idealsheldon

I'm a UK American Football fan, and was wondering how british hopeful Lawrence Okoye was doing at training camp.

Okoye has been bouncing around NFL practice squads/training camps for years (IIRC he's been with 49ers/Cards/Jets/Cowboys/Dolphins/Bears since 2013).

He's physically a beast. 6ft 6, 300+lbs, with off the chart measurables for a DT.

But he's only ever been on training camp/practice rosters. He was at the 2012 olympics as a discus thrower, and didn't play football at all until he signed for the 49ers. Never even put pads on.

He didn't play a competitive game of football until he got to Montreal last year. He signed to the PS one week, was promoted to active roster the next,  played 1 game and....

...was cut the next day.

So I was a bit surprised to see him back in Montreal this year. Has he got a shot?

This is from an article this week on a guy he is competing with:

His competition will be stiff at camp. Alan-Michael Cash was recently signed as a free-agent after his release by Toronto, while defensive co-ordinator Rich Stubler is believed to be bullish on Lawrence Okoye, a 6-foot-6, 309 pounder. Also returning are Canadians Jabar Westerman and Fabion Foote, the Als’ top draft choice in 2017.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/alouettes-rookie-woody-baron-making-favourable-impression-with-coaches

It will likely come down to how he performs in the 2 pre-season games.
I`m not always right, I just think I am.

Johnny Ticat slayer

Anyway, supposedly there was a scrimmage today.  Wonder if Sheldon went.  Maybe he or someone else can give us their impressions of how the team looked.
There was no practice for today listed on the schedule. So if they had one they didn`t want me there. :)

The last 3-4 years they would hold an intra-squad game the 2nd Sunday of camp. Just a regular practice though on the schedule for tomorrow. Doubt if I`ll go unless my good friends Johnny and Mike want to join me. We can try to set up a meeting with Kavis. :)

But we will really only get a further indication of the team in the 2 pre-season games.
Thanks for the invitation Sheldon! Unfortunately, Johnny can't make it tomorrow. Maybe some other time, for a game or something.

Kavis Reed just got lucky. Johnny has some things to tell him...
"Shut up Wesley!"   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7

Johnny Ticat slayer

I'm a UK American Football fan, and was wondering how british hopeful Lawrence Okoye was doing at training camp.

Okoye has been bouncing around NFL practice squads/training camps for years (IIRC he's been with 49ers/Cards/Jets/Cowboys/Dolphins/Bears since 2013).

He's physically a beast. 6ft 6, 300+lbs, with off the chart measurables for a DT.

But he's only ever been on training camp/practice rosters. He was at the 2012 olympics as a discus thrower, and didn't play football at all until he signed for the 49ers. Never even put pads on.

He didn't play a competitive game of football until he got to Montreal last year. He signed to the PS one week, was promoted to active roster the next,  played 1 game and....

...was cut the next day.

So I was a bit surprised to see him back in Montreal this year. Has he got a shot?
4.78 seconds in the forty yard dash for a man his size is crazy good! Looks like he was a project back in 2013. He has the physical skills. Maybe with experience he can become a very good DT.

He certainly looks like a beast! He has a linebacker's build, but he is as big and heavy as a defensive tackle. 

RichardVeilleux

Today, the players wore their full uniform and simulated a few game situations at Stade Olympique; CFL officials were present and threw flags when needed. There were few.

The team added offensive tackle/guard Brandon Pertile to the roster. He's 6'5 and 325. Played at Oklahoma State and transferred to Virginia. 2017 was his last University season.

Richard

of course

Respectfully, speaking as a Ticat fan, the QB duo of Willy and Shiltz are not going to cut it for you guys. 

Montreal will have to add another, better QB from other CFL team's final cuts right before the start of the regular season, if that player exists. 

I don't care how improved your running game is, or how improved your O-Line is.  Without a decent QB to make it all come together, the Als will struggle.  Do you want to see TD's, or do you want a season where every drive hopefully ends in a Bede field goal attempt?

FYI: I think you willhave to compete with Winnipeg for any decent QB that becomes available when final training camp cuts are announced.  I'm not a believer in Matt Nichols as a legit starter, either.  And if Nichols gets banged up, Winnipeg doesn't currently have a decent backup to jump in there.

Grover

Yup! Why could it not have been a simple retirement or release? The Als say Freeman retired, Freeman says no. Why is everything with Reed murky and unclear?  ::)
In a day or two it will show-up on the transaction wire as either "DEL" or "TFR to RETIRED".

Of course, if Freeman wants to play elsewhere he would want it to be a release not a retirement. A retirement doesn't get him out of his contract until the contract term expires.
I think this is about signing money. Kavis probably gave him a bag of Wetencash and they probably want it back in exchange for his full release.
Freeman had no signing bonus

Didier Orméjuste @DidierRDS

Josh Freeman n’avait pas de boni. Son salaire de base était de $70 000.  / Josh Freeman didn’t have a signing bonus. His base salary was $70k. #Alouettes

7:55 AM - May 27, 2018

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

HfxTC

Respectfully, speaking as a Ticat fan, the QB duo of Willy and Shiltz are not going to cut it for you guys.

Montreal will have to add another, better QB from other CFL team's final cuts right before the start of the regular season, if that player exists.

I don't care how improved your running game is, or how improved your O-Line is.  Without a decent QB to make it all come together, the Als will struggle.  Do you want to see TD's, or do you want a season where every drive hopefully ends in a Bede field goal attempt?

FYI: I think you willhave to compete with Winnipeg for any decent QB that becomes available when final training camp cuts are announced.  I'm not a believer in Matt Nichols as a legit starter, either.  And if Nichols gets banged up, Winnipeg doesn't currently have a decent backup to jump in there.
There are no QB's that will be cut that are any better than what the Als have now. The Als can't credibly bring back Glenn. Adams is in the last year of his contract, after being skrewed over by Kavis, he's not going to extend. Guys like Monise are no better than Shitz or Fugate. It is time for this team to develop its own QB.

Sherman wants his QB to be able to run for a first down so Shitz, Pipkin and Fugate could all fit those needs they just need to develop them and that means meaningful reps and game time.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

GHT120

...was cut the next day.

Once upon a time he would have had a HUGE plus going for him, in that he would have been designated a Canadian/National for ratio purposes ... allowing a team to perhaps take him on as a project ... but now he is an International and competing against far 4 more experienced International DTs. 
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

GHT120

... Adams is in the last year of his contract, after being skrewed over by Kavis, he's not going to extend ...
More importantly, he has yet to show anything more than his being a decent/good short yardage QB.

idealsheldon

Herb Zurkowsky
@HerbZurkowsky1

Pat Donovan, who resigned last week as head coach of the Concordia Stingers, will be joining #Als as an assistant coach, likely helping brother Mickey, who’s the special teams co-ordinator

idealsheldon

Herb Zurkowsky‏ 
@HerbZurkowsky1

Actually, Chip Cox was on the sideline, not in uniform. And he just left.

HfxTC

...was cut the next day.

Once upon a time he would have had a HUGE plus going for him, in that he would have been designated a Canadian/National for ratio purposes ... allowing a team to perhaps take him on as a project ... but now he is an International and competing against far 4 more experienced International DTs.
But apparently the Als Dline coach likes him a lot... He may surprise.

HfxTC

Herb Zurkowsky
@HerbZurkowsky1

Actually, Chip Cox was on the sideline, not in uniform. And he just left.
Probably could not come to terms on the money. Will probably show up in Toronto in the next couple days.

HfxTC

... Adams is in the last year of his contract, after being skrewed over by Kavis, he's not going to extend ...
More importantly, he has yet to show anything more than his being a decent/good short yardage QB.
He won three more games in three starts. More than all the Als QB put together.

okie

Last year, the Als played 1 import DT at most due to the ratio.  This year, they are expected to utilize 2 import DT's which means Lawrence Okoye has a better chance of remaining on the team just because the team would need backups.  I suspect the starting DT's will be Alan-Michael Cash and Woody Baron.

Users Online

112 Guests, 20 Users (14 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Lyle B. Style, MtlerinVan, bobo82, SeaFiddle, chiefdkm, brianjoxx, ExPat, Slomojo2005, Onemoredork, SteelCitySteve, Dr.Whiskey, ticat1, ticatbill, GHT120, chosa84, Wumper, 2ez, FootbalYouBet, Google (AdSense) (8), Google (5), Baidu

Most Online Today: 168. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)