alphamale111

FIFA is cost prohibitive like the Olympics.
For years now no one could afford the costs, not to mention the poor legacy left behind and with the prerequisite of greasing all of the corrupt people,leaches and respective politicians  attached to the system.
In addition, all kinds of economic indicators for the countries that have been hood winked into these games  have confirmed after the fact there is no financial(eg tourism always cited?) benefit.
No perfect example than our 1976 Montreal Olympics.
That's why they proposed the bid as it is now... No new stadiums or infrastructure being built. Renovations or additions to meet FIFA standards.

TravelPat1

Last time we were in in 1986 we almost shocked France.  Tied 0 - 0 into the 79th minute after hitting the crossbar to nearly take the lead. 

https://olympic.ca/2014/06/11/mexico-1986-canadas-first-and-last-trip-to-the-world-cup/

c-way-dude

I don't want to see a weak Canadian team get an auto berth.  It would not be like they had a chance to make it to  the  round of 16. OTOH, Mexico would most likely earn a berth anyhow.
Expanding the tournament to 48 teams is a terrible idea.  Half of the teams will have no chance of winning.  Teams will just play a conservative defensive style, hoping for a 0-0 tie.  There are already teams that do that in a 32-team tournament.

ArgoT

I don't want to see a weak Canadian team get an auto berth.  It would not be like they had a chance to make it to  the  round of 16. OTOH, Mexico would most likely earn a berth anyhow.
Expanding the tournament to 48 teams is a terrible idea.  Half of the teams will have no chance of winning.  Teams will just play a conservative defensive style, hoping for a 0-0 tie.  There are already teams that do that in a 32-team tournament.
I have been telling my friends who also like soccer  the best way to improve the game is to get rid of the offside.  
Open it up, as it turns out the defence dictates the offside.
It's sure to increase scoring and will end the debate of good call bad call by the side judges.

Hank01

Expanding the tournament to 48 teams is a terrible idea.  Half of the teams will have no chance of winning.  Teams will just play a conservative defensive style, hoping for a 0-0 tie.  There are already teams that do that in a 32-team tournament.
I have been telling my friends who also like soccer  the best way to improve the game is to get rid of the offside.  
It's sure to increase scoring and will end the debate of good call bad call by the side judges.
 Or use a line instead of a player like Hockey . That should improve flow of the game .

TravelPat1

The old NASL used to have a 35 yard line where a player would not be offside when the ball was passed if they were outside that35 yard line. But FIFA under threat of sanctions forced them to adopt the midfield line that eeryone else uses. 

There is sort of a history of the offside rule in this story about the NASL 35 yard experiment. 
https://ussoccerplayers.com/history/the-nasl/a-worthy-experiment

FootbalYouBet

I have been telling my friends who also like soccer  the best way to improve the game is to get rid of the offside.  
Or use a line instead of a player like Hockey . That should improve flow of the game .
I believe that offside only applies to where they are when the ball is kicked ahead by teammate.  They are then allowed to run past the defenders before the ball arrives.  In your scenario, they would have to wait for the ball to pass the line which would actually worsen the flow of the game.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

There are people out there who just will not be happy until they have created sentient AI.

TravelPat1

Just heard Spain have fired their head coach because he has signed to coach Real Madrid next season. Just two days before their opener?  Wow!

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2018/06/13/world/europe/ap-soc-wcup-spain-lopetegui-fired.html

Aerial

I agree with BC's stance it has taken with the WC though:

B.C. stands firm in decision not to host World Cup 2026 soccer games
Declan Hill, a professor of investigations in the college of criminology justice and forensic sciences at the University of New Haven in Connecticut, told CTV News Channel Wednesday that taxpayers ought to be cautious when dealing with FIFA, noting convictions on corruption charges in the past.
“As a taxpayer and as a person that’s seen the operations of FIFA close at hand, I’m saying, everybody, let’s take a break and be very careful how we sign contracts with this institution,” said Hill, who wrote The Fix: Soccer and Organized Crime.
Hill said the local organizing committees need to have “top cops ... top forensic accountants (and) top democratic accountability people.”
“We don’t want to lose, as the taxpayers, to FIFA,” he added.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/b-c-stands-firm-in-decision-not-to-host-world-cup-2026-soccer-games-1.3972285
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

FootbalYouBet

“We don’t want to lose, as the taxpayers, to FIFA,”

that is the question...would we lose?

did we lose money during the 2015 womens cup?

Hank01

I believe that offside only applies to where they are when the ball is kicked ahead by teammate.  They are then allowed to run past the defenders before the ball arrives.  In your scenario, they would have to wait for the ball to pass the line which would actually worsen the flow of the game.
  It works in hockey just fine and it's a much faster game . Played both games and prefer hockey offside than the soccer . 

The hockey way you can have offence without worrying that the defender would make the player off side . 

The line is a deterrent to extreme cherry picking in hockey but some guys like Pavel Bure made it a signature piece .

If soccer did it with a line at the 30 yd out from the goal it would suffice . You can still kick it in and run but now you care less about the defender's location . It would open the offence up to a much better flow and more scoring attempts .

In your scenario the defenders are always running back and that's the problem they aren't . They know you can't pass to your teammate because of the location of the defender which makes the game as boring as grass growing . 

It creates an irritating  barrier to play making by making the last defender the offside mark especially in the scoring position near the net  . Hockey guys hate that aspect of the sport . 

It doesn't make sense to not be able to pass anywhere you want on the field especially near the net without worrying that the defender is in-between an artificial moving line . 

FootbalYouBet

you may have a point Hank.

I think maybe there is a little bit of plus and minus to the idea.

I was fine with it as it is when I played and I am fine with it as I now watch it.

I never played ice hockey.  Couldn't ice skate very well, give me roller skates any day.

When I watch hockey, I sometimes wonder what it would be like it there was no offside.

Gretzky was more guilty than Bure was.  I think Bure backchecked and fought in the corners better than Gretzky.

FootbalYouBet

watching the world cup preview show, they did a good job of giving a  detail description of how the video assisted replay will work including what the fans will see on the tv screen and replay screen during this time, as well on tsn and/or fifa web site.

DAN38

you may have a point Hank.

I think maybe there is a little bit of plus and minus to the idea.

I was fine with it as it is when I played and I am fine with it as I now watch it.

I never played ice hockey.  Couldn't ice skate very well, give me roller skates any day.

When I watch hockey, I sometimes wonder what it would be like it there was no offside.

Gretzky was more guilty than Bure was.  I think Bure backchecked and fought in the corners better than Gretzky.
   I don't remember either of them ever fighting in the corners.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

DAN38

“We don’t want to lose, as the taxpayers, to FIFA,”

that is the question...would we lose?

did we lose money during the 2015 womens cup?
    Don't know about the women's but I heard an interesting take on losing money and Vancouver may be on the ball with this. FIFA says a minimum 45,000 stadium is needed. What does Montreal use ? The big OWE needs LOTS of work. I don't see how that place can be used. Same as Toronto. Can BMO be made to accommodate that many seats ? PAT ? Or would they put grass in the Skydump ? Edmonton is OK.. A lot of money has to be spent in the next little while and for how much return is the big question. Very interesting.

Users Online

110 Guests, 19 Users (20 Spiders, 5 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
bobo82, yougottabekidding, Onemoredork, tcmike, Lyle B. Style, OskeeweeneeVI, sully, Lennywasout, Hamilton2005, Grover, Cool, brianjoxx, papazoola, 2ez, Google (AdSense) (9), Google (11)

Most Online Today: 157. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)