Hank01

I am going to stick to my winning formula of doing 1 round at a time :)

Uraguay - France: Want Uraguay, expect France, 65% confident

Brazil - Belgium: Either is great for me, expect Belgium,  51% confident

Russia - Croatia: Want Croatia, expect Croatia,  pure guess as I haven't seen Russia play

Sweden - England: Really want Sweden, expect Sweden, 55% confident
 Yes but now you can't really have bragging rights (for what they are worth )  as you have not predicted the entire bracket your waiting for the winners to emerge from each round .

Have some fun go for it FYB and spread the word . 

Your pretty good at it and is all shlitz and giggles anyhow  .

ArgoT

My 3rd place winner is Sweden.

FootbalYouBet

Yes but now you can't really have bragging rights (for what they are worth )  as you have not predicted the entire bracket your waiting for the winners to emerge from each round .

Have some fun go for it FYB and spread the word .

Your pretty good at it and is all shlitz and giggles anyhow  .

ok, but if the teams change I will re predict :)

Belgium over  Sweden for the gold

France over Croatia for bronze
Crush cream soda is oh so good.  I think I'll have another

it is not how much you love but how well you love

why be part of the solution when you can be part of the problem

TravelPat1

France
Belgium
England
Croatia

Belgium
Croatia

Belgium
I'll add England to win over France in the 3rd place game. 

More confident now with my France over Uruguay pick in today's first game now that it has been confirmed that Uruguay's leading scorer in this tournament - Edinson Cavani - is out with injury.  

TravelPat1

Vive la France!  Into the semi-finals they go with their 2-0 win over Uruguay today.

Next up - what should be the best matchup of the quarter-finals. The two highest ranked teams remaining. FIFA ranked # 2 - Brazil versus # 3 Belgium.  Can't wait! 

ArgoT

Vive la France!  Into the semi-finals they go with their 2-0 win over Uruguay today.

Next up - what should be the best matchup of the quarter-finals. The two highest ranked teams remaining. FIFA ranked # 2 - Brazil versus # 3 Belgium.  Can't wait!
What a boring game that was.
I hope the French get knocked out in the semis as they are hard to watch, no imagination at all.

TravelPat1

Brazil is going to need a big comeback if they are going to get through.   2 - 0 for Belgium at halftime. 

FootbalYouBet

well now, unfortunately my streak is still alive at 10 for 10.

got up early to watch the first game, didn't like how Uruguay was playing and by half time I had decided that France was going to win and went back to sleep.  Not surprised Uruguay did not score.

only watched the last 35 minutes of the second game.  Surprised to find myself cheering against Brazil for the first time in 45 years.  Didn't like how Belgium played the end of the game.  It was like watching a CFL prevent D.  Came close to backfiring on them.

ArgoT

Now that was an exciting game.
As much as I do not like Belgium, I am glad Brasil is out as I can't stand that faker Naymar.

btharner

It's going to be a busy night for the morgues in Rio. I once read that the city's suicide rate increases 10X whenever Brazil is eliminated from the World Cup. 

FootbalYouBet

It's going to be a busy night for the morgues in Rio. I once read that the city's suicide rate increases 10X whenever Brazil is eliminated from the World Cup.
sorry, but I do not think it is very nice to speculate about such

btharner

It's not a matter of being nice or speculative and I am not making light of the subject. It's an uncomfortable truth that many do not want to admit, that attachments to teams and athletes become the sole source of hope to some people in despair and when those hopes fail to materialize, the person loses all desire to carry on. Sadly, sometimes real life issues and our fun and games become intertwined. 

TravelPat1

I admit - I jokingly- and yes probably insensitively - made a comment along the lines of 'the suicide rate is about to go up in Brazil' to colleagues at work when I saw that Belgium had gone up 2 - 0. And they immediately knew by saying that was my way of saying Belgium had just scored again. 

This article discusses how sports and depression can be a deadly mix for not only fans but athletes too. And that winning can have the reverse impact.

http://theconversation.com/suicide-rates-and-world-cup-results-beyond-the-numbers-game-28114

Several studies appear to show quite noticeable associations between hosting and performance at World Cups and suicide rates.
When France hosted (and won) the football World Cup in 1998, the suicide rate dropped by more than 10%, particularly among men aged between 30-44. On the day following each France game, the rate dropped even further.
Likewise, when New Zealand hosted and won the rugby World Cup in 2012, there were reports that the suicide rate there dropped to almost zero.

The case is clear that sport is a double-edged sword.
On the one hand, sport is able to unite nations and groups of fans and forming social bonds that can prevent or reduce depression.
But on the other hand, sport can be a real breeding ground for depression.

DAN38

Facts are facts. It's easy to see how these people are affected by their country's loss, look at all the little children they show crying their eyes out when their team is eliminated. If you train kids to act this way, what do you think the adult response will be ?

I said earlier in this thread that some fan's reactions are called passion. I call it nuts. It reminds me of some people's reactions to other events. They tear their clothes and scratch their faces and pull out their hair. I call that nuts too.

I think EVERYONE needs to remember "It's just a game !"
Si vis pacem... para bellum

If you think you can't when you can, you won't.
If you think you can when you can't, you just might.

TravelPat1

It is just a game - you are right Dan.  But it sure is fun when your team wins. Just ask people in Antwerp yesterday. 

https://www.newsr.in/video/20180706/10273123/Antwerp-Fan-Village-Erupts-After-Kevin-De-Bruyne.htm

Where will the celebrations be today?   London or Stockholm, Zagreb or Moscow? We're about to find out.  

Users Online

101 Guests, 10 Users (17 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Abendschan, rshmglsky, Grover, Mightygoose, JoeyT, Mr., Count Floyd, Google (AdSense) (6), Google (11)

Most Online Today: 156. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)