TravelPat1

To me the disappointment in our curling results were not so much that they lost - it is HOW they lost - playing well below their usual standard of play in multiple games. 

Palmer

To me the disappointment in our curling results were not so much that they lost - it is HOW they lost - playing well below their usual standard of play in multiple games.
The rest of the Olympic qualifiers have caught up to Canada in their calibre of play.  Doesn't seem to be those "easy" games any more.  A bad game or a strugging player, and pretty well any team can beat us.  Couple of bad days, couple of player struggles and it's the 2018 Olympics down the tube.

RedandWhite

...thanks Palmer, that was the point I was trying to make, the rest of the world has put forward very good competitors now and we shouldn't feel we should own the podium on them anymore...second to that was I was pondering why some fans didn't see that coming and why it's such a shock...it is a level rink now...

...here's a question for the avid followers of curling....a lot of the discussions here on the women's team revolved not so much around their play but their playing style, and how it maybe didn't fit in with this tournament..in the future should the playoff to determine who goes to represent Canada expand beyond simply the winner of the qualifying tournament to include some sort of other criteria?...could Canada have sent another team who might have handled the Olympics better who were equally good curlers...just asking, have no idea how that decision would be handled...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

Lyle B. Style

...thanks Palmer, that was the point I was trying to make, the rest of the world has put forward very good competitors now and we shouldn't feel we should own the podium on them anymore...second to that was I was pondering why some fans didn't see that coming and why it's such a shock...it is a level rink now...

...here's a question for the avid followers of curling....a lot of the discussions here on the women's team revolved not so much around their play but their playing style, and how it maybe didn't fit in with this tournament..in the future should the playoff to determine who goes to represent Canada expand beyond simply the winner of the qualifying tournament to include some sort of other criteria?...could Canada have sent another team who might have handled the Olympics better who were equally good curlers...just asking, have no idea how that decision would be handled...
Russia sent Miss Moisseva this year instead of the elegantly dour Anna Sidorova. Moisseva one only a couple games - the dour Sidorova usually contended for a playoff spot - but bowed out when the pressure torqued up. Sidorova usually won 5 or 6 games on her way in and out of the playoffs.

Russian curling officials were worried about her poor results - so they got Moisseva to win a best of 7 series to get to the Olympic event. Once Sidorova realized she was being punished by Russian curling oligarchs she went sour and bowed out.
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

sambo42

My take on it is that Homan could have easily won this tournament... I'm not sure what happened between the Olympic trials and the games, but I believe there were more "trials" after she had won the qualifier... they did have a players only meeting after going 0-3, so I think there is something going on that we don't know about. It would not surprise me to see Homan leaving the team, or the team breaking up at some point, something just seemed off, they certainly didn't have their minds on the task at hand, I don't think even a different coach could have stopped the trainwreck.

Lyle B. Style

Canada now has 29 medals with a gold in snowboard tonite from Quebec's Toutant. . . . . could very well finish 2nd overall - even though Germany will be close with a guaranteed silver in hockey tomorrow . . . .

Canada no guarantee whatsoever for the bronze in hockey, albeit with all the spindle biffs they've got on board - and if Poulin continues to be bothered by nerves.

Nearly 30 medals - and to think it was done with nothing to show in mens and womens curling;

a semi-guaranteed medal in womens hockey and

distinct possibility of no medal in mens hockey!!!

Lyle B. Style

The American Heavy Boyz - skipped by John Shuster are now Olympic champions - eviscerating the favored Swedish group skipped by Nik Edin 10-7; scoring a fat 5-ender in the 8th end

CONGRATS TO THE HEAVY BOYZ - wonder how fast they'll be scooped up by American late-nite TV hosts?

Nervous Jimmy (Fallon) should be able to get them first as Olympics were broadcast on NBC . . . . . . but Jiminy Kimmel & his sidekick should get the most out of them - perhaps going for a curling lesson on LA ice??

tony

The rest of the Olympic qualifiers have caught up to Canada in their calibre of play.  Doesn't seem to be those "easy" games any more.  A bad game or a strugging player, and pretty well any team can beat us.  Couple of bad days, couple of player struggles and it's the 2018 Olympics down the tube.
A little "humble" pie never hurt anyone. Canada was accustomed to "owning" the podium when it came to curling

Twenty years ago the Koreans were not even in the tournament. 

Read somewhere that other countries are spending hours every day training. Not sure if Canada is doing the same or not? 

Maybe this will be Canada's wake up call if they wish to be at the top next Olympics.

Hank01

It is good for the sport of curling that other countries have victories .

The US team is getting good coverage of their gold medal win . They were true underdogs and the US loves a good underdog story .

Aerial

Agree, good to see other countries stepping up their game.  No question.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

ArgoT

Looking forward to the start of the Brier this weekend.
In fact there is the new format also like the women's Scotties with the wild card team as well.
Team Gushue is the favourite going in.

Lyle B. Style

Brier Favorites:

1 - Team Goofoundland - B. Gushue - the most versatile and well-prepared team in Canada, including Kevin Koe's Stopwatch Gang; Gushue will torment everyone with his incredible rock positioning, forcing opponents to try 1/16th slithers and double raise taps. No question he's the big favorite as Team Canada

2. The Jacobs Gang - as brutal and forthright a group of young monsters as the game has ever seen; they're brash, they're mouthy - but they make a ton of shots. They're the ones Gushue has to worry about most.

3. Team Carruthers - The Quiet Men - great 3rd in Bray Moskowy, solid front end, very well versed skip in Reid Carruthers; not quite on the level of Gushue and Jacobs.

4. Mike McEwen - Mike & The Mechanix - great shot pelters but McEwen might still be feeling lingering effects of Chickenpox which hospitalized him during portions of Manitoba playdowns. Average rock positioning will be their undoing.

5. The Outsiders - John Epping, Ontario; Steve laycock (SK), Brandon Botcher (AB) only others with a legit shot.

sambo42

I'm finding that the Brier has been a non-event so far... last night the games were all blowouts... maybe that will change when NFLD plays Team Canada, an all Newfie matchup, or when the Wild Card team faces Manitoba... but if I'm correct, they are in different pools for now. 

Lyle B. Style

Best game so far not even part of the main draw - the play-in match where McEwen needed 11 ends to subdue his prey - the former wild-man of Manitoba curling, Jason "Gunner" Gunnlaugson - and a steal nonetheless!

KevinRiley2

Best game so far not even part of the main draw - the play-in match where McEwen needed 11 ends to subdue his prey - the former wild-man of Manitoba curling, Jason "Gunner" Gunnlaugson - and a steal nonetheless!
I miss the women!!!!  :(

* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Users Online

112 Guests, 16 Users (28 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Mightygoose, woody, greenandwhite, Dr.Whiskey, RichardVeilleux, jim43bob, Cflukb69, Chewbaca1973, Katmandu, FootbalYouBet, TravelPat1, AlsPal, VICIOUSCIRCLE, rshmglsky, Google (AdSense) (11), Google (16), Baidu

Most Online Today: 182. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)