idealsheldon

Herb's story on Scannella:

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/joe-scannella-1928-2018-ex-alouettes-coach-enjoyed-60-year-career
I didn`t remember his smoking habit, kind of reminiscent of Guy Lafleur between periods.

The Als had a Head Coach in 1966, Darrell Mudra, 7-7 record, who coached from the press box rather than sidelines. He could have downed a couple of brews during the game and no one would have known.  
I`m not always right, I just think I am.

MadJack

Ah, the 1966 Als. . . led by a burned out Bernie Faloney at QB (after we traded half the darn team to acquire him) backed up by the incomparable George Bork.

At least we had a half decent running game, Bob Paremore, Don Lisbon, and J.W. Lockett.

idealsheldon

And another fairly decent player was Phil Brady who played 2 ways as a RB/DB.

MadJack

Yes, there were some decent players on that roster; John Baker my favourite defensive end in my youth; Larry Fairholm in the secondary, and Donnie Davis at receiver.

tony

Yes, there were some decent players on that roster; John Baker my favourite defensive end in my youth; Larry Fairholm in the secondary, and Donnie Davis at receiver.
Larry Fairholm, a name I remember  ;)

MadJack

Faintly amusing story comes to mind regarding John Baker.

I was in high school; it's 1969; Als played Hamilton and during this particular game, Hamilton's then-backup qb, named John Eckman (do not recall why he was playing; Zuger must have been injured), threw a pass that Baker intercepted; there was only Eckman between Baker and the end zone; Baker did not run around Eckman, he simply bowled him over (260 pounds against 195) and scored a touchdown.

The following Monday in school, one of our teachers was absent and the replacement teacher was, get this, the very same John Eckman.

One of my classmates actually had the balls to ask him "Sir, why didn't you try to tackle Baker?"

Eckman's reply was a classic.

"Well. . . he's kinda big"

GHT120

John Baker ... my first favourite Alouette and the first athlete whose autograph I got ... he gave me terrific personal attention, he said: "Kid, your pen's running out of ink"
LOL
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

Johnny Ticat slayer

"Shut up Wesley!"   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7

idealsheldon

Not Alouettes related, but Expos related. Andre Dawson now owns and runs a funeral home!

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/hall-of-famer-andre-the-hawk-dawson-has-quietly-been-running-a-funeral-home-for-10-years/
Love the headline "Dawson has quietly been running a funeral home."

If it gets noisy then I guess he has a problem.

Users Online

132 Guests, 19 Users (28 Spiders, 5 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
RedandWhite, Iconic SR, TravelPat1, Augustus67, bwf029, Mightygoose, G Man, ExPat, KevinRiley2, Killer91, Lyle B. Style, Oskie18, oskee7777, tcmike, Google (AdSense) (12), Google (16)

Most Online Today: 189. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)