Poll

Should Chapdelaine return as HC if the Alouettes finish with 7 wins or less?

Yes
46.7%
7 (46.7%)
No
53.3%
8 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Johnny Ticat slayer

We all know Chapdelaine will not be fired during the season. But, if the Alouettes get 7 wins total, or less, should he return as head coach for 2018?
"Shut up Wesley!"   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7

GHT120

I would like to say "no" because I am not happy with the play calling and discipline ... but if Kavis is as weak a GM as many feel, what coach of any quality would sign on?  

Have nothing but respect for Wettenhal, but Hawkins was a disaster pick to replace Trestmen, even if MT left late in the coaching hire cycle.  Then letting Popp stay in contention for the 2014 HC spot left the non-football guys to their own devices to select ..... Higgins.  Popp should either have been told he was GM only (which might have stung his ego enough for him to quit) or have been let go after the 2013 season ..... but hindsight is 20/20.

Unless the team is sold or Bob steps aside entirely, along with the rest of the "veteran" executive (Paul Harris and George A. Cohon), I expect both Reed and Chapdelaine will be back.
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

jkm

We all know Chapdelaine will not be fired during the season. But, if the Alouettes get 7 wins total, or less, should he return as head coach for 2018?
Almost sounds like a FIRE CHAPDELAINE post to me, on the eve of their annual blowout in BC.

What a pathetic bunch of dweebs! 

idealsheldon

If I have an issue with Chapdelaine, it would be Chapdelaine the Offensive Co-Ordinator, not necessarily Chapdelaine the Head Coach. Is he capable of running an effective offense?

But then I start to ask myself if Chapdelaine the Offensive Co-Ordinator is handicapped by lack of talent on the o-line (also due to injuries) and receiving corps. Would any other Offensive Co-Ordinator be doing better with the same Als offense?

For the same reason, unlike others I am not ready to write Darian Durant off. He is not an elite QB, but with a proper supporting cast he is capable of winning games.

Bottom line on Chapdelaine - I am copping out and will only vote at the end of the season.
I`m not always right, I just think I am.

mike2579

Almost sounds like a FIRE CHAPDELAINE post to me, on the eve of their annual blowout in BC.

What a pathetic bunch of dweebs!

Its a friday sit back with a bag of mrs vickies Jalapeño chips and a case of beer and have a chuckle. 
Proud Montreal Alouette season ticket holder since 2004. Former Section C2 Row 9, but got tired of missing circus catches in the endzone cuz of a stupid wall! New section M1 row 11!! Few steps away from the mens room!

tony

I would like to say "no" because I am not happy with the play calling and discipline ... but if Kavis is as weak a GM as many feel, what coach of any quality would sign on?  

Have nothing but respect for Wettenhal, but Hawkins was a disaster pick to replace Trestmen, even if MT left late in the coaching hire cycle.  Then letting Popp stay in contention for the 2014 HC spot left the non-football guys to their own devices to select ..... Higgins.  Popp should either have been told he was GM only (which might have stung his ego enough for him to quit) or have been let go after the 2013 season ..... but hindsight is 20/20.

Unless the team is sold or Bob steps aside entirely, along with the rest of the "veteran" executive (Paul Harris and George A. Cohon), I expect both Reed and Chapdelaine will be back.
Sadly, you are probably right.

tony

If I have an issue with Chapdelaine, it would be Chapdelaine the Offensive Co-Ordinator, not necessarily Chapdelaine the Head Coach. Is he capable of running an effective offense?

But then I start to ask myself if Chapdelaine the Offensive Co-Ordinator is handicapped by lack of talent on the o-line (also due to injuries) and receiving corps. Would any other Offensive Co-Ordinator be doing better with the same Als offense?

For the same reason, unlike others I am not ready to write Darian Durant off. He is not an elite QB, but with a proper supporting cast he is capable of winning games.

Bottom line on Chapdelaine - I am copping out and will only vote at the end of the season.
I not only have a problem with him as OC, but as a HC as well. Where does his team rank in undisciplined penalties so far this season? 
How many times did an undisciplined penalty stall a drive or basically put the opposition into scoring position as was the case on the RB's first TD this past week?
To me, shows lack of control by the HC on his players.
Combine this with his OC play calling, my vote is in.

idealsheldon

Well speaking of penalties, there is another familiar Head Coach having issues with them.

A starting point in achieving some consistent production from all three groups would be cutting down on the number of penalties the team takes.

The Argos came into the Labour Day game having been assessed 903 yards in penalties, easily the most in the CFL.

They were flagged for another seven infractions for 87 yards.

Worst of all, they negated a potential game-changing 101-yard punt return for a major by Martese Jackson in the second quarter because of a holding penalty.

Getting a handle on these penalties has not been easy for any number of reasons.

“It’s very difficult because we’re not talking about just one person or any one side of the ball (with the penalties),” head coach Marc Trestman said. “The bottom line is collectively we are not playing the kind of football you need to play to have success. Ottawa has found a way to dig themselves out of a hole and Saskatchewan has found a way to dig themselves out and I think we have the heart and backbone to do the same, but we have to clean up our football.”

“Right now we are a good football team not playing good football,” Trestman said. “We are 4-7, that’s who we are. We are not playing well enough to win. We are doing too many things you can’t do if you are going to win games in this league. Our guys know it and when we stop doing those things we are going to be a better football team.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/09/05/argos-qb-ray-needs-better-protection

tony

Well speaking of penalties, there is another familiar Head Coach having issues with them.

A starting point in achieving some consistent production from all three groups would be cutting down on the number of penalties the team takes.

The Argos came into the Labour Day game having been assessed 903 yards in penalties, easily the most in the CFL.

They were flagged for another seven infractions for 87 yards.

Worst of all, they negated a potential game-changing 101-yard punt return for a major by Martese Jackson in the second quarter because of a holding penalty.

Getting a handle on these penalties has not been easy for any number of reasons.

“It’s very difficult because we’re not talking about just one person or any one side of the ball (with the penalties),” head coach Marc Trestman said. “The bottom line is collectively we are not playing the kind of football you need to play to have success. Ottawa has found a way to dig themselves out of a hole and Saskatchewan has found a way to dig themselves out and I think we have the heart and backbone to do the same, but we have to clean up our football.”

“Right now we are a good football team not playing good football,” Trestman said. “We are 4-7, that’s who we are. We are not playing well enough to win. We are doing too many things you can’t do if you are going to win games in this league. Our guys know it and when we stop doing those things we are going to be a better football team.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/09/05/argos-qb-ray-needs-better-protection
Do not disagree here that Trestman has issues in regards to that aspect of the game.

ro1313

TSN said it was Edmonton

ro1313

They are both right 
Edm leads in penalties called  Tor in yards

Montreal is second in both....Quelle Surprise!

RKPENALTIES TotTeamYds
1WPG63WPG661
2CGY67BC686
3OTT70SSK704
4SSK70CGY711
5BC76OTT731
6HAM77HAM795
7TOR97EDM962
8MTL98MTL981
9EDM101TOR990

tony

They are both right
Edm leads in penalties called  Tor in yards

Montreal is second in both....Quelle Surprise!

RKPENALTIES TotTeamYds
1WPG63WPG661
2CGY67BC686
3OTT70SSK704
4SSK70CGY711
5BC76OTT731
6HAM77HAM795
7TOR97EDM962
8MTL98MTL981
9EDM101TOR990
Peeling the onion and taking this one step further from where you pulled this stat; 

Als rank in the top 3 of several different categories when broken down into
"Preventable - Offside, Procedure_" , 
" Technical - Illegal Block, Holding" ,  
"Roughness -  Roughing The Passer, Face Mask"

OC - Objectionable Conduct
Prodcure/Offside
Holding/Illegal Block
Defensive Pass Interference
Illegal Contact on a Receiver

To my surprise, Als do not rank #1 in these categories. Typically Esks or Argos.

Als do come in with the RB's for the most "No Yards" calls at 9.

Johnny Ticat slayer

Just because Edmonton and Toronto have slightly more penalties than the Als, it does not make it OK!

Chappy needs to fix this.

ro1313

Just because Edmonton and Toronto have slightly more penalties than the Als, it does not make it OK!

Chappy needs to fix this.
No one said it was....

Johnny Ticat slayer

Well Johnny's vote hasn't changed! Chapdelaine should not return as HC in 2018. Kavis Reed should also be shown the door.

Unfortunately, at least one or both will be back...

Users Online

189 Guests, 17 Users (15 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
argonutII, leviadon, BillyDee87, papazoola, DogsFan, Hamilton2005, PTBO Dave, habcat, sportsfan100, raymarkca, bedrock, mycko75, TeddyFay, cheater, RedandWhite, tabbiefanmcb, Google (15)

Most Online Today: 365. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)