rshmglsky

Well, good luck to them. Soccer's not my thing, except for the annual watch England fail at the World Cup/Euro. Football and soccer really don't mix.

Hank01

The CPL will help the CFL in needed infrastructure for stadium builds . 

I wish it the best for Canadian international play in the future and because it will help the CFL in the end and the CFL will help the CPL .

letsgoticats

The CPL team in Hamilton is rumored to be called "Founders FC", which in my opinion might take the title for worst team name in North America.

I heard that it was in reference to how they are the founding franchise of the league, and also a play on the foundries and industrial heritage of Hamilton.   

I'm really, really hoping the rumors are wrong.  

oo DAWG oo

The CPL team in Hamilton is rumored to be called "Founders FC", which in my opinion might take the title for worst team name in North America.

I heard that it was in reference to how they are the founding franchise of the league, and also a play on the foundries and industrial heritage of Hamilton.  

Wow....ya..
That would be a terrible name.

TravelPat1

Ditto! Terrible name.

Mightygoose

I hope that name is wrong too. I thought they able to trademark Steelers FC.

That would at least the in with the old CSL squad.

Aerial

It's better than a total non-descript name like Toronto FC.  That's brutal.  About as much originality as an amoeba.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

rshmglsky

Wow....ya..
That would be a terrible name.
The York 9 is an awesome name.

rshmglsky

I wish it the best for Canadian international play in the future and because it will help the CFL in the end and the CFL will help the CPL .
Where?

Halifax is getting a temporary popup stadium that only sits 7000. 

For soccer you only need a grass field and some fans.

If it's for getting extra dates at CFL stadiums, we're talking about less than 4000 fans per game in some markets.

Mightygoose

Where?

Halifax is getting a temporary popup stadium that only sits 7000.

For soccer you only need a grass field and some fans.

If it's for getting extra dates at CFL stadiums, we're talking about less than 4000 fans per game in some markets.

For Halifax, if the CPL team is included in planned stadium along with 15 or so dates they bring, it will be easier to justify the use of public funds that just the CFL alone.

There would likely need community use on top of the professional dates as well but the more uses the better.

If the model works in Halifax, the template could be used for the future CPL/non-CFL market.

Aerial

Yes, to more easily justify use of public funds, the extra dates soccer provides is crucial and as well, you can talk about going for some sort of amateur soccer tournament where soccer has more than football.  

rshmglsky

My understanding is the wanderers stadium will become permanent if it works out. 

Apparently the goal of the league is to average 10-12k fans per game. Certainly too low for the CFL.

The popup stadium will serve on a trial basic for the next 3-4 years so unless you're thinking long term...

Hank01

My understanding is the wanderers stadium will become permanent if it works out.

Apparently the goal of the league is to average 10-12k fans per game. Certainly too low for the CFL.

The popup stadium will serve on a trial basic for the next 3-4 years so unless you're thinking long term...
 You are right about the crowd sizes but  the CPL is a CFL driven league mainly by the Bombers and Ti-Cats where do you think the Halifax team will play permanently ?

The owner of the Wanderers isn't actually very CFL friendly so I get where you are coming from but I doubt the pop up stadium will become permanent when a CFL sized stadium maybe ready to go . 

They probably see this popup stadium as something good for now and it will drive interest in actually building something permanent and suitable for multi use .

They will move to the new styled CFL stadium if it actually happens in Halifax and it will be CPL/CFL cooperative if it doesn't you might see the pop up stadium becoming permanent .

rshmglsky

I think it will be a mistake for the soccer side to play in a half empty football stadium. There's just not enough of a market for it. Otherwise, we would already have a national soccer league in Canada today. Instead we have hockey.

People can say with more and more immigrants coming soccer is the future, but they've always been coming and hockey is still king in this country. It's just more entertaining, where you don't need to sing and dance to fool yourself into thinking your having a good time.

But yes it's hard to say without a crystal ball if the popup stadium will eventually evolve into something permanent or they will end up moving into a stadium with the CFL.

Can't speak on the CFL connections as I'm not sure the money is coming from them as much as originally was.

Mightygoose

Each market will be different. With Hamilton and Winnipeg, the CFL club will either own or partner with the CPL team. Ottawa is already under the same ownership though they currently play in the USL.

If the soccer team is in a CFL type stadium, as long they only sell the lower bowl or perhaps just one side as they already too in Ottawa then they can have some scarcity.

With Halifax, they'll be different ownership groups so it could be a challenge so to me it comes down to how good of a plan the Maritime Football group has. If they city and perhaps province is happy with it, they'll likely want the CPL team there too. The CPL guys would have access to premium seats, suites better concessions etc...that would generate better revenue than a pop-up stadium.

Users Online

84 Guests, 15 Users (11 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
mycko75, papazoola, Grover, StampsRock!, SeaFiddle, MtnCat, MrLucky, Lyle B. Style, Sidney, J5V, ExPat, raymarkca, Google (AdSense) (6), Google (5)

Most Online Today: 154. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)