FootbalYouBet

Best game so far not even part of the main draw - the play-in match where McEwen needed 11 ends to subdue his prey - the former wild-man of Manitoba curling, Jason "Gunner" Gunnlaugson - and a steal nonetheless!
I miss the women!!!!  :(
I always miss my woman :)

you can have the rest
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

it is not how much you love but how well you love

why be part of the solution when you can be part of the problem

Lyle B. Style

The only mystery surrounding the 2018 Brier in Regina is who will finish 2nd.

Pretty much obvious that Brad Gushue and his Newfoundland Goo Goo Dolls are far and away the class of the field.

Exterminated Magic Mike McEwen like there was no tomorrow last nite.

Goo is such a master chess player when it comes to rock positioning. Little things count in big curling events - this guy (and his team) do so many little things right!

Just a matter of selecting his victim for Sunday's Brier finale!

McEwen? Baldy Carruthers? Gang-Banger Jacobs? Dunstone the Manitoban tossing 4th stone for Sask'n? Long John Eppng (Ontario)?
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

KevinRiley2

After a poor night, Jennifer Jones just had a strong 7th end.

Tied 4-4, vs the Swiss, going into the 8th.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

KevinRiley2

Wonder if Rachel Homan is watching?

Pretty Little Kaitlyn Lawes tripped her teammate, Dawn McEwen (you'd have to see it), and Switzerland could have taken advantage of the situation, but they were good sports and did the right thing.

Let's hope Karma smiles on Switzerland - after tonight, of course.  ;)

Lyle B. Style

Pretty Little Kaitlyn Lawes tripped her teammate, Dawn McEwen (you'd have to see it), and Switzerland could have taken advantage of the situation, but they were good sports and did the right thing.

Bini Feltscher, the happy-go-lucky Switzerland skip is a credit to the sport of curling. Jones even refers to the swiss team as "good girls" and Jones rarely, if ever acknowledges there's another team on the ice.

Jones was suitably miffed by the ice conditions today. She heard somewhere that if you come out of the gate like a rocket - you end up referred to as "a rabbit" ---- just had an amazing miss in the first game when she was up 6-0 on the fawns from Czecholovakia and barfed up a 3-spot - with Kelly Scott type weight (barely into the house on a takeout)

Jones was however emboldened enough by a big lead in her first win (of 2 today) to insert her spare Shannon Birchard into the fray - and Birchard decided to make a big splash (figuratively) by wiping out on her first delivery (still made the shot btw)

KevinRiley2

Jones was however emboldened enough by a big lead in her first win (of 2 today) to insert her spare Shannon Birchard into the fray - and Birchard decided to make a big splash (figuratively) by wiping out on her first delivery (still made the shot btw)
Who did S.B. replace?

Who will replace Jill Officer after this tournament?

Any idea how long Officer will be gone?

Edit :

Officer will be replaced by Jocelyn Peterman.

Officer will remain as the team's alternate.  Not sure why, if she's staying on the team, she doesn't stay as the team's second.

Lyle B. Style

Who did S.B. replace?

Who will replace Jill Officer after this tournament?

Any idea how long Officer will be gone?

Edit :

Officer will be replaced by Jocelyn Peterman.

Officer will remain as the team's alternate.  Not sure why, if she's staying on the team, she doesn't stay as the team's second.
Joss Peterman from Alberta will be moving to Manitoba to take on the 2nd spot w/ Officer moving into the press box but still acting as Team Lieutenant.
Peterman is one of, if not the best available 2nd in the country. JoJo Courtney (the bandana-wearing gal who plays 2nd for Homan and looks like she's capable of tearing Ronda Rousey in half) is often touted as the best - she's only 5'6" or 5'7" but a well-proportioned 155 to 160 lbs. and easily the best and most powerful brusher in women's curling - Officer might be a distant second (Jill is 5'10" and probably tips in at 165/170).
Note: Birchard is only 23/24 but she defies the frail skip model - she's almost as tall as Officer (maybe 5'8" or 5'9") but she's NOT rail thin. Surprised at how strong she actually looks on the ice - she'll do very well on that new Manitoba team that features Nose-Ring Einarson at skip, Nail-Bitin' Val Sweeting at 3rd, Birchard at 2nd. If she continues progressing physically she might even be able to stand up to Jo Courtney - Homan's monster 2nd.

Lyle B. Style

Jones is co-favourite in North Bay but the obvious favourite is the athletic and hot-shooting Swedish girls.

In prior years Sweden would send a group of out of shape girls who couldn't compete in downhill skiing or ice hockey or pro golf....

Hasselborg had a rough entry into pro curling - reputation as a late end choker but her Olympic win seems to have emboldened her.

Jones, at 44 is not the Jennifer Jones of 33 to 40 - she can (and usually is) an erratic performer who routinely throws away a batch of shots almost every outing.

She's slow to catch onto changing ice conditions.

Should easily qualify for final 6 . . . . . but if she doesn't capture one of the Top 2 spots (auto entry in semi-finals) she could be a playoff casualty.

The race for the Top 2 - easy, book Sweden one of those spots now - then see Korea, Canada & perhaps the newly infused USA (Jamie Sinclair) race for #2, outside chance Bini Feltscher gets her act together and puts together a nice run.

KevinRiley2

Jones is co-favourite in North Bay but the obvious favourite is the athletic and hot-shooting Swedish girls.

In prior years Sweden would send a group of out of shape girls who couldn't compete in downhill skiing or ice hockey or pro golf....

Hasselborg had a rough entry into pro curling - reputation as a late end choker but her Olympic win seems to have emboldened her.

Jones, at 44 is not the Jennifer Jones of 33 to 40 - she can (and usually is) an errati performer who routinely throws away a batch of shots in almost every game.

She's slow to catch onto changing ice conditions.

Should easily qualify for final 6 . . . . . but if she doesn't capture one of the Top 2 spots (auto entry in semi-finals) she could be a playoff casualty.

The race for the Top 2 - easy, book Sweden one of those spots now - then see Korea, Canada & perhaps the newly infused USA (Jamie Sinclair) race for #2, outside chance Bini Feltscher gets her act together and puts together a nice run.
I know you are a huge fan, so forgive me, but Jones needs to be better than she was last night.

Hasselborg is different looking, yet somehow cute.

I am disappointed Jill Officer has decided to walk away.

Re : "Jamie Sinclair"

Traitor!!!!

Re : "Jill is 5'10" and probably tips in at 165/170"

Ms. Officer is proof that you don't have to be stick thin to have a wonder figure.  

FootbalYouBet

Ms. Officer is proof that you don't have to be stick thin to have a wonder figure.  
I have never liked twiggies.  Give me voluptuous any day.

Lyle B. Style

Officer Jill is another curler (Jo Courtney being first) who could easily tear Ronda Rousey in half . . . . . no secret - Rousey does not possess a ton of strength. Her game was all talk and the ability to hook vicious arm-bars on stunned opponents. Basically all Rousey could do - she couldn't box, wasn't a particularly gifted ground 'n pound wrestler. Just an all around all-American fraud!

KevinRiley2

I have never liked twiggies.  Give me voluptuous any day.
Amen, brother.

KevinRiley2

P.L.K.L. is wearing her hair straight back - my favourite look.

She and Jill Officer have been 93%.  WOW!

They should handle Germany with ease...  hopefully!  :)

sambo42

She and Jill Officer have been 93%.  WOW!

They should handle Germany with ease...  hopefully!  :)
 I was a fan of Homan's... but after their Olympic display it was a total letdown... their poor play, poor attitude and overall vibe of hostility that is very disappointing, I thought they would have represented Canada better. I'm not a big fan of Jones either, but I will cheer them on to victory this week. At least TSN is doing the coverage, they are far better than the dull SN crew, they can cure your insomnia. 

Lyle B. Style

She and Jill Officer have been 93%.  WOW!

They should handle Germany with ease...  hopefully!  :)
Still depends on how many shots Jones decides she wants to miss . . . .

Jones has to bank as many wins as she can - to protect a late round slump. Her track record in world championships is very spotty but this is the first one she has PLKL as her vice.

Jones is almost too aware of "winning streaks" and how they're made to be broken. She should be more like Gushue, Lawes, Koe, Hasselborg - just go out there and curl yer ass off . . . let the chips fall....

Users Online

96 Guests, 18 Users (21 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Balticfox, FootbalYouBet, TravelPat1, sth1988, rshmglsky, VICIOUSCIRCLE, P-Cat, Hammertown Proud, Wildcat42, prairiewolf77, forgottenrebel, JimmytheGreek, mycko75, alphamale111, RedandWhite, Dr.Whiskey, ExPat, Google (AdSense) (9), Google (12)

Most Online Today: 187. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)