tony

I sure hope that Reed and company keep one of the young "guns" around long enough to have him mentored and developed.
The organization has done a piss poor job in this area for years, even when AC was the starter.
Why is it teams like the Lions, Stamps, Esks are able to bring in young talent at this position who end up being quality starters?!

HfxTC

Wow! A player the Riders were going to cut and a pair of mid round picks for a young QB who won his first 3 starts.
I"ve seen enough...
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

CFL in QC

Wow! A player the Riders were going to cut and a pair of mid round picks for a young QB who won his first 3 starts.
I"ve seen enough...
If he's that good, remember that he could very well be an available free agent in 2 years... I think Durant is better than him, at least for the next 2 years...

nguyenMTL

RIDER QB'S

Kevin Glenn - was on the Als opening day starter in 2016.  He didn't win enough games and fans wanted the team to go a different direction.

Brandon Bridge - Started 2016 as the Als 3rd string QB.  Released by Jim Popp after he refused a pay cut as well as being classified as being a project.

Marquise Williams - Was on the Als neg list in 2016.  Kavis Reed dropped him when he took over GM duties.

Vernon Adams - Started as the 4th string QB for the Als in 2016.  Rumor is he can't read defenses.  His passing  ability is marginal, and his size is not ideal for a short yardage QB.  Poor pre-season numbers did not help his case.
Marquise Williams would have been an interesting prospect for Montreal. He went to UNC and broke all of Durant's records during his time there.

nguyenMTL

I"ve seen enough...
Well Jonathan Crompton won 8 of his 9 first starts...

HfxTC

Yeah, yeah, yeah and then the 29 year old was allowed to fail. I have yet to see ONE import recruit to make a contribution. Even his draft picks can't even contribute on ST. He's turffed SJ who has more yards than Jackson,might even be leading the league, Woods who has more tackles than Tovell with no training camp behind him, Ruby, Moore, Cash, Cato, Adams, Finlay, Perret, Shorthill. The collection of Hobos he's brought to Montreal have either not seen the field or already been released. Now he gives up a young QB who cost us an arm and a leg to acquire for a dumpster dive and a an extra mid-round pick. I swear this guy is the Wizard of Oz.

nguyenMTL

Yeah, yeah, yeah and then the 29 year old was allowed to fail. I have yet to see ONE import recruit to make a contribution. Even his draft picks can't even contribute on ST. He's turffed SJ who has more yards than Jackson,might even be leading the league, Woods who has more tackles than Tovell with no training camp behind him, Ruby, Moore, Cash, Cato, Adams, Finlay, Perret, Shorthill. The collection of Hobos he's brought to Montreal have either not seen the field or already been released. Now he gives up a young QB who cost us an arm and a leg to acquire for a dumpster dive and a an extra mid-round pick. I swear this guy is the Wizard of Oz.
1) Import recruit: I see some import recruits making important contribution, mainly Durant, Simmons, Olafioye, E. Jackson, Dozier and Tovell.

2) With hindsight, it is easy to say that it would be better with SJ than with Ernest, but the thing is that there was a 50/50 chance that SJ could turn out into a post-injury Jamel Richardson 2.0.

3) You're right about Kavis' decisions being quite wacky. 

My main grievances are: releasing Woods instead of Cox, going all in with 2 National DT, releasing M. Jackson who's doing great in Toronto, releasing Ruby while Sean Jamieson isn't ready whatsover, keeping Phillips over J. Johnson, keeping Pierczalski and Haidara over Alex Morrison.

4) It is not Kavis' fault if Jim Popp decided to give up the Als' 1st round pick for Dan Lefevour 2.0.

HfxTC

Those players are veteran free agents. Guys like Dozier are Popp guys.

As for SJ there was no reason not to have him and Jackson. Imagine that offense with SJ, Jackson and Cunnigham. We likely have one or two more wins. Then he's paying Plesius close to twice what Shorthill was making and doing the same job??? Then six QB ! Oromasionwu I think is working security on game day...

okie

Branden Dozier actually texted the Als and requested a workout.  While I believe Kavis Reed was the GM by them, I would not give him credit for "finding" Dozier.

“I sent him a text, told him my name and sent him my film and just told him I’d like to do a private workout with him,” Dozier said. “He watched my film, liked it and that next weekend we did a private workout. I ran a 40 and stuff for him and he liked me and they called me later that night and signed me. From then on it’s just been grinding it out and making the team.”

http://cjonline.com/sports/highschools/2017-07-27/rural-product-branden-dozier-finds-pro-football-home-cfl

We also know how Matt Shiltz ended up with the Als.

"I was working for Ernst & Young in Indianapolis when my agent called me in the middle of busy season (right around March). He told me that my name was brought up in conversation with management of the Alouettes and that they wanted to see me work out in Florida. One thing led to another and I chose to seize the opportunity and let the process shake out. Montreal ended up signing me and I haven't looked back. I am truly grateful for this opportunity."

http://butlersports.com/news/2017/8/9/catching-up-with-former-butlerufootball-quarterback-matt-shiltz.aspx

RichardVeilleux

It would be nice to have S.J.,Jackson and Cunningham but the MAIN PROBLEM the team would be OVER THE CAP BY NO LESS THAN $125,000. Add Bear Woods and you are talking a total of $225,000. to $250,000.

Easy to blame Kavis Reed after the facts, but decisions had to be taken and,in some instances, decisions were based on medical reports and also financial situation.

Injuries to Nat. players dictated the trade of Vernon Adams. As many as 9 Nat. players,including 4 Nat. starters, will be on injured lists this week. Kavis has or had to find players,otherwise there would have not been 21 Nat. players available this week.

Richard

disciplineandpunish

On the point of reducing national starters, I couldn't agree more! Injuries to Canadians make the game unwatchable. And let's not bring up Calgary, which is one team and an elite team at that. The vast majority of the time, when starting Canadians are injured, a team has to field scrubs just to maintain the ratio. It's ridiculous. I don't want guys who've been out of the game for a year or who were C-listers at best starting because we have to dress seven Canadians. Drop the number to six per team and we're good. This problem has been on full display since Ottawa came back into the league and it won't go away unless the ratio reflects the ACTUAL number of talented and available Canadian starters, not what we wish for in our heads.

If I have to watch some Canadian has-been pretending to be a receiver for a third of a season just to maintain a team's ratio, I'm going to lose my mind.
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson

Pocho

On the point of reducing national starters, I couldn't agree more! Injuries to Canadians make the game unwatchable. And let's not bring up Calgary, which is one team and an elite team at that. The vast majority of the time, when starting Canadians are injured, a team has to field scrubs just to maintain the ratio. It's ridiculous. I don't want guys who've been out of the game for a year or who were C-listers at best starting because we have to dress seven Canadians. Drop the number to six per team and we're good. This problem has been on full display since Ottawa came back into the league and it won't go away unless the ratio reflects the ACTUAL number of talented and available Canadian starters, not what we wish for in our heads.

If I have to watch some Canadian has-been pretending to be a receiver for a third of a season just to maintain a team's ratio, I'm going to lose my mind.
I totally agree. Of course, the Canadians should have a chance in the CFl however, as far as I know, a number of Canadian graduates every year prefer to sign with the NFL for obvious reasons (mostly $) and who can blame them. This situation means a depletion of the CFL talent pool which isn't numerous to start with. I believe seven national players per team is too much since it does affect the performance of any team at any time. I'm not an expert concerning the talent pool available therefore I can't honestly say if the number should be six or five.

HfxTC

It would be nice to have S.J.,Jackson and Cunningham but the MAIN PROBLEM the team would be OVER THE CAP BY NO LESS THAN $125,000. Add Bear Woods and you are talking a total of $225,000. to $250,000.

Easy to blame Kavis Reed after the facts, but decisions had to be taken and,in some instances, decisions were based on medical reports and also financial situation.

Injuries to Nat. players dictated the trade of Vernon Adams. As many as 9 Nat. players,including 4 Nat. starters, will be on injured lists this week. Kavis has or had to find players,otherwise there would have not been 21 Nat. players available this week.

Richard
I'm not blaming him after the fact. I was very precise and exact in my words when these two were removed.

HfxTC

I totally agree. Of course, the Canadians should have a chance in the CFl however, as far as I know, a number of Canadian graduates every year prefer to sign with the NFL for obvious reasons (mostly $) and who can blame them. This situation means a depletion of the CFL talent pool which isn't numerous to start with. I believe seven national players per team is too much since it does affect the performance of any team at any time. I'm not an expert concerning the talent pool available therefore I can't honestly say if the number should be six or five.
Players get to become starters by taking reps and playing. Some teams do well with their Canadians because they play them... At one point with one third the prospects there are today, there were 12 starters. We rolled it back to seven and now we want to roll it back again. That's no solution. The Solution would be to field X Americans on special teams. You have to start as many American on cover teams as you start on Offense and as many Americans on kicking teams as you do on defense.  That  would change the landscape.

Calgary spent four years grooming Cornish behind Reynolds. They had the guts to start Singleton right out of the gate.They developed a Canadian QB into a star receiver. That's why Huffnagel and Buono are in a class apart.

nguyenMTL

Why did we acquire Tevaughn Campbell, a DB who suited for team Canada's rugby 7s in 2017, if he can't be available for the game in Toronto? 

Users Online

91 Guests, 17 Users (10 Spiders, 4 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Mightygoose, GernB, Iconic SR, FootbalYouBet, RichardVeilleux, Abendschan, KevinRiley2, schmenger, DisplacedCatsFan, VICIOUSCIRCLE, ExPat, bobo82, letsgoticats, Yahoo!, Google (8), Baidu

Most Online Today: 154. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)