idealsheldon

My prediction (please remember it if I`m right, forget it if I`m wrong) is that Zach Collaros will be the Als 2018 QB.

And they won`t have to trade to get him.

Richard, while I also like Kaepernick, he now is involved in so many social issues that he is not even thinking of CFL football. 
I`m not always right, I just think I am.

HfxTC

I don't care if Darian Durant is gone; it can't be worse than last season, even with the QB's we now have and I am excluding Drew Willy.

I definitely don't hope that the Als will trade for Collaros; we need to keep our draft choices. I doubt that Hamilton will pay him the $250,000 bonus he's due, on February 1st, 2018, I think. He could be a free agent then, unless Hamilton can't re-sign Masoli.

I still have Colin Kaepernick in mind.

Richard
Kaepernick IMO with everything he's done to embarrass the NFL, even suing the league with no proof of anything now trying to find a way into ownership. WILL NEVER SUIT UP FOR AN NFL TEAM EVER AGAIN.

So if Kavis can convince Sherman, he might be able to convince him, you never know. I just don't think he has the accuracy to play in the CFL where your throwing the ball 30 to 50 times a game.

When you look at all the pros and cons and you add that Sherman wants a mobile QB. Masoli could turn the Als into a .500 team in 2018.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

G Man

Just as I do not want Manziel because he has zero ability to take the game seriously and act as a professional, I would also question Kaepernick's will to come over to the CFL and concentrate 100% on football.. I'm hoping we can find the next guy who will stick around for a long time, whether one of the CFL FA's or someone that Sherman brings in through his contacts. He may not even need contacts, some QB's down south may seek out the Als in hopes to play for Sherman.. why not.
No need for big names and the sideshows that come with, had enough of that with Popp.

okie

Perhaps compensation for coaches already under contract to other CFL teams is too steep a price for the Als.  If that is indeed a factor, the team could be considering recently-fired Khari Jones for OC.

everyman

Darian Durant won't receive his $150,000 bonus on January 15,2018,UNLESS he accepts a total salary of no more than $180,000. Even if he was to accept a salary reduction, I can't imagine him receiving a bonus. Does not deserve it. If he refuses a major salary reduction-up to 60%- he's gone.

Richard
You are right. It will be very interesting to see what Reed does with this situation. This is one of those times where you can actually pinpoint if an individual is capable of learning from their mistakes.
So if the Als do not pay the up front money the Als are effectively cutting Durant long before the FA window.
If Franklin stays in Toronto, and Masoli stays in Hamilton ( which both are likely imo) are you content
with who you have now? I'm presuming you will not want Collaros.
Basically what I'm reading is you want Durant cut and take a chance on FA QB? Is that accurate?
I don't really care what they do. But it would be FANTASTICAL to see a football team reward a guy who managed to underthrow nine consecutive passes in the turf. They can't win with Durant, he's done like dinner. They might as well move on. Durant displayed some of the worse performances I've ever seen a Quarterback put together in the CFL.

Anyway you look at it with Franklin, Collaros, Masoli, Fajardo and possibly Lulay. The Als can do better than Durant even if they get the very last choice of these players. Sherman said he wants a mobile quarterback... That ain't Durant or Willy.
Yeah...But my question wasn't to reward a guy but rather would the fans rather cut Durant than guaranteeing him $150,000 and take the chance on landing a FA upgrade? I guess the answer is yes.

HfxTC

Why setup the new Coach for failure? They aren't going to win with Durant, giving him that payment on his 2018 contract, you might as well as throw gasoline on the money and light it on fire.

FirstAnd10

This is a great hire.  He will need the assistance of experienced CFL coaches but I think his days in the NCAA transfer quite nicely to the CFL.  The rules are closer to the CFL than the rules of the NFL.

I do hope his pay is reflective of his experience.

Now, give him the time to build a team of Canadian and non-Canadian talent.  Montreal does have some high Canadian draft picks coming up.

nguyenMTL

Regarding Brad Miller, how about him being the new ST coordinator?

HfxTC

Regarding Brad Miller, how about him being the new ST coordinator?
I was thinking of him as DC but STC would be a good situation. Miller is a serious Coach with solid foundations who could be a lot of help for Sherman.

Niagara Als

This is a great hire.  He will need the assistance of experienced CFL coaches but I think his days in the NCAA transfer quite nicely to the CFL.  The rules are closer to the CFL than the rules of the NFL.

Now, give him the time to build a team of Canadian and non-Canadian talent.  Montreal does have some high Canadian draft picks coming up.
I believe the CFL pays Canadian dollars to its employees. Our Dollar is around 20% less than the US buck. How can we afford the likes of Johnny Football and others.

Lyle B. Style

This is a great hire.  He will need the assistance of experienced CFL coaches but I think his days in the NCAA transfer quite nicely to the CFL.  The rules are closer to the CFL than the rules of the NFL.

Now, give him the time to build a team of Canadian and non-Canadian talent.  Montreal does have some high Canadian draft picks coming up.
I believe the CFL pays Canadian dollars to its employees. Our Dollar is around 20% less than the US buck. How can we afford the likes of Johnny Football and others.
Its NOT a matter of affordability. Manziel (aka Johnny Walker) might receive up to $500,000 per anum in good ol CFL. His top offer in NFL will average 0 (cdn or US$, don't matter)
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

HfxTC

Its NOT a matter of affordability. Manziel (aka Johnny Walker) might receive up to $500,000 per anum in good ol CFL. His top offer in NFL will average 0 (cdn or US$, don't matter)
If Manziel cleans up his act and is in game shape and does even moderately well in the CFL. An NFL team will give him another shot.  None of them are willing to stake their credibility but the CFL will pander to him. I don't think he's a good deal for a CFL team.

Lyle B. Style

If the Als go seriously after Johnny Manziel they should have a backup plan. I agree Manziel could be a real difference-maker in Montreal, on and off the field. He could also help boost attendance - maybe the ambulance-chaser aspect but its still tickets sold.

Need a Plan B in case Manziel hits the skids - so other than his signing bonus and a few meals and drinks they should consider Collaros (at reduced rates)

Collaros isn't a guarantee either. He's been shell-shocked by head whacks, injuries and fear last couple years. He's developed a terrible case of happy feet in the pocket - as he doesn't want to take any more unnecessary whacks. Say what you want about DD Durant - that guy could stand in the pocket forever - and in the case of weak blue bomber pursuit he could shed up to a couple guys while still locking for a receiver. Trouble with DD is his arm is gonzo Alonzo. Anyone who doesn't see that should be coaching or managing in pro football.

Johnny Walker Red at $333,000, Collaros at $285,000 + bonuses, that's the route I'd go in montreal. Let Durant finish out his career as Sask's 3rd stringer for milk money. Good PR guy - possible assistant coach down the road. Don't know if Chris Jones want an old vet like that on his roster, though!

Johnny Ticat slayer

If the Als go seriously after Johnny Manziel they should have a backup plan. I agree Manziel could be a real difference-maker in Montreal, on and off the field. He could also help boost attendance - maybe the ambulance-chaser aspect but its still tickets sold.

Need a Plan B in case Manziel hits the skids - so other than his signing bonus and a few meals and drinks they should consider Collaros (at reduced rates)

Collaros isn't a guarantee either. He's been shell-shocked by head whacks, injuries and fear last couple years. He's developed a terrible case of happy feet in the pocket - as he doesn't want to take any more unnecessary whacks. Say what you want about DD Durant - that guy could stand in the pocket forever - and in the case of weak blue bomber pursuit he could shed up to a couple guys while still locking for a receiver. Trouble with DD is his arm is gonzo Alonzo. Anyone who doesn't see that should be coaching or managing in pro football.

Johnny Walker Red at $333,000, Collaros at $285,000 + bonuses, that's the route I'd go in montreal. Let Durant finish out his career as Sask's 3rd stringer for milk money. Good PR guy - possible assistant coach down the road. Don't know if Chris Jones want an old vet like that on his roster, though!
That is a risky move investing over 600k yearly in Manziel and Collaros. One is a quarterback who can't stay off the bottle; the other one breaks like a bottle!
"Shut up Wesley!"   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7

Brendan McGuire

Alouettes have had better success than others with hiring former NFL head coaches:

http://lastwordonsports.com/2017/12/27/success-in-cfl-no-guarantee-for-ex-nfl-coaches/

Thnks,
BM

Users Online

79 Guests, 7 Users (14 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
KevinRiley2, J5V, cahoonrules86, Sidney, oo DAWG oo, Google (AdSense) (7), Google (7)

Most Online Today: 154. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)