oo DAWG oo

What makes you think AMC would want it ?

If the CFL was more popular and had enough veiwers down here ESPN would move it up to the main channels.

You cannot force it unfortunately it's filler once US football starts up the ratings drop that's why the games get moved online.

rshmglsky

Teams would have to play so many games in so few nights for AMC to want it.

(So they would be playing like zombies out there).

Hank01

If the CFL was more popular and had enough veiwers down here ESPN would move it up to the main channels.

You cannot force it unfortunately it's filler once US football starts up the ratings drop that's why the games get moved online.
  Not sure they would want it at all a better vehicle maybe FXX or paramount TV ( old spike tv ) . I just  know AMC has popular programming like the walking dead or breaking bad but a different network maybe an easier fit or better demographic .

Advertising sometimes can  be pursued and measured benefit for the advertiser thru a double sometimes a triple benefit . This sale allows the CFL to get exposure thru a piggy back . 

I just see it as a really good vehicle for the CFL for US exposure during the months of Sept thru to until the playoffs for at least a game of the week where their is a gap .

I would need to know the audience size for AMC currently for Saturday afternoon rerun of the movie they replay let's say from 3:30 pm EST to 6:30 pm EST .

Then from there I need to know the revenue that AMC receives . This can be used for FX or Paramount .

I then look for a sponsor that would assist in buying not just the the three hours but they also need to buy time advertising the game of the week during AMC's prime time or FX or Paramount etc .

This is where AMC or whoever gets a return as my sponsor advertises there product let's say Tim Horton's or Nissan for a program that is at a higher rate then they also advertise the game of the week . Cfl game is then piggy backed . 

So AMC gets money not just for the Saturday slot they get money for the sponsor for another program let's say for their new original program like The Terror . The sponsor is sold the double exposure of sponsoring The Terror  and the Saturday CFL game .

The three hours for AMC on Saturday is the easy sale . The hardest part for a salesman is to pursue a national advertiser who sees the AMC original programming and the CFL as a worthwhile return or whatever network and whatever demographic that has similar benefit  . 

You can plug in whatever specialty network and whatever programming as long as the audience is similar in scope and this is done with market research . 

This tool is then used to sell advertising for let's say the Shawshank movie being shown on AMC on Wednesday or Cops live or Bar Rescue on Paramount .

Once word is out sufficiently the audience can locate the game possibly without the piggy back and can stand alone but that is after the time slot can replace the current audience dollar for dollar and shows at least a slight growth .

If the number is as low as 75,000 this is not a difficult goal for the CFL to advertise it's product as they now have a footprint in the marketplace not just for recruitment of CFL players but these players are exposed to possible secondary income south for let's say a Manziel or a Flutie of the future that can lend there name thru advertisers .

After seeing CBC's deal with Rogers Hockey the advertising game is not always plainly seen as a benefit from the viewer 's perspective .

Hank01

Teams would have to play so many games in so few nights for AMC to want it.

(So they would be playing like zombies out there).
  The current schedule is not conducive as they are not a regular schedule for this time slot . A Saturday game of the week thru Sept to end of October would all that would be needed . 

It looks like TSN/MLSE  is on board for the Argos at 4pm .

I think a Saturday game at 4pm or 3:30 pm EST would allow all the cities in the CFL to host this game from BC to Halifax .  I then could sell this time to Canadian advertisers or travel centred like Expedia or provincial travel  . I also can sell to US advertisers .

With no US teams it will always be a limited audience . 

AMC I like because of the size of their exposure but this is not the only specialty network out there .

The CFL just needs to have as many diverse sources of exposure and revenue and it's a crime the way they limit themselves with the archaic method they currently use to tap markets for a full return on the product .

Hank01

Currently Halifax is looking at why a stadium is a need and not just a want .

If I can show Halifax they will not only be exposed on TSN from June to November and  ESPN2 from June to August and other US networks from Sep to Aug there is a direct benefit in travel and tourism it makes it's  easier to sell the investment to the tax payer .

If I can get a Manziel type or other US players that there is a potential secondary market in the US for personal revenue and not just Canada  then this expands the talent pool for CFL recruitment .

One only has to look at Nascar they have lost 45 percent of their audience since 2005 yet they are making more money from TV because it can produce a Live event . There is a thirst for live action save the date programming .

ArgoT

I'll certainly look for it ArgoT - curious myself as to what sort of numbers it will get with all the Manziel related hype.

In other ratings news perhaps basketball fans are getting sick of the Cavs and Warriors who are meeting for the fourth consecutive time in the NBA Finals.  Ratings for last night's opener - even though it was an OT tight one - were down 7% from last year's Game 1 and own 10% from 2016's Game One.

Still the 17.4 million average viewers (peaking at 21.7 million late in the game) is nothing to sneeze at.  
TP any numbers for Friday?

Hank01

Yes anything in on the Preseason game from Hamilton . Just wondering as they put the next one on TSN now .

TravelPat1

Can't find any TV numbers for Friday unfortunately - but they must have been OK since TSN just announced that they have added the next Ti-Cats pre-season game to their lineup. TSN1 and 5 plus RDS will now televise the Ti-Cats @ Als pre-season game at Noon this Saturday - a game Manziel is expected to start at QB. 

Apparently the video of Manziel's first drive on Friday night is now the 8th most watched video on TSN's You Tube channel with 735,000 views.  

Mr. Pike

According to 3down nation , 310,0000 average audience for Ham/Tor       305,000 for Sask/Edm     107,000 for Mtl/ Ott     ( does not include RDS.)

TravelPat1

310,000 seems OK but not quite as high as I was hoping. Likely not helped at all with how one sided the score was.

I went back and looked at some previous year's pre-season games and the ratings I could find for preseason games in 2015 and 2016 ranged anywhere from 191,000 all the way up to 535,000 for one Riders- Lions preseason game in 2016.  Couldn't find any ratings for last year's preseaso games. 

So this sort of falls in the middle.  

ArgoT

310,000 seems OK but not quite as high as I was hoping. Likely not helped at all with how one sided the score was.

I went back and looked at some previous year's pre-season games and the ratings I could find for preseason games in 2015 and 2016 ranged anywhere from 191,000 all the way up to 535,000 for one Riders- Lions preseason game in 2016.  Couldn't find any ratings for last year's preseaso games.

It does seem low for TV, what with all of the hype?

alphamale111

It does seem low for TV, what with all of the hype?
Hey! Speaking of ratings... you going to watch the World Cup? Wonder how the rating are going to be with The USA, Netherlands and Italy this year.

TravelPat1

Big finish TV ratings wise for the Stanley Cup on both sides of the border.

In the USA///  http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/06/stanley-cup-final-ratings-game-5-capitals/

The NHL season ended on a high note as the Capitals won their first championship in front of the largest Game 5 audience since 2002.
Thursday’s Capitals-Golden Knights NHL Stanley Cup Final Game 5 delivered a 3.9 rating and 6.6 million viewers on NBC, up 50% in ratings and viewership from Predators-Penguins last year (2.6, 4.38M) and up 30% and 32% respectively from Sharks-Penguins in 2016 (3.0, 5.01M).
Washington’s title-clinching win, which peaked with 9.1 million viewers from 11-11:15 PM ET, had a streaming audience of 124,000 (+100%). Combined across TV and streaming, the game had a combined 6.71 million — up 51% from last year (4.44M) and up 32% from 2016 (5.07M).
Ratings and viewership were the highest for a Game 5 in the Stanley Cup Final since 2002 (Hurricanes-Red Wings: 4.2, 6.8M). The previous highs were a 3.8 and 6.2 million for Penguins-Red Wings in 2008.
Overall, Game 5 delivered the eighth-largest NHL audience since NBC resumed airing games in the 2005-06 season.
And up here...

vampiresquid

Hey! Speaking of ratings... you going to watch the World Cup? Wonder how the rating are going to be with The USA, Netherlands and Italy this year.
USA out is only bad for FOX. For Telemundo in the US which will get more viewers than FOX, they're sitting pretty with a Latin team in each of the groups. They'll do really well if Mexico at least gets to the quarters and a Spanish speaking team makes it at least to semis or final.

Italy out is bad for CTV/TSN. After England, Italian matches tend to get the highest viewers in Canada. Otherwise, they'll likely hoping for Messi & Ronaldo teams along with Brasil to do well. France doing well is good for RDS.

This will be a super sports weekend for TSN with opening days of World Cup, US Open golf and CFL season open.

TravelPat1

World Cup TV ratings will be interesting. Unlike the last World Cup in Brazil which is only an hour different from our ET time zone with at least one game live in prime time ET almost every night - the games this time for the most part will be 7:00AM ET,  10:30AM ET and 1:30PM ET - with most games on weekdays at those times.  

Nothing live in Prime time ET this World Cup

Combine that with some of the missing teams others have mentioned and I would not be shocked to see a fair dip in ratings. 

Keep in mind the ratings for CBC back in 2014 were absolutely boffo for the World Cup.  So it is a high bar.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/worldcup/cbc-fifa-world-cup-watched-by-canadians-in-record-numbers-1.2706905

CBC's FIFA World Cup coverage from Brazil set new records for television and online viewing.
Approximately 30.7 million Canadians tuned in at some point during the month-long tournament from Brazil, which represents 89 per cent of the country's population. Of that total, 6.6 million watched at least part of a game online.
An average of 4.93 million watched on television to see Germany's dramatic 1-0 victory over Argentina in the final Sunday, making it the most watched match of the tournament and the most watched Word Cup final ever, edging the 2010 mark.
Viewership for the final peaked at 7.4 million in the game's final stages, with 11.3 million tuning in at some point during the English-language broadcast.

Users Online

52 Guests, 3 Users (12 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Mightygoose, FormerlyTurkish, Google (AdSense) (2), Google (10)

Most Online Today: 109. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)