RedandWhite

...I can assure you no one is being neglected to push an Olympic bid agenda...our priorities are straight, no need to worry...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

The Last Word

I'm sure the Pan Am Games lined the pockets of many individuals.  

As for the Calgary Winter Olympics, even if they try to scale backs costs thanks in part to current infrastructure, much of that is dated and will need to be updated or outright replaced.  The winter Olympics have also doubled in size since they last were in Calgary so the following will be needed.

1. 2 arenas for men's and women's hockey - Calgary would need a new arena ($500 million) and a secondary smaller arena ...instead of spending money on a 5 - 7000 seater possibly use Red Deer's

2. another arena for figure skating and short track speed skating (Saddledome with some minor renos)

3. speed skating oval - Calgary has this but not sure what the cost of upgrades would be to meet Olympic standards

4. curling will require either a new building or current large rec centre of some kind - not sure of cost

5. Ski jumps - I heard the old ones are not up to current standards.  If that is the case, it will probably cost a few hundred million to replace them and contour the landing slopes accordingly

6 bobsled/luge - again I have heard the old track is outdated and need to be replaced.  Probably looking at $100 - $200 million for that

7. freestyle skiing/snowboarding/downhill skiing/cross country/biathalon - not sure what the current facilities would require in terms of upgrades but factoring in rental of things like temp stands and improvements it will easily be hundreds of millions

8. Stadium for opening and closing ceremonies - probably 100 - 200 million spent to refurbish and temporarily expand McMahon

9. 2 Olympic Villages - one in Calgary and one in the Mountains - probably $500 million to $1 billion.  Some of the cost will be with converting them into suitable residents or something else afterwards.  They will recover some of the expenses afterwards with the conversion and sale of the units.

10. Security - modest estimate would be $1 billion

11. new transit and road infrastructure - probably easily in excess of a $1 billion.  In fairness, some of this would be needed anyways.  With federal money flowing into these projects it moves up the timeline for building it.

I'm sure there is more that I am forgetting, but I'm sure the total cost will be in excess of $4 - $5 billion.  I would guess Calgary and Alberta will be stuck with at least 2/3s of the bill.

Aerial

...I can assure you no one is being neglected to push an Olympic bid agenda...our priorities are straight, no need to worry...
No one is being neglected, well then that's fantastic R&W, go for it in that case.  Hopefully you folks out there won't get stuck with a bill, as Last Word indicates,  that could cost you valuable improvements to your education, hospitals, roads, social services etc.  I don't know.   Only you guys know out there if it makes sense, or not.    :-\
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

btharner

I find it laughable when people say the money spent on such events would be better off being used for schools, hospitals, roads, social services, etc. The city decides against bidding and, years later, people are complaining about a lack of money for such things, so the money never went there in the first place.

KevinRiley2

I'm sure the Pan Am Games lined the pockets of many individuals.  

As for the Calgary Winter Olympics, even if they try to scale backs costs thanks in part to current infrastructure, much of that is dated and will need to be updated or outright replaced.  The winter Olympics have also doubled in size since they last were in Calgary so the following will be needed.

1. 2 arenas for men's and women's hockey - Calgary would need a new arena ($500 million) and a secondary smaller arena ...instead of spending money on a 5 - 7000 seater possibly use Red Deer's

2. another arena for figure skating and short track speed skating (Saddledome with some minor renos)

3. speed skating oval - Calgary has this but not sure what the cost of upgrades would be to meet Olympic standards

4. curling will require either a new building or current large rec centre of some kind - not sure of cost

5. Ski jumps - I heard the old ones are not up to current standards.  If that is the case, it will probably cost a few hundred million to replace them and contour the landing slopes accordingly

6 bobsled/luge - again I have heard the old track is outdated and need to be replaced.  Probably looking at $100 - $200 million for that

7. freestyle skiing/snowboarding/downhill skiing/cross country/biathalon - not sure what the current facilities would require in terms of upgrades but factoring in rental of things like temp stands and improvements it will easily be hundreds of millions

8. Stadium for opening and closing ceremonies - probably 100 - 200 million spent to refurbish and temporarily expand McMahon

9. 2 Olympic Villages - one in Calgary and one in the Mountains - probably $500 million to $1 billion.  Some of the cost will be with converting them into suitable residents or something else afterwards.  They will recover some of the expenses afterwards with the conversion and sale of the units.

10. Security - modest estimate would be $1 billion

11. new transit and road infrastructure - probably easily in excess of a $1 billion.  In fairness, some of this would be needed anyways.  With federal money flowing into these projects it moves up the timeline for building it.

I'm sure there is more that I am forgetting, but I'm sure the total cost will be in excess of $4 - $5 billion.  I would guess Calgary and Alberta will be stuck with at least 2/3s of the bill.
Re : "8. Stadium for opening and closing ceremonies - probably 100 - 200 million spent to refurbish and temporarily expand McMahon"

Bump it to $250M, tear McMahon down, and start fresh.  
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

sambo42

If it means a new stadium for the Stampeders, I'm all for it!!!

LOVE the Winter Olympics.
NO PUBLIC MONEY FOR STADIUMS !!!!!
;D
 Tell that the provincial gov't in Sask... they were the ones who funded the new Mosaic in Regina.

KevinRiley2

If it means a new stadium for the Stampeders, I'm all for it!!!

LOVE the Winter Olympics.
;D
Tell that the provincial gov't in Sask... they were the ones who funded the new Mosaic in Regina.
Well, it's too late for Mosaic, Tim Hortons Field, BC Place, Percival Molson Memorial Stadium, or TD Field in Ottawa, BUT(!), going forward,...

Aerial

At least with CFL stadiums and CFL teams and other Canadian leagues and sports and stadiums/arenas with Canadian leagues, the money is being used as "Canadian" rather than Olympics and World Cup where a substantial amount goes to line the pockets of foreigners that  are members of the IOC and World Cup committees.  HUGE dfifference.

Mightygoose

At least with CFL stadiums and CFL teams and other Canadian leagues and sports and stadiums/arenas with Canadian leagues, the money is being used as "Canadian" rather than Olympics and World Cup where a substantial amount goes to line the pockets of foreigners that  are members of the IOC and World Cup committees.  HUGE dfifference.
And many stadiums in the CFL past and present were built or renovated in conjunction with an IOC, FIFA or similar type organization.

BC: Empire Stadium was built for the 1954 games of the same name. No BC Lion's without them.

Calgary: McMahon received renovations for 1988 winter games and possibly for 2026 too.

Edmonton: Commonwealth Stadium was built for the 1978 games.

Hamilton: THF was built for the 2015 Pan Am games. Ivor Wynn Stadium was built for the 1930 games of the same name. No Ti-Cats without one if not both of then.

Toronto: BMO Field was built for the 2007 U 20 World Cup. A FIFA Event. MLSE paid to upgrade it to current MLS and CFL standards over the years.

Winnipeg hosting the Pan Am games of 1967 and 1999 saw major ugrades and expansion to the old Winnipeg Stadium.

If Halifax would have followed through with the 2014 Commonwealth games, they would have a stadium alrwady and very likley a CFL team by now

Right there there are stadiums built/renovated in over half of the current markets built with funds that lined up these other comittees.

Aerial

True enough Mighty.

RedandWhite

...interesting poll on what Calgarians think about hosting the Olympics, pretty much everyone wants it, no one wants to pay for it...typical...

https://globalnews.ca/news/4114101/calgary-olympic-bid-costs-poll/

Mightygoose

Yep. No surprise at all.

I think city officials, the bid committee and the IOC will help design the question in the Plebiscite to get the answers they want to have in order to move the bid forward.

EastVanMark

I find it laughable when people say the money spent on such events would be better off being used for schools, hospitals, roads, social services, etc. The city decides against bidding and, years later, people are complaining about a lack of money for such things, so the money never went there in the first place.
Agreed.

When Vancouver hosted the Olympics, there were some people who preaching that the money should go to healthcare or education instead of sports.

What they didn't realize is that the federal government was offering money to pursue the games; nothing else. So its not like we had a choice in what we would use the money for. Either we chose to stage the games, or that "free" money disappeared forever.

And if you think that the government would instead put that money towards education or healthcare guess again. It will probably go to some other wasteful pet government pet project that will squander the funds anyways. At least this way we get something  out of the deal

Aerial

btharner wrote:

But it doesn't make the argument laughable or as simply "cut and dry" as you say and allude to, what it does is make the discussion on how public funds are used in this country DISCUSSABLE.  Laughable with discussing how public funds, regardless on government level, doesn't apply in my books unless you couldn't care less how public funds are used in this country.    

Maybe I'm missing something though.  You tell me???

btharner

It is laughable that people actually are so naive to believe that those funds would actually be used in such a manner. Where I come from, my tax dollars are usually squandered on pay raises for cronies and attorney's fees caused by a never-ending cycle of litigation caused by a group of county commissioners and city council members whose every decision seems to end up in a lawsuit. Meanwhile, our streets are laden with potholes, our downtown is a bunch of vacant storefronts, and drug dealers run amok with impunity. Excuse me if I am a little cynical, but if it's like this in a small size city like mine, then just how bad is it in a larger metropolis. 

Users Online

80 Guests, 2 Users (14 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
72er, Grover, Google (14)

Most Online Today: 111. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)