alphamale111

Just like every four years, very  much looking forward to the WC and especially  the exciting  first round.
Hoping my Croatian team can finally live up to its capabilities.
Croatia should be able to make it out of that group. I think they'll make the round of 8.

TravelPat1

Sadly my backup team to Canada - Ireland did not qualify either. I was over in Ireland when they played the two game home and home series that led to elimination against Denmark. After game 1 in Denmark it was quite the party on a Saturday night in Dublin after a 0 - 0 tie.

But Game 2 back in Dublin it was lots of tears in lots of pints of Guiness as Denmark romped 5-1.

ArgoT

Just like every four years, very  much looking forward to the WC and especially  the exciting  first round.
Hoping my Croatian team can finally live up to its capabilities.
Croatia should be able to make it out of that group. I think they'll make the round of 8.
Agreed. 
They are always a dark horse, but have underachieved. 
However this year if all the stars align, who knows.
Strong up the middle with Modric as one of the best playmakers, they have a heck of an offence.
May be a little suspect in the back portion and the keeper.
Saw a WC qualifier last year in Zagreb, when they barely beat up on Kosovo as they look horrid.
Then with a new coach Dalic, he has lit a fire under them.
Who do you like to win? Do you have a dark horse like Iceland?

DAN38

I always pick a darkhorse as my fav. Usually I will go with Cameroon but they ain't there so I'll go with Nigeria....I try to pick a team that if they win, it will set the soccer world on it's ear. Imagine if Nigeria won it all. ;D

I'll cheer for Croatia if you want. Anything to beat the bigwigs.

I only found out Iceland is in it. That would be good too.

Just saw that ARG, ICE, Croatia and Nigeria are all in the same group. That's not good.

I'm tired of the same teams vying. I want some new blood.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

ArgoT

I always pick a darkhorse as my fav. Usually I will go with Cameroon but they ain't there so I'll go with Nigeria....I try to pick a team that if they win, it will set the soccer world on it's ear. Imagine if Nigeria won it all. ;D

I'll cheer for Croatia if you want. Anything to beat the bigwigs.

I only found out Iceland is in it. That would be good too.

Just saw that ARG, ICE, Croatia and Nigeria are all in the same group. That's not good.

I'm tired of the same teams vying. I want some new blood.
Agree with you Dan.
I also do not  want to see the same of either France, Germany, Brazil or Argentina.
Possibly more chance of that will happen in '22 in Qatar when an increased 48 teams or 12 Divisions will be involved.

RedandWhite

...didn't Iceland make it to the semis last time around?
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.

btharner

...didn't Iceland make it to the semis last time around?
You might be thinking of Euro 2016 where they reached the quarterfinals.

RedandWhite

...yes, that’s what I was thinking about

DAN38

I find it surprising that Italy and The Netherlands are not in the tourney. Equally surprising that Poland and Switzerland are.

alphamale111

Sadly my backup team to Canada - Ireland did not qualify either. I was over in Ireland when they played the two game home and home series that led to elimination against Denmark. After game 1 in Denmark it was quite the party on a Saturday night in Dublin after a 0 - 0 tie.

But Game 2 back in Dublin it was lots of tears in lots of pints of Guiness as Denmark romped 5-1.
Great news!!! We were awarded the 2026 World Cup! 

TravelPat1

That's great news for Canadian soccer! Should be a boost for both the CPL and MLS.

Should mean further upgrades to and expansion of BMO Field between now and 2026 if Toronto wants to host games since the FIFA requirement is a 40,000 seat minimum.

DAN38

So will each of the hosting countries get a automatic berth ? If so, we better get going on a team.

PTBO Dave

Great news!!! We were awarded the 2026 World Cup!
That is awesome news. I was in Seoul for the 2002 World Cup, and it was an amazing event.

sambo42

So will each of the hosting countries get a automatic berth ? If so, we better get going on a team.
 I believe that the host countries... Canada, Mexico & the US get automatic berths into the World Cup

TravelPat1

I believe so - which would have been an issue with a 32 team tournament but I've heard the World Cup is expanding to 48 teams. So 3 hosting teams getting automatic berths - not as much of an issue. 

As for the quality of the team - we seem to be moving in the right direction as more talent is developed from MLS team academies and other programs.  We've moved from being ranked 117 two years ago to 79 now. It will be interesting to see how the men's team does under John Herdman.

I noticed this article the other day regarding the TFC Academy. 

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/06/07/toronto-fc-academy-joins-us-soccer-development-academy

Toronto FC announced today that the TFC Academy’s application to join the U.S. Soccer Development Academy (USSDA) for the 2018-19 season has officially been accepted by US Soccer. Toronto FC will field three teams (U-19, U-17, U-15) beginning play in September 2018.
“Our goal for Toronto FC is to eventually have the core of our roster built with local Canadian talent that has developed within our Academy,” said Toronto FC General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. “In order to ensure that happens we need our players to regularly play against the best competition in North America both as a development tool and a measuring stick.”
The USSDA was founded in 2007 with the intent of creating an environment to assist in maximizing youth player development. The USSDA currently comprises of 197-member clubs now including all 23 MLS Academies. TFC will join both the Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps as the only Canadian members of the USSDA.
“In addition to the pro environment we create at BMO Training Ground with our first team, TFC II and our academy training together, playing in the USSDA will set us apart,” said TFC Assistant Academy Director Anthony Capotosto. “Our academy players will be heavily scouted and get  exposure to international competition that will aid in their development and create opportunities to play professionally and at the university level in both Canada and the U.S. “

Users Online

110 Guests, 23 Users (21 Spiders, 6 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
bobo82, tcmike, OskeeweeneeVI, sully, Lennywasout, Hamilton2005, Onemoredork, Grover, Lyle B. Style, Cool, brianjoxx, papazoola, 2ez, TravelPat1, AlsPal, FormerlyTurkish, Killer91, Google (AdSense) (10), Google (11)

Most Online Today: 157. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)