KevinRiley2

Canada needed better coaching.  We needed a coach, perhaps a MALE coach, who could stand up to Team Homan and provide an objective opinion that would be respected.  

We didn't have that.  
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

DAN38

I think we were overthinking the game too much.
Bingo! And the overthinking (due to the pressure) also spilled over to their poor shotmaking.
  Another disappointing thing was watching Glen Howard coach the GB team. Won't be buying beer from your store any more, Glennie boy. I can understand helping another team(for money,I guess ?), but how can you go against Canada ? Same as the Canadians playing for the Korean hockey team. Ex-Canadians in my books.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

KevinRiley2

Bingo! And the overthinking (due to the pressure) also spilled over to their poor shotmaking.
 Another disappointing thing was watching Glen Howard coach the GB team. Won't be buying beer from your store any more, Glennie boy. I can understand helping another team(for money,I guess ?), but how can you go against Canada ? Same as the Canadians playing for the Korean hockey team. Ex-Canadians in my books.
My guess : They offered him a lot of $$$.  

Why didn't Canada have him as a couch?  He sure would have been better that the coaching we had.

In his defense, I LOVED the call he made during the Canada/G.B. game... 

Came to the ice, told them what to do, walked away.  LIKE A BOSS!!!

DAN38

The whole thing was sad to watch. I'm not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to curling so I wish someone would explain why were the Canadians taking the shots they were was taking and missing. There was example near the end of the Great Britain game where Homan took out 3 of her own stones just to eliminate the single GB stone. Leave it alone ! Who cares ? It didn't affect anything. I think we were overthinking the game too much.
The Great Jonesie Jones would have done exactly the same. Too often I've seen Jones build up a great end - but at the apex of the build-up she'll start unravelling the end - helping the opponent score or hold Jones down to a force.

That little lonely stone of GBR was enough to set off mass panic in the Homan camp. She did what she's been trained to do. Unfortunately it worked out poorly for her.

In the future she'll do the same 998 times out of a 1000.
  But why, Lyle, why ?

DAN38

Why didn't Canada have him as a couch?  He sure would have been better that the coaching we had.

Came to the ice, told them what to do, walked away.  LIKE A BOSS!!!
From what I saw there was disrespect between the coach and the Mean girls, both ways.

KevinRiley2

Why didn't Canada have him as a couch?  He sure would have been better that the coaching we had.

Came to the ice, told them what to do, walked away.  LIKE A BOSS!!!
From what I saw there was disrespect between the coach and the team, both ways.
Fair enough.

I just wish Curling Canada had provided the women with the best coaching, and NOT worried about Political Correctness - having a female coach.

DAN38

You're not allowed to think like that, let alone say it.

KevinRiley2

You're not allowed to think like that, let alone say it.
:)

When I saw the Canada coaches meekly talking to Team Homan, when they were a mess, I cringed.  The Team needed strong guidance and it wasn't there.

Great Britain got the coaching/leadership they needed and they won.  I don't think it's a coincidence.  

Sadly, I think Justin Trudeau would rather see a woman coach behind the bench, than a Gold medal around the neck.  

KevinRiley2

As per Great Britain's coach...

"The increased professionalization is a factor, too, as coaches like Howard are spreading their knowledge around the world – “I wish it didn’t come down to us putting Canada out, I struggled with that, but in the grand scheme of things, that was my job,” he said – and there is also increased scouting of rival rinks, leading to better game-planning."

Lyle B. Style

Canada needed better coaching.  We needed a coach, perhaps a MALE coach, who could stand up to Team Homan and provide an objective opinion that would be respected.  

We didn't have that.  
They had a male coach, Adam Kingsbury who was their psychological coach for about two or 3 years. Kingsbury, a noted non-curler was replaced by a dirtgasser named Resby Coutts (head of Curling Canada) by a female coach who had been a semi-competitive curler in Alberta for years (Renee Sonnenberg). It was obvious Renee and Team Homan didn't mix well. She didn't have the respect of the women she was assigned to coach. It was so obvious - hardly any nuances in the distaste you could feel in Homan's mouth.
A male coach like Kevin Martin, Jonathan Mead, Jeff Stoughton, Russ Howard, Rick Folk, Wayne Middaugh, Richard Hart - lots of choices out there!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

Palmer

Maybe its just me, but IMO, Homan proved her bona fides through the four year qualification process culminating in the “Roar of the Rings” Olympic qualifier.  Too bad for some of you that Jennifer Jones and all the others came up short, but they did, and didn’t make the cut, while Homan won, hands down, and earned her chance at the Olympics.

Again, IMO, it is not so much that Canada failed as it is the other nations have improved.  Like hockey, we have welcomed them to live and compete in Canada, and supply them with Canadian expertise, coaching, sponsorships, and equipment.  It obviously paid off for them, to our loss.  Homan and her team have put their lives on hold for four years and earned the right to compete.  I for one one, salute them, and hope to see them on the Canadian “curcuit” for many years to come, including another shot at the Olympics.

Lyle B. Style

Maybe its just me, but IMO, Homan proved her bona fides through the four year qualification process culminating in the “Roar of the Rings” Olympic qualifier.  Too bad for some of you that Jennifer Jones and all the others came up short, but they did, and didn’t make the cut, while Homan won, hands down, and earned her chance at the Olympics.

Again, IMO, it is not so much that Canada failed as it is the other nations have improved.  Like hockey, we have welcomed them to live and compete in Canada, and supply them with Canadian expertise, coaching, sponsorships, and equipment.  It obviously paid off for them, to our loss.  Homan and her team have put their lives on hold for four years and earned the right to compete.  I for one one, salute them, and hope to see them on the Canadian “curcuit” for many years to come, including another shot at the Olympics.
At the Roar of the Rings (Olympic qualifying tournament) a lot of Canadian women's teams showed their true colors. Val Sweeting showed herself nothing more than a nail-biting nervous nelly, Chelsea Carey showed her incredible power thru the round-robin but fell hard at the hands of Homan when push came to shove.
The Almighty Jennifer Jones started off like a house on fire - but differing ice conditions turned her out of sorts and she fizzled away her last 4 games.
Homan was the only one who stayed strong and played hard - although she wasn't yet graced by incompatible coaching and a spare who was forced upon her.

Carey would have been a mess at the Olympics - her mental attitude is her primary weakness. She's not mentally strong - never has been. Sweeting is a great lady - a true sportswoman - but her nervous style of curling would have been thwarted - either 5-4 or 4-5 like Homan.

Jones, if she could have made it thru the Trials without going out of sorts would have been more clinical and professional - she would have been anywhere from 6-3 to 8-1 in the round-robin . . . . her shot-making is no longer what it was at the last Olympics.

No other Canadian womens team at our trials would have been better than 5-4, Michelle Englot might have won 2 games, Kerri Einarson might have won 3, Krista McCarville 3 or 4.

KevinRiley2

The biggest weakness was Homan.  She choked and would not listen to anyone.

Second, the lack of a strong coach was huge!

Example :  They were playing awful (0-3 at the time) so they had a Team-Only meeting.  What the heck?  There is only 4 of them and they are together 24/7.  What do they need a Team-Only meeting for?

They needed someone STRONG (NOT Renee Sonnenberg) to sit them down and read them the riot act.  Tell them to play strong fundamental curling.  This didn't happen and, as a result, the team was a few Rachel Homan (easy) missed shots away from making the playoffs.

As I said before, when Glenn Howard came down to coach the G.B. team, he was straight and to the point.  He told them what to do and walked away.  They did it and won.

Compare that to the meek, mousey Renee Sonnenberg, and we know why we lost.

KevinRiley2

Jones, if she could have made it thru the Trials without going out of sorts would have been more clinical and professional - she would have been anywhere from 6-3 to 8-1 in the round-robin . . . . her shot-making is no longer what it was at the last Olympics.
I agree.  She would have performed well in the Round Robin. 

Would she have had the energy to finish strong? 

Not sure, but getting to the playoffs would not be an issue and she would have medalled.  

Lyle B. Style

I agree.  She would have performed well in the Round Robin.

Would she have had the energy to finish strong?

Not sure, but getting to the playoffs would not be an issue and she would have medalled.  
Princess Eve Muirhead (GBR) had a hard-on for Homan - cuz Homan was standing in for JJ who vanquished the princess at the last Olympics.

Muirhead would have had 10x the hard-on if Jones had made it thru - and with Jones starting to show erosion as a major-league shooter, Muirhead prolly woulda lambasted her in the semi-final or final.

Jones has a far better team overall than either Muirhead or Homan. Dawn McEwen is the best lead in the world; Jill Officer still one of the greatest 2nds and we all saw the havoc Pretty Little Kaitlyn Lawes caused in mixed doubles (ie. gold medal)

However, Muirhead, although a notorious slow-starter (a female Rocky Marciano) would have lambasted either Jones or Homan with her amazing shot-pelting under duress. Homan would have barely stood up to her - Jones would have stood up to her - but still lost on final stones or somesuch!

Users Online

90 Guests, 18 Users (13 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
DisplacedCatsFan, Onemoredork, Garney 26, TravelPat1, alphamale111, Balticfox, Hammertown Proud, ExPat, RM14, rshmglsky, Mightygoose, FenderGuy69, MadJack, 97valkyrie, raymarkca, bowl450, MrLucky, Google (AdSense) (6), Google (7)

Most Online Today: 187. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)