KevinRiley2

Jones, if she could have made it thru the Trials without going out of sorts would have been more clinical and professional - she would have been anywhere from 6-3 to 8-1 in the round-robin . . . . her shot-making is no longer what it was at the last Olympics.
I agree.  She would have performed well in the Round Robin.

Would she have had the energy to finish strong?

Not sure, but getting to the playoffs would not be an issue and she would have medalled.  
Princess Eve Muirhead (GBR) had a hard-on for Homan - cuz Homan was standing in for JJ who vanquished the princess at the last Olympics.

Muirhead would have had 10x the hard-on if Jones had made it thru - and with Jones starting to show erosion as a major-league shooter, Muirhead prolly woulda lambasted her in the semi-final or final.

Jones has a far better team overall than either Muirhead or Homan. Dawn McEwen is the best lead in the world; Jill Officer still one of the greatest 2nds and we all saw the havoc Pretty Little Kaitlyn Lawes caused in mixed doubles (ie. gold medal)

However, Muirhead, although a notorious slow-starter (a female Rocky Marciano) would have lambasted either Jones or Homan with her amazing shot-pelting under duress. Homan would have barely stood up to her - Jones would have stood up to her - but still lost on final stones or somesuch!
What do you think would happen to Team Jones if Jones were to retire?
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Lyle B. Style

Jones, if she could have made it thru the Trials without going out of sorts would have been more clinical and professional - she would have been anywhere from 6-3 to 8-1 in the round-robin . . . . her shot-making is no longer what it was at the last Olympics.

Not sure, but getting to the playoffs would not be an issue and she would have medalled.  
Princess Eve Muirhead (GBR) had a hard-on for Homan - cuz Homan was standing in for JJ who vanquished the princess at the last Olympics.

Muirhead would have had 10x the hard-on if Jones had made it thru - and with Jones starting to show erosion as a major-league shooter, Muirhead prolly woulda lambasted her in the semi-final or final.

Jones has a far better team overall than either Muirhead or Homan. Dawn McEwen is the best lead in the world; Jill Officer still one of the greatest 2nds and we all saw the havoc Pretty Little Kaitlyn Lawes caused in mixed doubles (ie. gold medal)

However, Muirhead, although a notorious slow-starter (a female Rocky Marciano) would have lambasted either Jones or Homan with her amazing shot-pelting under duress. Homan would have barely stood up to her - Jones would have stood up to her - but still lost on final stones or somesuch!
Jones has next year planned already. Unless Lawes bolts (she won't, she's under contract) Jones is already booked for Team Canada owing to her great win at the STOH. She'll play a modicum of cash events, international events she's earned invites to but doesn't have to play the Manitoba playdowns.

After that, who knows. She'll win her share of cash (maybe #1 or #2 on tour) evenif she curls average to mediocre - the team is that good. At the STOH I would expect an enraged Rachel Homan to rep Ontario and be totally out for blood - perhaps Kerri Einarson w/ Sweeting at 3rd coming out of Manitoba, either Carey or Scheidegger out of Alberta, McCarville or Fleury from North Ontario.

If Jones can no longer muster up the power to make playoffs she'll retire to broadcasting or law - maybe both. If she makes playoffs but gets dunked early she'll lean to retirement. If she wins a record 7th Scotties - she'll prolly seriously consider one more Olympic cycle - even if it means she'd be 47/48 at the event, w/ Officer being 46/47 and Lawes 33/34.

Long road - all I know is Rachel Homan, Miskew & Courtney will be totally vindictive mean girls next season - trying to slay all comers in their wake!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

KevinRiley2

Jones has next year planned already. Unless Lawes bolts (she won't, she's under contract) Jones is already booked for Team Canada owing to her great win at the STOH. She'll play a modicum of cash events, international events she's earned invites to but doesn't have to play the Manitoba playdowns.

After that, who knows. She'll win her share of cash (maybe #1 or #2 on tour) evenif she curls average to mediocre - the team is that good. At the STOH I would expect an enraged Rachel Homan to rep Ontario and be totally out for blood - perhaps Kerri Einarson w/ Sweeting at 3rd coming out of Manitoba, either Carey or Scheidegger out of Alberta, McCarville or Fleury from North Ontario.

If Jones can no longer muster up the power to make playoffs she'll retire to broadcasting or law - maybe both. If she makes playoffs but gets dunked early she'll lean to retirement. If she wins a record 7th Scotties - she'll prolly seriously consider one more Olympic cycle - even if it means she'd be 47/48 at the event, w/ Officer being 46/47 and Lawes 33/34.

Long road - all I know is Rachel Homan, Miskew & Courtney will be totally vindictive mean girls next season - trying to slay all comers in their wake!
If/When Team Jones disbands, I'm sure PLKL will land on her feet, with her own team.  I hope so.  

Lyle B. Style

Porky Captain America, John Shuster with the big semi-final upset of Lex Luthor (Canadian Kevin Koe) this a.m.

Koe donated regularly to the American cause - it was that bad. Canada out-curled at every position.

Ben Hebert was one disgusted Benihana at game's end.

Now playing a bunch of eager swiss for bronze in the turd place sewer championship!

DAN38

Porky Captain America, John Shuster with the big semi-final upset of Lex Luthor (Canadian Kevin Koe) this a.m.

Koe donated regularly to the American cause - it was that bad. Canada out-curled at every position.

Now playing a bunch of eager swiss for bronze in the turd place sewer championship!
    I've really enjoyed reading your posts on the curling,Lyle. You know your stuff and it helped in watching the games. Thanks.
    Kevin, you're right up there too ! I appreciate the sharing of knowledge. Reading what you guys had to say helped me understand the game better.... I will never understand the shots that Homan was making though. ::)
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

sambo42

I've really enjoyed reading your posts on the curling,Lyle. You know your stuff and it helped in watching the games. Thanks.
    Kevin, you're right up there too ! I appreciate the sharing of knowledge. Reading what you guys had to say helped me understand the game better.... I will never understand the shots that Homan was making though. ::)
I'm not sure anyone will... I didn't see the Canada/US men's game, so I can't comment on that... hopefully Koe will rebound and get the bronze. 

Lyle B. Style

In the 'Who Cares' department our group of Canadian mopes fell at the hands of Switzerland 7-5 on last rock this morning.

Again, Canada was out-curled at every position (especially young Benny Schwartz inflicting a massive beating on L'Grosse Salamander Kevin Koe)

Only the loose-lipped lead Benihana Hebert stood up for Canada, turning in a perfect 100% game as Canadian lead.

Canada finished 6-3 in the round robin, certainly better than Rachel Homan's putrid 4-5 record but got themselves blown up in 2 straight playoff games - semi-final vs. USA and then the bronzer vs. Suisse.

Doubt this group will stick together for another cycle.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Kennedy (current 3rd) try his hand at skipping.

Laing might try one more go, curling with a southern Ontario team to close out his sparkling career.

Benihana, other than his 'unique' personality would make a fabulous lead for just about any Canadian team - I'm sure he's already fielding calls.

Probably on the sidelines watching all this muck transpire is The Moody Manitoban, John Morris - he's been unable to break thru in BC with his team of imports (Jim Cotter) so he might be salivating at the thought of picking up a couple pieces of the Koe team - particularly Morris skipping but having the droll Koe toss 4th stones.

TravelPat1

Thank goodness for the introduction of the Mixed Curling event - because boy did our 'regular' curling skips look like deer in the headlights by the time their Olympics ended. 

Lyle B. Style

Thank goodness for the introduction of the Mixed Curling event - because boy did our 'regular' curling skips look like deer in the headlights by the time their Olympics ended.
When Koe comes out of his coma tomorrow he'll first ask when the curling begins - he was so very out of it this week.

The Mean Girls just got out-meaned!

Lyle B. Style

To me the 3 stars of the Olympics (for Canada):

1. Pretty Little Kaitlyn Lawes
2. Blouin (who won 3 medals in ladies speed)
3. Kaetlyn Osmond (great bronze in figure skating)

btw - Canada should be proud of getting silver in a 2 nation women's hockey tournament, no question??? lol

sambo42

btw - Canada should be proud of getting silver in a 2 nation women's hockey tournament, no question??? lol
 Sorry can't agree with choices... how you left Virtue & Moir out of your top 3 is baffling to me... not only did they give the greatest performance of these winter Olympics, they gave the best performance of any winter Olympics. If you are including Lawes, you have to include Morris as well. So my three top performances:

1. Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir
2. Lawes & Morris
3.  Justin Kripps, Alex Kopacz

If you don't know who the last 2 are, then you didn't the 2-man bobsleigh competition.

Lyle B. Style

btw - Canada should be proud of getting silver in a 2 nation women's hockey tournament, no question??? lol
Sorry can't agree with choices... how you left Virtue & Moir out of your top 3 is baffling to me... not only did they give the greatest performance of these winter Olympics, they gave the best performance of any winter Olympics. If you are including Lawes, you have to include Morris as well. So my three top performances:

1. Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir
2. Lawes & Morris
3.  Justin Kripps, Alex Kopacz

If you don't know who the last 2 are, then you didn't the 2-man bobsleigh competition.
Good add sambo - I was still bombed out of my mind watching the Germans eviscerate Canadian amateur hockey earlier this a.m. Tessa & Scott were undoubtedly the biggest stars of the  games - 2 gold medals - record-setting performances . . . . CBC basically closed down other coverage to tongue bathe the great Moir/Virtue combo!!!

RedandWhite

...I'm no curling nut so maybe I'm being naive about this but I don't see why Canadian fans automatically assumed we would instantly gold medal in curling...seems like the type of sport that other countries could ramp up their skillset in pretty quickly, which they obviously did...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

KevinRiley2

Re : "To me the 3 stars of the Olympics (for Canada):

1. Pretty Little Kaitlyn Lawes"

Oh yeah!!!!  That's my girl.  :)

Hank01

...I'm no curling nut so maybe I'm being naive about this but I don't see why Canadian fans automatically assumed we would instantly gold medal in curling...seems like the type of sport that other countries could ramp up their skillset in pretty quickly, which they obviously did...

People forget we went 7 years in a row in the 70's without winning the world championship ( called the silver broom back then) in curling . Both hockey and curling our most dominant sports in the world for a brief period was in doubt . From 1973 to 1979 were bleak sporting years for Canada . We were the first host country not to win a gold medal in 76 and repeated in 88 in Calgary .

Times have changed we are spoiled now . To think we stand in second place and are a force now at least in the winter games and put up a good showing in the summer is a indicator that our country has developed a more competitive spirit and participation awards ( school fitness awards ) started back in the 70's and own the podium in the 2000's has really paid off .

Always would lose the chance at excellence on the long jump and settle for gold . Stupid long jump .

Users Online

94 Guests, 15 Users (19 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
KevinRiley2, raymarkca, kfan, hendy77, Abendschan, Balticfox, Mightygoose, cheater, VICIOUSCIRCLE, Jindred, ExPat, rshmglsky, papazoola, Google (AdSense) (7), Google (12)

Most Online Today: 187. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)