Lyle B. Style

Can't believe how many USA reporters like Stephen A. Smith & others are defending Coach Casey - saying it wasn't his fault the Raptors can't stand up to the Cavs (aka Lebron)

Whats up wid dat?

Casey is an average to slightly above average NBA coach. Haven't seen much in the way of innovation - they have enough power and salary strength to subdue many NBA teams, hence the 50+ wins. But everyone knows they're fawns in the hands of bigger/better/stronger/faster teams like Cleveland, Golden State, Houston, couple others. That said Raps are probably the 5th or 6th best team in pro basketball. Nothing to be ashamed about.

The real concern is that Indianapolis took Cleveland to the woodshed and almost eliminated them in the 1st round. That's Indianapolis - a group of NBA hobos if there ever was. Just better coached and better under pressure than Casey's Wrappers. Yes, they succumbed in 7 but the Wrappers, cleaerly superior in the regular season were washed, dried and folded in 4 straight.

Casey is not an exceptional coach. But a decent regular season coach. Wraps will never challenge for an NBA title so long as James is in their conference. Best move for Rogers is to wait and see if Lebron decides to depart for L.A. (50 million a year might do it)
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

Aerial

Congrats to the Raps for an excellent season.  Will Casey get coach of the year and then be fired?  I think he stays, the Cavs were simply a far superior team.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

everyman

Congrats to the Raps for an excellent season.  Will Casey get coach of the year and then be fired?  I think he stays, the Cavs were simply a far superior team.
Yes. The Raps provided a lot of enjoyment for hoop fans across Canada this year.

We are soooo preoccupied with sports becoming a zero sum game -that it's no good unless "we" win it all-that it's taking the fun out of sports.

Teams/players can't lose anymore without it being a choke or someone's "fault", that it's somehow impossible to comprehend that one team always wins and one team always loses. That is the inevitable result of all games. Seems bizarre to me.

Some even go so far to hope for injuries, for a 20 year old to get hurt, or a veteran to never play again because the owner "overpays him", or someone HAS to pay for a loss. 

What has happened to the sports fan?

Someone said to me-You have to realize that these forum folks are not sports fans but rather just "win guys" or just frustrated non writers, who have never really played or enjoyed any sport. Who knows?

KevinRiley2

Embarrassing performance by the Raps tonight.  Gross.  
Soooooooooooo happy.  :)
You got it.....Crappers indeed.
Couldn't have happened to a nicer fan base.  :)
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Vermonter

sambo42

Toronto was never really in this series... LeBron had his way with them, they could not stop him no matter what they tried, they just weren't good enough to beat him. He is a FA, so maybe it would be in the Raptors' interest to sign him, he would elevate them to a new level. The Raptors with James could almost be unstoppable, and give a serious challenge to the GSWs.

Hank01

Looks like RJ Barrett the Canadian who won the US national high school basketball star is being unfairly compared to the next Lebron ( as per the CBC segment) .

Barrett a proud Canadian has a lot of ambition and will be interesting in how he develops but to be putting the label of the next Lebron James is pretty hard shoes to fill . 

Lyle B. Style

Barrett is only 17/18 - he's going to college next year. Certainly has all the ear-marks of being a LeBron Lite or even Duane Wade, Lite but comparing him at such an early age to monsters like LeBron, Shaq, Koby, Wade, Durant, etc. is unfair.

As far as the Raptors crapping out this season, no problem

They provided great regular season entertainment for the southern Ontario fan base. Actually pretty darn great this season in particular.

But they obviously knew they were running into a brick wall - any team with LeBron is kryptonite to them - as the Cavs sported a rather tepid regular season but managed to Hulk Up in playoffs. btw - they were touch 'n go vs. Indiana (4-3) and they'll probably need LeBron to fully out all his super-powers to slither by Boston or Philly.

Against Houston or Golden State - the Cavs will have met their match. Even Super-powered LeBron won't be able to stand up to the multi-dimensional superstar teams that will confront them in the final (if they get there)

Biggest knock on Toronto - they have some pretty great NBA players - but nobody who's a dominant go-to superstar in the like of Jordan, Koby, Shaq, James, Durant, Harden, etc. Super almost always trumps great immo.

Mightygoose

Raptors fire coach Casey

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/report-toronto-raptors-fire-head-coach-dwane-casey/

Making a decision this soon looks like a knee jerk reaction to satisfy the mob until they figure something out.....doesn't seem like they have any answers.

What they need IMO, is convince MLSE to spend some luxury tax money and overpay some FAs here from that know how to win in the post season and add some mental toughness. Whoever today's Oakley is.

They have talent but seem to lack leadership...reminds me of the late 80s to 91 Jays that couldn't get over the jump...added some veterans who knew what it took put them over the top.

Hank01

Raptors fire coach Casey

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/report-toronto-raptors-fire-head-coach-dwane-casey/

Making a decision this soon looks like a knee jerk reaction to satisfy the mob until they figure something out.....doesn't seem like they have any answers.

What they need IMO, is convince MLSE to spend some luxury tax money and overpay some FAs here from that know how to win in the post season and add some mental toughness. Whoever today's Oakley is.

They have talent but seem to lack leadership...reminds me of the late 80s to 91 Jays that couldn't get over the jump...added some veterans who knew what it took put them over the top.
  I always felt the players liked playing for him so maybe this is a start of a bigger plan and move some bodies around as well . 

TravelPat1

I haven't really watched any of the NBA conference finals - but the odd time I have checked in the games have hardly been riveting television. Almost every game a blowout.  

In the East
Game 1 - Boston by 25
Game 2 - Boston by 13
Game 3 - Cleveland by 30
Game 4 - at least somewhat close - Cleveland by 9

In the West
Game 1 - Golden State by 13
Game 2 - Houston by 22
Game 3 - Golden State by 41

Hank01

Lebron has tied Jordan with most 30 point games in the playoffs tonight  109 .

Golden State win in OT . Gutsy effort and major screw up by the Cavs with 4 seconds to play . Most likely would've won in regulation if they throw it up or drive for  the net after getting the rebound from the free throw instead of dribbling away out of the key .

letsgoticats

Lebron has tied Jordan with most 30 point games in the playoffs tonight  109 .

Golden State win in OT . Gutsy effort and major screw up by the Cavs with 4 seconds to play . Most likely would've won in regulation if they throw it up or drive for  the net after getting the rebound from the free throw instead of dribbling away out of the key .
Not knowing the score of the game/time remaining in the game in that situation is an all-time blunder from JR Smith.  That one will be getting played on Sportscentre for years.

Another spectacular game from LeBron, one of the greatest finals performances ever.  Done with blurry vision after getting poked earlier.  The JR play just shows the kind of guys LeBron has had to drag to the finals.  

Aerial

That was too funny, Jack on TSN said something like he probably didn't have a very good grade 7 math teacher, I had to laugh at that one.   :)

What's the movie, Dumb & Dumber.  :-X

Hank01

The SNL send up of the other Cleveland Cavalier players beside Lebron was funny .

Users Online

112 Guests, 21 Users (17 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
tabbiefan72, FootbalYouBet, USfanguy, raymarkca, oo DAWG oo, heapbag, FormerlyTurkish, sherry07033, ExPat, 150GAGE, Hammertown Proud, Blackrussian63, MadJack, Dr.Whiskey, chosa84, RidervilleWelshminstrel, Holy Mackinaw, letsgoticats, Google (AdSense) (10), Google (7)

Most Online Today: 168. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)