sambo42

Two things:

1. NHL expansion draft system works very well. No more duds out of the gate. This isn't a coincidence. It justifies the hefty price the NHL commands of an expansion team.

2. The horrific Vegas shooting galvanized the city and the club.
 There is a lot more to it than that... in an expansion draft, you have to know which players you want to pick, to give your team some kind of identity. McPhee is a very good GM who knew which players he wanted, and how to get a decent team by trading some of those guys that they picked. Like I said before, there is no way an expansion team is going to be that good again. 

Iconic SR

Two things:

1. NHL expansion draft system works very well. No more duds out of the gate. This isn't a coincidence. It justifies the hefty price the NHL commands of an expansion team.

2. The horrific Vegas shooting galvanized the city and the club.
There is a lot more to it than that... in an expansion draft, you have to know which players you want to pick, to give your team some kind of identity. McPhee is a very good GM who knew which players he wanted, and how to get a decent team by trading some of those guys that they picked. Like I said before, there is no way an expansion team is going to be that good again.

I believe we are going to see more of this in pro sports: smart usage of the expansion draft leading to very early success

everyman

Ya. I'm repeating myself but in many ways an expansion team with these kind of drafts is more apt to have success than many long established teams.
-no cap problems
-no poor culture to turn around 
-motivated players, no entitled guys
-long start-up period ( like an authors best book is often their first because they have had their whole life to gather it)
-excited fan base  for a team rather than a cap busting "star"

Find a solid GM to establish the early blueprint. That's a key I guess.

FootbalYouBet

the thing about this instant success is that now fan's expectations are higher.

I cant help but fear how many will dive from the bandwagon when the shine wears off.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

I don't think I am always right, it just keeps turning out that way

oo DAWG oo

I cant help but fear how many will dive from the bandwagon when the shine wears off.
That happens no matter how old the team

Hank01

This is a brilliant clash of players found to play together it is the NHL's version of Money Ball only with a expansion hockey team .

I will return to what it really is a half watered down NHL and half brilliant GM + (staff) .

This is the NEW NHL .

When you see the Senators who came a thin hair from beating out the champs Pittsburgh a year ago and a bust this year you realize this is the new NHL where you go top to bottom or vice versa in one year . Kinda like the CFL .

Redblacks anyone ?

tony

That happens no matter how old the team
And no matter the sport.

FootbalYouBet

I love the bit with the jet

https://www.nhl.com/news/flyover-duel-highlight-pregame-show-before-game-3-in-vegas/c-298653450?tid=297172884

one thing I thought while watching this though was damn camera man, get off the ice

Iconic SR

Can’t see that happening. In Las Vegas there is very very little there that Las Vegans can call their own. The Golden Knights are their own, and as such the local support is passionate and very engaged. The team would not have been viable without local fan support - so the alternate fan interest and revenue from hockey fans outside of Vegas who travel to Sin City and take in a game - is pure gravy.

This early success is also pure gravy. The meat and potatoes is still there regardless. 

Hank01

That Vegas opening of the pregame was pure Las Vegas Style . The theatrics and jets was spectacular .

The Americans know how to put up an amazing show and they can hype something to such a degree you get goosebumps just watching it from home .

FootbalYouBet

stupid camera people should stop walking around on the ice during the anthems.

KevinRiley2

In the past, the best teams had star centers down the middle, one star on D, and a star goaltender - all of which were paid BIG $$$. The rest of the positions were filled with role players.

Vegas has NO stars, it's a team of 2nd round picks, and they dominate.  

Las Vegas could change how teams are built.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Iconic SR

In the past, the best teams had star centers down the middle, one star on D, and a star goaltender - all of which were paid BIG $$$. The rest of the positions were filled with role players.

Vegas has NO stars, it's a team of 2nd round picks, and they dominate.  

Las Vegas could change how teams are built.
I agree. We are witnessing the genesis of change in pro sports team building.

Paolo X

Can’t see that happening. In Las Vegas there is very very little there that Las Vegans can call their own. The Golden Knights are their own, and as such the local support is passionate and very engaged. The team would not have been viable without local fan support - so the alternate fan interest and revenue from hockey fans outside of Vegas who travel to Sin City and take in a game - is pure gravy.

This early success is also pure gravy. The meat and potatoes is still there regardless.
"In Las Vegas there is very very little there that Las Vegans can call their own."

As a former resident of Las Vegas and a place I still call home, this is utter bunk sir. And sure there are fans of hockey fans who travel to take in games, but it's still OUR team.

Las Vegas having much that is truly its own has been true ever since there has been a Las Vegas and well before our new team of course. There's plenty there known only or mostly only to the locals, and I could go on and on with time. Given social media, not as much of what happens there stays there any more, but there's still plenty known to locals only or mostly.

Whether your intention or not, you come off as another ignorant tourist when making claims like that. How would you like someone coming to your town and telling you that they have it all figured out because there is "very little to call your own" there? What a bunch of BS!
Best Regards, Paolo

Paolo X

That Vegas opening of the pregame was pure Las Vegas Style . The theatrics and jets was spectacular .

The Americans know how to put up an amazing show and they can hype something to such a degree you get goosebumps just watching it from home .
That's how we do it in Las Vegas and is something we call our own. The game is a party for us too. How I wish I were there now, but life has taken me elsewhere to prosper (for now).  :D

I'm due for another trip back perhaps next year, which will be the first in six years and I can hardly believe it.

Some things have changed for the worse even since I last visited after leaving in 2008 though, but if a recession is at hand before too long the deals will be back too.

Users Online

125 Guests, 18 Users (25 Spiders, 5 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
TravelPat1, ExPat, Mightygoose, RedandWhite, pdson2, Iconic SR, bwf029, Allek, Augustus67, G Man, KevinRiley2, Killer91, Lyle B. Style, Google (AdSense) (13), Google (12)

Most Online Today: 189. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)