Aerial

Saw this on PBS, wow, I had no idea ESports was this popular, and growing!

ESports mesmerize as traditional sports worry about decline

It's drawn millions of fans, its competitors get paid big money and the Olympics are considering adding it. As an industry, eSports -- professionals playing video games for spectators -- is set to gross nearly $1 billion by the end of 2018.

As traditional sports like baseball and football struggle with stalling viewership and an aging fan base, a new kind of sport has emerged with huge appeal for millions around the world.

Economics correspondent Paul Solman has the story from Austin, Texas, where he went to a three-day event for what’s known as e-sports.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/esports-mesmerize-as-traditional-sports-worry-about-decline
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

DAN38

Geek sports for those who can't.

Have fun ! I find it boring.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

Aerial

But you can be 5'2" and weight 125 lbs and be a champ with money in your pocket from being very good at it.   ;)

DAN38

But you can be 5'2" and weight 125 lbs and be a champ with money in your pocket from being very good at it.   ;)
    Poker now too.
    Midget wrestling.

The best are even smaller than 5'2" and 125 in the world of jockeys. The sport of kings. You need to be able to actually ride a horse, not just push the right button.

sully

I used to watch competitive Starcraft 2 play online; even attended the North American championships when it was held here in Toronto. It was interesting because it's a game I myself played, and - this is key - free to watch. 

One other interesting point is that what these championships often do is provide an announcer-free feed of the game, and you're welcome to re-broadcast it with your own play-by-play over top. As a result you have a ton of choice of "how" you like to hear the game get called. It's an interesting innovation.
I'm the Senior Director of Technology for the Canadian Football League. Got technology concerns/ideas for the league? E-mail me at ssyed@cfl.ca and we'll talk.

DAN38

Free or not, I've got an oak tree in my backyard that I'm watching grow. It's at a crucial stage.

Aerial

One other interesting point is that what these championships often do is provide an announcer-free feed of the game, and you're welcome to re-broadcast it with your own play-by-play over top. As a result you have a ton of choice of "how" you like to hear the game get called. It's an interesting innovation.
I can imagine sully.

rshmglsky

The CFL better get that video game people are always clamoring for ready.

tony

Some "Geeks" as you call them are laughing to the bank. And do not have to worry about concussions and or other injuries.   ;)

rshmglsky

Some "Geeks" as you call them are laughing to the bank. And do not have to worry about concussions and or other injuries.   ;)
Hey, that carpal tunnel can be some very serious stuff.

I don't know how I did it when I was kid. My fingers get tired after ten, twenty minutes of Megaman.

DAN38

Some "Geeks" as you call them are laughing to the bank. And do not have to worry about concussions and or other injuries.   ;)
   Probably don't have to worry about boyfriends and girlfriends either.

I don't care if you would rather sit at a screen instead of real exercise. Diabetes and heart disease love the idle.

PTBO Dave

Depends on who they meet on the way to the bank!

tony

Probably don't have to worry about boyfriends and girlfriends either.

I don't care if you would rather sit at a screen instead of real exercise. Diabetes and heart disease love the idle.
Not just the "Geeks" that fall into this category. 

Aerial

Of course life is about balance, even the most mundane of human beings can watch TV, read a book, sip a coffee, play music or esports and be quite sedentary in lifestyle but still find time to exercise and go for walks, play frisbee or skateboard, whatever.

Multitasking is still possible in this world for those that might think otherwise.  ;)

Iconic SR

You can’t buy self worth.

Users Online

80 Guests, 11 Users (12 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Grover, Mightygoose, chiefdkm, BillyDee87, yougottabekidding, ExPat, schmenger, cheater, Balticfox, VICIOUSCIRCLE, Google (AdSense) (4), Google (8)

Most Online Today: 156. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)