outside of the building to rid it of the tired concrete look.  Perhaps they put a new siding on the exterior?

Something in the range of $200 - $300 million would be more likely.  Probably enough to improve the Jays locker room facilities; replace all the seating in the building, improve the lower bowl with the addition of club seating and common areas, improved concessions; same on the club level; at suite levels reduce the number of suites as the number they have is obscenely high - something like 150...get that down to 50 - 75 with the others being replaced by club seating, loges, etc; upper deck probably gets crumbs and I wouldn't be surprised if they actually reduce the number of seats up there by a thousand or more.

Even if they did spend $500 million on a retrofit that is still a far cheaper option than building a brand new facility.  A 45,000 retractable roof stadium would cost over $1 billion.  See Texas future stadium as an example.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/arlington/article174610586.html

The Texas Rangers’ new stadium will have a retractable roof, but the baseball team wants fans to feel like they’re still outdoors.
That was the message on Thursday as the club executives and architects provided the first look at the working design for what will be called Globe Life Field, a $1.1 billion stadium expected to open for the 2020 baseball season.
The ballpark will be more intimate than the current Globe Life Park, with seating for about 41,000 instead of 50,000 and putting fans closer to the field. But one of the main goals is to allow for plenty of natural light, even when the retractable roof is closed to keep everyone cool.

The location of Rogers Centre can't be beat either.  Right in the heart of downtown.  A new stadium would likely require a move several kilometres away to an inferior location.  
Bob McClown also thought $200M - $300M.

Stephen Brunt says he has it on good authority that Rogers will be spending half a billion.

Either way, cheaper than a new stadium.  Sadly, no matter how much you spend, it is still a concrete dump.

Glad to see the Season Tickets for the Jays have fallen from 20K to 13K.

Where is Patrick when you need him?  ;)

Lyle B. Style

Jays will prolly top end at 13,500 as far as season tickets.

Need Gerry Howarth to pump their tires - when things start to sag - Howarth is great at that - he doesn't care if the team hasn't won in 210 years - he just screams like a banshee about the game in front of him.

Jays are low end MLB vermin - 69 wins at the low end (injuries to key players would enable this) to 76/77 optimum (minimal injuries)

At some point depending how far below .500 they've fallen - and at least 2 months into the season - they'll Pope John Gibbons go.

The Last Word

I will be pleasantly surprised if thrifty Rogers will actually spend $500 million renovating Rogers.  Such a reno would probably be adequate in improving the facility on all levels - event level, lower bowl, club level, 2 suite levels and upper deck with possibly enough left over to to improve the cosmetics of the outside of the building to rid it of the tired concrete look.  Perhaps they put a new siding on the exterior?

Something in the range of $200 - $300 million would be more likely.  Probably enough to improve the Jays locker room facilities; replace all the seating in the building, improve the lower bowl with the addition of club seating and common areas, improved concessions; same on the club level; at suite levels reduce the number of suites as the number they have is obscenely high - something like 150...get that down to 50 - 75 with the others being replaced by club seating, loges, etc; upper deck probably gets crumbs and I wouldn't be surprised if they actually reduce the number of seats up there by a thousand or more.

Even if they did spend $500 million on a retrofit that is still a far cheaper option than building a brand new facility.  A 45,000 retractable roof stadium would cost over $1 billion.  See Texas future stadium as an example.

The location of Rogers Centre can't be beat either.  Right in the heart of downtown.  A new stadium would likely require a move several kilometres away to an inferior location.  
Bob McClown also thought $200M - $300M.

Stephen Brunt says he has it on good authority that Rogers will be spending half a billion.

Either way, cheaper than a new stadium.  Sadly, no matter how much you spend, it is still a concrete dump.

Glad to see the Season Tickets for the Jays have fallen from 20K to 13K.

Where is Patrick when you need him?  ;)
I wonder if that is actual season tickets or season ticket equivalents. ie. 10,000 actual season ticket holders and let's say 1,000 half seasons, 4,000 20-game packs and 8,000 10-game packs = 13,000 season ticket equivalents.

If they have 13,000 actual season ticket holders that is impressive.  There is a bit of a lag between the point a team improves and their attendance improves and of course the same applies to when a team declines and attendance declines.  That is why we saw attendance hold rather well last season despite the club getting off to an awful start and never achieving the .500 mark the entire year.  

I will have to look back at the old thread with regards to my predictions for the Jays' attendance this upcoming season.  I think I predicted a drop to the low 30,000s.  Of course that will depend on how the season goes.  Shatkins has been promoting the idea of fielding a competitive team this year as in competitive enough to compete for the playoffs.  They resorted to bargain basement signings going after the likes of Garcia, Granderson, Solarte  and Grichuk and Diaz.  All below-average players albeit providing slight improvements to the club's depth.

Blue Jays are still old and slow - a contrast to what Shatkins said they would bring to the team back in 2015/16.  If the pitching is healthy for the most part - all of Happ, Estrada, Sanchez and Stroman pitch 27 - 32 starts - the team might have a shot at .500.  The offense still stinks however, and will likely be near the bottom of the league in most categories outside of homeruns.  I think a record of 73 - 75 wins is in the cards.  

Back to the remaining "competitive" Blue Jays under Shatkins/rogers - they have decreased payroll $20 - $25 million while raising season ticket prices between 7 - 17% depending on the seating section...this after increasing  ticket prices an average of 10% in 2016 and 9% in 2017.  I'm sure the prices may play a roll in keeping some away from the ballpark or at least attending fewer games!

Where did you see or hear that 13 K season ticket number Kevin?

KevinRiley2

As per MightyGoose in another thread...

Will be down another 5-10% soon

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/mark-shapiro-blue-jays-prospects-tickets-renovations/

Jays ST base down by about 35%

SN What effect does the secondary market have on the Blue Jays, and is there an impact on sales for this year?
MS The secondary market is a fact, we will always accept and even embrace a piece of that market, but we just wanted to clean that up to some extent. That affects season tickets. When season tickets go from 20,000 to 13,000, you’re going to see a dramatic impact over 81 games. If you still look at our attendance based upon 2015 or 2014 at the start, we’re in good shape. But when you’re looking at our attendance through the window of ’16 and even ’17 because of the tickets that were bought in ’16 for the post-season, we’re stepping back. Last year we didn’t have post-season to sell, so there were no tickets sold in August and September for ’18. All those sales went away.

Aerial

Bottom line is unless the Jays make the post season a few years on end, they will need a new more baseball looking stadium to attract season ticket holders.  I don't think anyone will or can argue with that.

How can the RC be nothing but an old outdated bowl regardless of how much money you put into the place?  Bowls can work in football, but not baseball.  That being said, Blue Jays fans flock to the place so maybe Rogers will get away with this bowl for years, decades to come to be enough branding to justify keeping the joint and the team?  Who knows.   No one can argue the location in downtown Toronto is about as perfect as perfect can be for those that like going down there.

TravelPat1

Depends on just how bad the Jays are this year in terms of how far their attendance drops.  If they struggle from the get go and by late May it is clear they are no where close to contending then they will drop from the 39,554 they averaged in 2017 (4th in MLB) back down to 29,000 range (middle of the pack).

If they surprise and stay in shouting distance of a wildcard into the summer they may stay above the 30,000 mark.

letsgoticats

Jays will prolly top end at 13,500 as far as season tickets.

Need Gerry Howarth to pump their tires - when things start to sag - Howarth is great at that - he doesn't care if the team hasn't won in 210 years - he just screams like a banshee about the game in front of him.

Jays are low end MLB vermin - 69 wins at the low end (injuries to key players would enable this) to 76/77 optimum (minimal injuries)

At some point depending how far below .500 they've fallen - and at least 2 months into the season - they'll Pope John Gibbons go.
Sadly, Jerry retired.  I've don't know how you could describe his style as "screaming like a banshee" though.  I found him incredibly calm behind the mic.  I'd describe him as follksy, quiet, and eternally positive.  Will definitely miss hearing that voice all summer.  

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-broadcaster-jerry-howarth-retires-36-seasons/

Users Online

89 Guests, 2 Users (14 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Grover, bobo82, Google (14)

Most Online Today: 111. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)