ArgoT

So will each of the hosting countries get a automatic berth ? If so, we better get going on a team.
I believe that the host countries... Canada, Mexico & the US get automatic berths into the World Cup
Not quite. FIFA will decide if Mexico and Canada get an automatic bye.
As it stands now, out of the 80 games to be scheduled, Mexico and Canada  only get 10 each.
So far BMO and Commonwealth stadium will split this share.

rcon

So will each of the hosting countries get a automatic berth ? If so, we better get going on a team.
I believe that the host countries... Canada, Mexico & the US get automatic berths into the World Cup
As it stands now, out of the 80 games to be scheduled, Mexico and Canada  only get 10 each.
Out of the 10 games Canada will get, they will only get preliminary games and probably "marquee " match-ups as Croatia vs. Trinidad and Tobago.

ArgoT

As it stands now, out of the 80 games to be scheduled, Mexico and Canada  only get 10 each.
Out of the 10 games Canada will get, they will only get preliminary games and probably "marquee " match-ups as Croatia vs. Trinidad and Tobago.
Agreed, we are getting crumbs here so not to be a downer it is not like we are getting the entire tournament.  It better than nothing I guess.
Like it  or not, without the US we(same for Mexico)  would get zilch.

sambo42

As per TSN...https://www.tsn.ca/fifa-world-cup/video/fifa-world-cup-party-coming-to-canada-in-2026~1416476

For more than three decades Canada men's national team has been on the outside looking in on the FIFA World Cup™, but after securing the right to host in 2026, Canada will return for the first time since 1986.

In addition, the format goes from 32 teams to 48 in 2026... it infinitely increases Canada's chances to get an automatic berth.

DAN38

Agreed, we are getting crumbs here so not to be a downer it is not like we are getting the entire tournament.  It better than nothing I guess.
Like it  or not, without the US we(same for Mexico)  would get zilch.
   Thanks to everyone who answered me.

I understand us getting only ten of the games but Mexico who has hosted twice already could easily handle it again on it's own. I think Mexico should receive more than ten games based on their population alone. Hell, Mexico City has 20 mil people itself.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

alphamale111

Just like every four years, very  much looking forward to the WC and especially  the exciting  first round.
Hoping my Croatian team can finally live up to its capabilities.
Croatia should be able to make it out of that group. I think they'll make the round of 8.
Agreed.
They are always a dark horse, but have underachieved.
However this year if all the stars align, who knows.
Strong up the middle with Modric as one of the best playmakers, they have a heck of an offence.
May be a little suspect in the back portion and the keeper.
Saw a WC qualifier last year in Zagreb, when they barely beat up on Kosovo as they look horrid.
Then with a new coach Dalic, he has lit a fire under them.
Who do you like to win? Do you have a dark horse like Iceland?
I'm thinking Germany this year. For a dark horse? I'm rooting for Senegal. They pay a fast pace brand of football that's fun to watch. 

alphamale111

Agreed, we are getting crumbs here so not to be a downer it is not like we are getting the entire tournament.  It better than nothing I guess.

I understand us getting only ten of the games but Mexico who has hosted twice already could easily handle it again on it's own. I think Mexico should receive more than ten games based on their population alone. Hell, Mexico City has 20 mil people itself.
Hey - I'll take the 10 games. and I can fly/ drive to the USA for the finals/ knockout. Our problem is stadiums... to host on our own we need a minimum of 8 to 10 large stadiums.  Maybe in 40 yrs we will be able to host on our own. However, with the cost of these games, would you want to?

ArgoT

Our taxes are already through the roof.
One of the other reasons, besides politics and likely graft as FIFA is known for and despite the recent purging, Morocco has no stadiums of the required  minimum 35,000 and therefore would have had to build 14 from scratch.
Think of the cost for that?

ArgoT

Hey - I'll take the 10 games. and I can fly/ drive to the USA for the finals/ knockout. Our problem is stadiums... to host on our own we need a minimum of 8 to 10 large stadiums.  Maybe in 40 yrs we will be able to host on our own. However, with the cost of these games, would you want to?
Our taxes are already through the roof.
One of the other reasons, besides politics and likely graft as FIFA is known for and despite the recent purging, Morocco has no stadiums of the required  minimum 35,000 and therefore would have had to build 14 from scratch.
Think of the cost for that?

FootbalYouBet

I don't want to see a weak Canadian team get an auto berth.  It would not be like they had a chance to make it to  the  round of 16. OTOH, Mexico would most likely earn a berth anyhow.
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

There are people out there who just will not be happy until they have created sentient AI.

ArgoT

I don't want to see a weak Canadian team get an auto berth.  It would not be like they had a chance to make it to  the  round of 16. OTOH, Mexico would most likely earn a berth anyhow.
Agree with you.
The one and only time Canada was in the WC was in 1986 and they were bad, failing to score.
From recollection, I think there was a game or even two they failed to have a shot on goal.
We do not want charity like this as for me it does more damage than good.

Abendschan

Picking Spain for World Cup 2018 

ArgoT

FIFA is cost prohibitive like the Olympics.
For years now no one could afford the costs, not to mention the poor legacy left behind and with the prerequisite of greasing all of the corrupt people,leaches and respective politicians  attached to the system.
In addition, all kinds of economic indicators for the countries that have been hood winked into these games  have confirmed after the fact there is no financial(eg tourism always cited?) benefit.
No perfect example than our 1976 Montreal Olympics.

alphamale111

Agree with you.
The one and only time Canada was in the WC was in 1986 and they were bad, failing to score.
From recollection, I think there was a game or even two they failed to have a shot on goal.
We do not want charity like this as for me it does more damage than good.
They almost tied the game against France - Hit the crossbar, I think. Inches away from scoring and getting a result.

Aerial

No clue about this but obviously if Canada does get included for whatever FIFA policy/rules/niceness etc. I will cheer for them to win.  I'm not a big soccer fan but when it comes to Canada and our players are in, I cheer for them regardless if I know much about the sport or not.
"Canadian football does in fact have 4 downs, its just that as Canadians we are very polite and punt on the third down" -John Candy, SCTV

Users Online

97 Guests, 23 Users (15 Spiders, 5 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Ticatfan94, catsteelers2002, Grover, Shipyard, Dr.Whiskey, Hammertown Proud, GOTC1, SeaFiddle, StampsRock!, ArgoFan1, FormerlyTurkish, hawthy, rhymes with orange, GHT120, VICIOUSCIRCLE, FootbalYouBet, Ferg, bwf029, Google (AdSense) (9), Google (5), Alexa

Most Online Today: 201. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)