alphamale111

rshmglsky

Could easily see only six of these teams starting in 2019.

Halifax and Edmonton still have to build/renovate their stadiums, and I haven't heard where Calgary is supposed to play.

Mightygoose

Halifax is playing in the pop up stadium that was just approved by council so no reason why they wouldn't be ready next April.

Curious to see a) where Calgary will play and b) who is owning them. If it's CSEC, then I wonder if another tenant will help the cause for a new stadium or even justify CalgaryNext if them and the city restart talks,

BC, I assume would be in a Fraser Valley or just outside of Vancouver.

rshmglsky

Looks like Clarke stadium is out in Edmonton as the Eskimos have a multi-year deal at the stadium.

The soccer side is now looking at a baseball stadium, which seats around 10,000.

rshmglsky

Calgary's CanPL team is confirmed to play at Spruce Meadows.

I found this on twitter and just had to share.

https://twitter.com/YegRoofs/status/993611886720499713

Aerial

So what happens when/if a CPL team beats a Canadian MLS team in a friendly or whatever type of match soccer does for these sorts of games?  Does that mean all heck breaks loose on the soccer scene in Canada or does the MLS team just make an excuse that they didn't play their best players or if they did they told their best players to just take it easy sort of thing?  I don't understand these things so someone soccer-knowledgeable please inform me if you will.

:-*
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

letsgoticats

So what happens when/if a CPL team beats a Canadian MLS team in a friendly or whatever type of match soccer does for these sorts of games?  Does that mean all heck breaks loose on the soccer scene in Canada or does the MLS team just make an excuse that they didn't play their best players or if they did they told their best players to just take it easy sort of thing?  I don't understand these things so someone soccer-knowledgeable please inform me if you will.

It happens.  TFC lost to Ottawa last year.  Not really a big deal.

http://ottawasun.com/2017/05/23/fury-fc-shocks-tfc-in-first-leg/wcm/d420831a-edf3-4c3b-a546-3c16148fe1ec

Hank01

It happens.  TFC lost to Ottawa last year.  Not really a big deal.

http://ottawasun.com/2017/05/23/fury-fc-shocks-tfc-in-first-leg/wcm/d420831a-edf3-4c3b-a546-3c16148fe1ec
 I expect in a few years the CPL will be able to compete for the national title and be able to represent Canada in Champions League Play downs . 

Looking forward to having another Canadian League to follow .

oo DAWG oo

then the fans of the CPL will think that they have the best players in the world and that noone could beat them or even make the team in Canadian style soccer ... ;D ;D

Aerial

Hmmm, sounds a bit like if a CFL team beat an NFL team in that case.  ;)

PTBO Dave

Calgary's CanPL team is confirmed to play at Spruce Meadows.

I found this on twitter and just had to share.

https://twitter.com/YegRoofs/status/993611886720499713
Interesting choice of venue . . . but I worry that it's too far south for most to bother venturing too. Time will tell.

Mightygoose

York 9 FC officially launched

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/hall-famer-jim-brennan-help-lead-york-team-cpl/

Will start playing at York University to start...on turf for that matter and plan on building a 12-15K seat stadium down the road.

I thought they were going to play at the Ontario Soccer Centre in Vaughn.

Hope it does well.

PTBO Dave

Will start playing at York University to start...on turf for that matter and plan on building a 12-15K seat stadium down the road.

In that case, let me officially be the first to suggest they build a 20,000-seat stadium so the York 12 can join the CFL as natural cross-town rivals for the Argos!  :D

TravelPat1

Happens quite often in other countries Earl.  In England the FA Cup competition often has Premier League teams upset by teams from one or two divisions below and yes it can be in part at least  because the best players on the roster of the Premier League team don't start in those games - as they are being rssted for League games or UEFA games.

Users Online

52 Guests, 7 Users (7 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
ExPat, raymarkca, Count Floyd, SeaFiddle, Iconic SR, Sidney, Google (AdSense) (3), Google (4)

Most Online Today: 154. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)