DAN38

Hey Dan - If I find video I'll post it - but on one replay he clearly sticks his left elbow out to make contact with the ball - the entire arm is considered a hand ball.  

It is ruled a handall if the arm is moved to the ball or the arm is considered to be in an unnatural position when the ball hits it such as up in the air over your head or way out to the sides.  

In the case of the call on the Croatian player the infraction was considered so deliberate he even got a yellow card on the play..
   Considering that Croatia won anyway I will concede the call and if ArgoT says so, I agree. It's his team after all !

Thanks Pat for looking for a vid. I looked and can't find it but that's not surprising....I still think when a ball is drilled at you, if it doesn't affect the game, it should not be called. The way some of these guys can kick I'd be putting my hands up too !
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

FootbalYouBet

....I still think when a ball is drilled at you, if it doesn't affect the game, it should not be called.
I agree.  There should be a distinct difference between hitting the ball with your arm or hand vs incidental contact of the ball hitting your arm or hand.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

it is not how much you love but how well you love

why be part of the solution when you can be part of the problem

DAN38

I agree.  There should be a distinct difference between hitting the ball with your arm or hand vs incidental contact of the ball hitting your arm or hand.
    Yeah, I played a lot of soccer when young and I remember guys not even looking and someone kicks the ball and it hits their arm-penalty. Makes no sense. If I lost my stick in hockey and someone falls over it, am I called for tripping ? During a free kick some guys cover their groins with their hands. Should they take a ball to the genitals instead ? Guys falling touch the ball all the time. We're not talking Maradona here.

I still don't like the call on Croatia.

TravelPat1

There goes the team I thought would win the Cup. Bye bye Belgium. Kind of disappointing that it was a 1 - 0 game today.  I really thought we'd see more goals in that game. 

Here's hoping England pulls through tomorrow. 

DAN38

There goes the team I thought would win the Cup. Bye bye Belgium. Kind of disappointing that it was a 1 - 0 game today.  I really thought we'd see more goals in that game.

Two blatant non calls in a row on fouls against Hazard at about the 60 min mark. This is the kind of stuff that leaves a bad taste. How could that ref not call those ? Then later and from further out he calls the same call on an iffy foul. Mbappe is a good player but almost as bad as Neymar on the acting.

FootbalYouBet

I am so bummed.  One of the teams I most did not want to even be in the final 4. 

DAN38

I am so bummed.  One of the teams I most did not want to even be in the final 4.
   I hear ya.
Whichever team wins tomorrow will be my team against France.

I still hope Croatia takes it all.

FootbalYouBet

I hear ya.
Whichever team wins tomorrow will be my team against France.

I still hope Croatia takes it all.
if England wins I will lose interest.

TravelPat1

England is who I always wanted to win. Belgium is who I thought would win.  So one of my two 'picks' is still alive.  'Bring football home' as they are saying in England these days. Even British Airways with a boarding pass to bring football home.

ArgoT

if England wins I will lose interest.
I am with both of you FYB and Dan.
I thought the ref today was horrible as he missed some crucial calls not to mention the acting should have been penalized as it was over the top for both teams.
Neither team inspires exciting plays and it made for a boring game.
No question the winner tomorrow.........Croatia hopefully..........will win the Cup.

Paolo X

There goes the team I thought would win the Cup. Bye bye Belgium. Kind of disappointing that it was a 1 - 0 game today.  I really thought we'd see more goals in that game.

I predicted not only the winner but also the score correctly for France 1 Belgium 0. 

My reasoning was that they matched up similarly, and I think the score easily could have gone the other way by the same margin.

Today Croatia 2 England 1 is my guess.

Here's how I did earlier:
14 of 16 to advance with 9 of those in the correct slot (missed on Germany like most plus Poland)

7 of 8 winners in the Knock-Out phase 
(I had picked Argentina to win in penalty kicks for that classic match)

3 of 4 winners in the quarfinals (I missed on Brazil as did most)

3 scoring predictions correct in the Knock-Out phase including France in the semifinal:
Uruguay 2 Portugal 1
England 1 Colombia 1 England win in penalty kicks
Best Regards, Paolo

Paolo X

This World Cup in Russia here in 2018 has been the best at least since Germany 2006. Before that I would go back to France 1998 for comparison. I have been watching since Spain 1982 when the tournament had been expanded to 24 teams from only 16.

Initially I cringed at the thought of expansion of the World Cup to 48 teams from the current 32 for 2026, but now I find myself rethinking the proposition.

Though some of the groups finished with lopsided results as is the norm, it seems to me there's more parity at hand any more.

Consider that three matches in the round of 16 went to penalty kicks, and consider the tale of Japan making it in via the unlikely Fair Play tiebreaker after finishing even with Senegal and then taking heavy favourite Belgium down to the wire after going up 2 goals in the first half. Note that Japan also beat group winner Colombia in group play.

Then South Korea playing favourite Germany, which had to win to have a chance to advance, and defeating Germany in a thriller in stoppage time 2 goals to 0!

Then let's note that Nigeria, which needed only a draw to advance, went down only in the final minutes against disappointing favourite Argentina. And then Argentina gave France quite the run in a 4-3 thriller.

A future format should be interesting at least as far as any expansion in a second round of group play (i.e. such as in 1982, which had flawed scheduling) or for an expanded knock-out round.

48 teams still seems excessive though especially considering the sordid likes of more Panamas (i.e. and but for Mexico a horrible current CONCACAF for that matter), so I figure we will be seeing more very lopsided results in group play and glorified friendlies once the favourite is up perhaps 3 goals.

But more than 16 teams in a second round of group play or in an expanded knock-out round? Though I have no idea how or if such a new format for the World Cup Tournament will be established, I say bring it on!

TravelPat1

But more than 16 teams in a second round of group play or in an expanded knock-out round? Though I have no idea how or if such a new format for the World Cup Tournament will be established, I say bring it on!
By the sounds of it there will be 16 pools of 3 teams with the top 2 from each pool advancing to a sudden death knockout round of 32 and then on from there. 

The 48-team tournament format

There is also, some say, a significant disadvantage to being the team that does not feature in the opening group game. Sixteen countries will start their campaigns against a team who have already played. If that team won their opening game they will know they only need a point to progress. If they lost it, they know they need a win to stand any chance of avoiding elimination. Both suggest a very different approach to a game where both teams start on zero points.

The 48 teams will be divided into 16 groups of three. The top two teams in each group will progress to a new knock-out phase of 32. It means that 16 teams will go home after playing just two matches, and critics have argued that a format featuring groups comprised of three teams is likely to be very unbalanced.
Supporters of expansion say the strength of the format is that while it adds 16 extra teams, it adds only 16 extra matches, and barely impacts the number of days it takes to play the tournament.

The two teams who reach the final will have still played six matches to get there, as they currently do. In effect, 32 teams are still guaranteed to have at least three matches in the competition, which is what happens in the current 32 team format.

TravelPat1

Trippier 'Bends it like Beckham'.  1 - 0 England in the first five minutes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3e3kEgJM9I&feature=onebox

Users Online

56 Guests, 2 Users (15 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
OskeeweeneeVI, Google (14), Baidu

Most Online Today: 114. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)