idealsheldon

Noel Devine has signed with Edmonton. Has he cured his fumbleitis?
I`m not always right, I just think I am.

slant

Quote from: "disciplineandpunish"

We got his best years in Montreal for fewer dollars IMO.

Sounds pretty cold.[/quote]

I know, but it's a business. And you can't say Montreal didn't treat him right. We drafted him, then gave him a chance to be a starting MLB in 2009 by cutting Reggie Hunt. He made his name with the Als and Popp actually wanted to re-sign him. But he chose to reunite with Burke in Toronto.[/quote]

Oh I know its a business.
No one suggested he wasn't treated well in Montreal but that has no bearing.
I was just thinking how you were suggesting that owners treat players like meat during your CBA points.
Just thought that your statement seemed cold and "meaty". Imagine if an owner stated that and the outrage that would ensue.

disciplineandpunish

Quote from: "slant"
I was just thinking how you were suggesting that owners treat players like meat during your CBA points.
Just thought that your statement seemed cold and "meaty". Imagine if an owner stated that and the outrage that would ensue.

I don't like the way players are treated, certainly, but we have the CBA we have, sadly. So, speaking as an Alouettes fan, I do feel that we got Emry's best years out of him (and I'm sure GMs and coaches have these kinds of "meaty" conversations behind closed doors all the time). What mitigates the coldness, to me, is the fact that the team didn't want Shea to leave. He went to the Argos of his own volition.

But yeah, it's a cold business. The people I really feel for are running backs. They take an insane physical pounding, career span of maybe five years if they're lucky (exceptions like Mike Pringle aside), then kicked to the curb the minute their physical skills decline because there are always younger, cheaper RBs to be had.
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson

LeStaf

Les Roughriders ont embauché Messam.  Fallait qu'ils soient vraiment mal pris.  Tant mieux pour Messam et souhaitons lui que ça fonctionne... sauf contre les Alouettes.
[size=150]For translation  ---->[/size]  http://translate.google.ca/

idealsheldon

Ed Gainey has been put on the Tiger Cats practice roster.

Seth Williams, Tim Maypray, Jeraill McCuller, in Ott.

Noel Devine in Edm.

Other teams recycling our players also.

idealsheldon

Arlan Bruce back making headlines - literally.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 12146.html

Where is the individual reponsibility in this? If he was suffering these described concussion systems why would he have agreed to suit up?

HfxTC

Quote from: "idealsheldon"
Arlan Bruce back making headlines - literally.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 12146.html

Where is the individual reponsibility in this? If he was suffering these described concussion systems why would he have agreed to suit up?

Seems kind of strange in many ways but who knows?

Can a heavily concussed individual make that decision for himself ? Why can oficials and doctors stop a fight in boxing or MMA ?

Interesting that the CFLPA during the CBA negotiations tried to get a doctor would be present on the sidelines to make those decisions, maybe this is an issue and players feel pressured ? Or maybe they knew this was coming down the pipeline ?
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

disciplineandpunish

Quote from: "idealsheldon"
Ed Gainey has been put on the Tiger Cats practice roster.

Seth Williams, Tim Maypray, Jeraill McCuller, in Ott.

Noel Devine in Edm.

Other teams recycling our players also.

Ottawa's an expansion team, different case altogether. But my original point was about us recycling our own players after they'd played for other teams.

MadJack

Quote from: "disciplineandpunish"
But my original point was about us recycling our own players after they'd played for other teams.

Maybe Popp is trying to find a silver lining here.  Maybe he thinks that these recycled players may have picked up some useful pointers from the coaches under whom they played in the other places they went; maybe some coaching lessons they got that they won't get from Higgins, and can bring new insight to our team.

How's that for dreaming?

HfxTC

Its just about getting the right mix of vets and rookies.

Niagara Als

I heard  the guys broadcasting tonight not that Arland Bruce wanted to play another season with the Als. If he is so unsure of his health, it makes no sense that he would have played another season.

tony

Quote from: "Niagara Als"
I heard  the guys broadcasting tonight not that Arland Bruce wanted to play another season with the Als. If he is so unsure of his health, it makes no sense that he would have played another season.

TSN showed yesterday, a clip of when Bruce ended up with the concussion. (Lions vs Riders). He was on the sidelines afterwards and was telling the coaching staff he wanted to get back in and play after going through some tests.
It was the Lions coaching staff that held him out from getting back on the field.

GHT120

Quote from: "tony"
Quote from: "Niagara Als"

TSN showed yesterday, a clip of when Bruce ended up with the concussion. (Lions vs Riders). He was on the sidelines afterwards and was telling the coaching staff he wanted to get back in and play after going through some tests.
It was the Lions coaching staff that held him out from getting back on the field.

But as said above, a concussed player cannot make a rationale decision.  Most players always want to go back in, and the NHL seems to be seeing cases of players "fudging" the concussion protocol and not be honest with the doctors to get back not he ice.  I doubt football players are any difference.

But harder for a player in recent season to make the claim that teams hid the consequences of concussions.  It is been a very public issue in sports in general for some time now.
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

AlsPhil

Dwight Anderson and Shea Emry...our gain is Toronto's loss.

idealsheldon

Our former slotback and Trestman favorite Andrew Hawkins makes some news:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/f ... e22115506/

Users Online

109 Guests, 14 Users (12 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
-Hammer-, toddstattoo, Chris_87, everyman, bobo82, dcmoses, Taleback, DisplacedCatsFan, MtnCat, ed ohmnes, Mightygoose, Lyle B. Style, Stampeder67, Yahoo!, Google (10), Baidu

Most Online Today: 154. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)