idealsheldon

And I just heard that in appreciation for all the talent he has been responsible for bringing to the Argos, MLSE will be erecting a statue of Andrew Wetenhall at the entrance to BMO Field.
I`m not always right, I just think I am.

mike2579

Calvillo didn’t leave on his own, they probably payed him to leave and not say he was fired. 

I think im gonna buy a Argos jersey. So many fun players on that team to watch, and so much talent including our bloody ex coaches! 
Proud Montreal Alouette season ticket holder since 2004. Former Section C2 Row 9, but got tired of missing circus catches in the endzone cuz of a stupid wall! New section M1 row 11!! Few steps away from the mens room!

Bruno31

Bof, sérieusement, Calvillo a eu de nombreuses possibilités comme coach avec les Alouettes et a-t-il relevé le défi? Pas du tout. Il part! Tant pis! C’est bien beau le passé, mais à un moment donné, il faut regarder en avant. 

tony

Bof, sérieusement, Calvillo a eu de nombreuses possibilités comme coach avec les Alouettes et a-t-il relevé le défi? Pas du tout. Il part! Tant pis! C’est bien beau le passé, mais à un moment donné, il faut regarder en avant.
Ah oui?  Combien d entraineurs chef est ce que l equipe a eu depuis que Trestman est parti?!|
AC a eu la chance d etre l entraineur des quarts arrieres, l organisation a change leur idee et lui a mis comme cordinateur. Et encore avec le changement avec le chef entrainuer, ah AC on veut que tu monte en haut comme entraineur des quarts arrieres.

Il n a jamais eu la chance ici d apprendre la position avant de lui changer.

Avec Trestman, sur et certain il va avoir la chance d apprendre et on vera.

Tant pis que l organisation a manque le bateau.

Iconic SR

Anthony Calvillo and Trestman back together again can only produce fruit. Good luck AC.

idealsheldon

We will all be watching with interest to see how Calvillo the coach develops. To be honest, despite being stuck in dysfunctional environments for the most part, there was nothing positive that jumped out during his Als coaching stint. Neither in play calling or QB development. However, he cannot be in better hands now than with Trestman.

It`s kind of hard to judge assistant coaches though. I could never get a read on Marcus Brady. He was so quiet and unassuming on the sidelines, hiding behind his low profile ballcap. The Colts hiring him, however, has validated him to me, which obviously shouldn`t be the reason.  

HfxTC

We will all be watching with interest to see how Calvillo the coach develops. To be honest, despite being stuck in dysfunctional environments for the most part, there was nothing positive that jumped out during his Als coaching stint. Neither in play calling or QB development. However, he cannot be in better hands now than with Trestman.

It`s kind of hard to judge assistant coaches though. I could never get a read on Marcus Brady. He was so quiet and unassuming on the sidelines, hiding behind his low profile ballcap. The Colts hiring him, however, has validated him to me, which obviously shouldn`t be the reason.  
I wish him the best, but I've seen many interviews over his playing career where you could see the borderline disdain for the coaching profession. To be successful in that profession you need to do it more than for a paycheck...
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

jkm

Well, the links to past greatness, i.e. Calvillo, Trestman, and Popp are now gone!  And what do we have to replace them?  Not much.  Looks like 2018 is shaping up to be another dismal season.

Thank God for the Fighting Irish coming off a Citrus Bowl W.  I look forward to some exciting football with them!  

The Als?  I hope for the best.

mike2579

Ive never been so i dont care about sports in Montreal in my whole life. Habs, Impact and Alouettes...really couldn’t care less...and i once owned season tickets for each one of those teams...

tony

Ive never been so i dont care about sports in Montreal in my whole life. Habs, Impact and Alouettes...really couldn’t care less...and i once owned season tickets for each one of those teams...
Meanwhile, two of four sports teams in Toronto coming off championship seasons, one near the top (Raptors) and the other (Leafs) not far behind.

Niagara Als

I am delighted that AC has been invited to become an assistant coach with Trestman. He will be under a coach who himself is a guru in offensive football. Without doubt Treatman made the decision to engage AC as QB coach. That is real honor for Calvillo and, I bet he is quite happy with this invitation. Best wishes to you AC.

EZ Football

If AC wants to coach he should leave the CFL and be a volunteer coach at some American high school.  This will require him and his family to relocate.

That being said, is his family happy enough in Montreal?  Good schools there?  Standard of living ok there in Montreal?

FirstAnd10

I personally believe that Calvillo gave it his best shot in Montreal.  The problem is that the coaching staff at the time was in a constant state of flux.  I do hope the new regime will bring stability.

Calvillo will do extremely well under Trestman.

G Man

I find it sad that some think Calvillo doesn't care, only doing it for the money or what have you. His coaching career was mis-managed by the Als from day 1, he stuck with it for years anyway.. but at some point enough is enough.
He, like Raiche, has no faith in Reed and decided to leave because of it.. not surprising to see them resurface in Toronto with the likes of Popp & Trestman, the respective mentors.

Calvillo was a student of the game when he played, his success came from understanding the game much more than god given skill or physical abilty.. moving on to coaching is a natural progression from that. He just needed an environment in which to learn/grow, and MTL has been anything but.
His intention was to look at coaching opportunities in the CIS after taking some time off, the US wasn't an option as his life is in Montreal now. But I can understand the lure of joining Trestman's staff, an opportunity he couldn't pass up and good for him if that's the case.

I still think that at the end of the day, down the road, a more experienced Calvillo will eventually return to the Als.. when the conditions are right.

HfxTC

I find it sad that some think Calvillo doesn't care, only doing it for the money or what have you. His coaching career was mis-managed by the Als from day 1, he stuck with it for years anyway.. but at some point enough is enough.
He, like Raiche, has no faith in Reed and decided to leave because of it.. not surprising to see them resurface in Toronto with the likes of Popp & Trestman, the respective mentors.

Calvillo was a student of the game when he played, his success came from understanding the game much more than god given skill or physical abilty.. moving on to coaching is a natural progression from that. He just needed an environment in which to learn/grow, and MTL has been anything but.
His intention was to look at coaching opportunities in the CIS after taking some time off, the US wasn't an option as his life is in Montreal now. But I can understand the lure of joining Trestman's staff, an opportunity he couldn't pass up and good for him if that's the case.

I still think that at the end of the day, down the road, a more experienced Calvillo will eventually return to the Als.. when the conditions are right.
Look, they are his own words. You can't go from disdain for the profession to wanting to do it as your dream job in the span of two months. Coaching football is even more demanding than playing it.

Being a student of the game doesn't make you a teacher of the game either. Having said that he may make a decent QB coach. Not overwhelmingly demanding compared to OC or HC and he can take six months a year off.

Users Online

91 Guests, 7 Users (12 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
MrLucky, RedandWhite, Stampeder67, Grover, J5V, Google (AdSense) (4), Google (8)

Most Online Today: 153. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)