TravelPat1

Pickford forced to a couple of great saves - but otherwise England dominate and are on to the semi-finals.

And back in England - they're going wild!

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1015604648923844613

rshmglsky

I'm guessing they're glad they didn't boycott Putin's world cup.

TravelPat1

Hey if Russia upset Croatia - the English would meet the Russians in a semi-final.  That could make for some interesting interactions in the political VIP boxes.  

rshmglsky

Putin better have those suitcases delivered.

DAN38

Croatia is by far the better team. Control, TOP and skill. Russia just plays the TRAP ! They flop a lot more too. Maybe that Brazilian defect is schooling them.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

Abendschan

Semi-Final updated as Brazil has been knocked out,

France vs Belgium - France
Croatia vs England - England

WC 2018 Winner,

France vs England - England

3rd Place Winner,

Belgium vs Croatia - Belgium

FootbalYouBet

well, the streak had to end some time. Now 11 for 12.

so glad Russia lost, so bummed that England won

England beats Croatia
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

it is not how much you love but how well you love

why be part of the solution when you can be part of the problem

FootbalYouBet

ok, but if the teams change I will re predict :)

Belgium over  Sweden for the gold

France over Croatia for bronze
ok, Belgium over England for the gold

ArgoT

My team won in an exciting game, again on penalty kicks.
We are going to have to be much better against England on Wednesday who were very dominant against a poor Swedish team.

DAN38

My team won in an exciting game, again on penalty kicks.
We are going to have to be much better against England on Wednesday who were very dominant against a poor Swedish team.
   I'm with ya ArgoT. The last goal Russia scored should not have been. It was a chintzy call against Croatia. Serendipity that the Brazilian who took the kick also missed the goal on penalty.

I am surprised that weren't more Russians with names ending in 'OV'. Their hockey teams are loaded with them.

Easiest job in the world must be a soccer announcer. All he has to do is say the name of the guy with the ball. Very boring to listen to.

Don't worry about England. Like Sweden they are lucky to have been this far. Croatia plays a helluva game and fair too !

Belgium vs Croatia for all the marbles.

ArgoT

I'm with ya ArgoT. The last goal Russia scored should not have been. It was a chintzy call against Croatia. Serendipity that the Brazilian who took the kick also missed the goal on penalty.

I am surprised that weren't more Russians with names ending in 'OV'. Their hockey teams are loaded with them.

Easiest job in the world must be a soccer announcer. All he has to do is say the name of the guy with the ball. Very boring to listen to.

Don't worry about England. Like Sweden they are lucky to have been this far. Croatia plays a helluva game and fair too !

Belgium vs Croatia for all the marbles.
Thanks Dan, I agree with you on the tying goal.
Also, for the final of Belgium vs Croatia.

TravelPat1

OK - so 4 for 4 in the quarter-final choices. 

Gutsy performance by Croatia - especially their goalie to win - but because it is their second straight really rough taxing game - combined with England already having rested almost all their top 11 in the Belgium game earlier and having a much easier game today - I'm switching my pick to England in that semi-final. I think they'll be the much fresher team. 

And just as an aside - the free kick that set-up the Russian tying goal in extra time - that was a clear hand ball - that deserved the yellow card. As the FOX announcer said - 'yeah that's a yellow card - definite deliberate attempt to play it with his arm'. 

So my semi-final choice remains Belgium in their game - but now England over Croatia in the other game with Belgium still winning the Cup and France still winning the 3rd place game. 

DAN38

OK - so 4 for 4 in the quarter-final choices.

Gutsy performance by Croatia - especially their goalie to win - but because it is their second straight really rough taxing game - combined with England already having rested almost all their top 11 in the Belgium game earlier and having a much easier game today - I'm switching my pick to England in that semi-final. I think they'll be the much fresher team.

And just as an aside - the free kick that set-up the Russian tying goal in extra time - that was a clear hand ball - that deserved the yellow card. As the FOX announcer said - 'yeah that's a yellow card - definite deliberate attempt to play it with his arm'.

So my semi-final choice remains Belgium in their game - but now England over Croatia in the other game with Belgium still winning the Cup and France still winning the 3rd place game.
  Let's see some vid, Pat. You're more adept than I at putting it here. To me it looked like the ball was drilled at him. Hard to avoid. I always thought that an unintentional use of the hand/arm should be disregarded.
   What is the rule ? Can any part of the arm touch ?

TravelPat1

Hey Dan - If I find video I'll post it - but on one replay he clearly sticks his left elbow out to make contact with the ball - the entire arm is considered a hand ball.  

It is ruled a handall if the arm is moved to the ball or the arm is considered to be in an unnatural position when the ball hits it such as up in the air over your head or way out to the sides.  

In the case of the call on the Croatian player the infraction was considered so deliberate he even got a yellow card on the play.. 

ArgoT

Hey Dan - If I find video I'll post it - but on one replay he clearly sticks his left elbow out to make contact with the ball - the entire arm is considered a hand ball.  

It is ruled a handall if the arm is moved to the ball or the arm is considered to be in an unnatural position when the ball hits it such as up in the air over your head or way out to the sides.  

In the case of the call on the Croatian player the infraction was considered so deliberate he even got a yellow card on the play..
Now that you mention it, I did see the Croatian player stick out his elbow to play the ball.
Clearly a free kick the other way.

Users Online

105 Guests, 11 Users (17 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
StampsRock!, Abendschan, rshmglsky, Grover, Mightygoose, JoeyT, Mr., Count Floyd, Google (AdSense) (6), Google (11)

Most Online Today: 156. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)