GHT120

I wrote that Marcel Bellefeuille could be considered for Offensive Coordinator, but along with you,tony, I don't want him as I don't want Rich Stubler as Defensive Coordinator. The only problem is I don't make the decision. I would take someone with no CFL experience, before Bellefeuille and Stubler.

Richard
Agreed.  I prefer a talented, creative OC/DC with no CFL experience over someone just because he has CFL experience.
Agreed; For OC/DC, I would far prefer a pairing of Tommy Condell/Mark Nelson over Bellefeuille/Stubler.
I would prefer you and Richard over Bellefeuille and Stubler
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

idealsheldon

First of all nice to see you back posting MadJack.

Mark Nelson is an interesting case. Basically fired as the Redblacks defensive co-ordinator and replaced by Thorpe, yet agreeing to remain as LB coach. Not often you see that.

I`ve always liked Nelson, but then why was he demoted by the Redblacks?
I`m not always right, I just think I am.

MadJack

My guess is that he was demoted due to the regression in Ottawa's D when compared to the previous year.

But I suspect that is more due to a decimated secondary than to Nelson's abilities as a coordinator.

As he himself once said, 'I coach good players a lot better than I do bad players'.

tony

I wrote that Marcel Bellefeuille could be considered for Offensive Coordinator, but along with you,tony, I don't want him as I don't want Rich Stubler as Defensive Coordinator. The only problem is I don't make the decision. I would take someone with no CFL experience, before Bellefeuille and Stubler.

Richard
Agree with you here Richard.

tony

... Andrew Wetenhall said that the media was not even close of the finalists for the Head Coach position. Mike Sherman was not the only name you-media- did not know amongst the finalists.

Richard
No surprise there.  I rarely/never believe that the team doing the hiring leaks names of candidates.  What benefit is it for them to do so?  I expect it is the teams that were asked for their permission to talk to coaches under contract - OR - the "candidates" themselves, or their agents (the latter just want to generate buzz for their clients).

But I am now officially worried .... Just heard Herb Jerkowsky on TSN690 and he is supportive/positive (or as close as he ever gets about the Als) of the hire.
Maybe Herb has been into the Christmas Egg Nog.

Johnny Ticat slayer

Mark Nelson is an interesting case. Basically fired as the Redblacks defensive co-ordinator and replaced by Thorpe, yet agreeing to remain as LB coach. Not often you see that.

The Redblacks will soon realise Thorpe is not better than Nelson. Thorpe is overrated. His bend, bend and bend some more, before finally shattering defence sucks. Johnny doesn't want Stubler and his version of this defence either. No Greg Quick either!

Nelson would be a good choice for DC.

Johnny fears that Reinebold will somehow weasel his way onto the staff, probably as special teams coordinator. He would be better than Bruce Read, who was awful. But, Johnny just cannot stand Reinebold's bravado and swagger. 
"Shut up Wesley!"   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7

everyman

The Redblacks will soon realise Thorpe is not better than Nelson. Thorpe is overrated. His bend, bend and bend some more, before finally shattering defence sucks. Johnny doesn't want Stubler and his version of this defence either. No Greg Quick either!

Johnny fears that Reinebold will somehow weasel his way onto the staff, probably as special teams coordinator. He would be better than Bruce Read, who was awful. But, Johnny just cannot stand Reinebold's bravado and swagger.
Fear not. Reinbold has already been hired as STC in BC.

HfxTC

Condell and Nelson would be ideal. Will be interesting to see if CFL career coach will be willing to tie their wagon to Sherman. He has a reputation of being extremely hard to work with. IMO If Sherman surrounds himself and hand the peach coordinator positions to his NFL connections, he will fail. Look at what Trestman did. He brought in experienced CFL guys as coordinators and he used his connections to bring in teachers as position coaches. He was particularly successful with his Oline coach.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

idealsheldon

Long but interesting interview with Coach Sherman. And nothing to do with the misleading headline.

Believe it or not he has a very high regard for Kavis, who looks to be most responsible for getting Sherman to Montreal.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/sherman-we-re-going-to-the-grey-cup-1.949438

Johnny Ticat slayer

Fear not. Reinbold has already been hired as STC in BC.
Thank you Wally!

joe

Time will tell.

Interesting to hear Marv Levy 's name mentioned. Indubitably a learned man and valued opinion. Balance that with age and don't bet a lot of money.

Not sure if Drew Willy was a Packer prospect at one time but can see Sherman liking the size and potential skill set. Will not be surprised if DW5 comes out of camp with a spot.

Would be great to see a strong year from the Als and to make the CFL relevant again in Montreal.

RichardVeilleux

Amongst the members of his coaching staff, I wonder if Mike Sherman will hire Zac Taylor,his son-in law, now assistant receivers coach with Los Angeles Rams. He's been QB,OC before, he also was with his father in-law at Texas A&M.

Richard

everyman

Long but interesting interview with Coach Sherman. And nothing to do with the misleading headline.

Believe it or not he has a very high regard for Kavis, who looks to be most responsible for getting Sherman to Montreal.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/sherman-we-re-going-to-the-grey-cup-1.949438
One thing about Kavis Reed...he makes a terrific early impression on everyone he meets. Like his locker room speeches. Can just wear thin quickly for some.

idealsheldon

Amongst the members of his coaching staff, I wonder if Mike Sherman will hire Zac Taylor,his son-in law, now assistant receivers coach with Los Angeles Rams. He's been QB,OC before, he also was with his father in-law at Texas A&M.

Richard
Zac Taylor has an interesting coaching resume, and according to his wiki as a QB spent some time with the Bombers in 2007 as 4th string QB, but did not get into a game.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2007/09/18/qb_taylor_joins_big_blue/

He was the guy Kavis 1st contacted to get Sherman`s phone no.

GHT120

Richard
Zac Taylor hardly has a one-page, Justin Chapedelaine resume ... some interesting NFL/NCAA potential contacts

From Wikipedia:

Coaching career:
On January 30, 2012, Taylor was named assistant quarterbacks coach for the NFL's Miami Dolphins. He was previously an assistant coach at Texas A&M, serving under former head coach Mike Sherman, his father-in-law. On November 30, 2015, he was promoted to the team's interim offensive coordinator, after the firing of the previous offensive coordinator, Bill Lazor. During the five games Taylor served as OC, the Dolphins went 2-3 and averaged 17 points per game, a slight regress from their per-game average under Lazor, though Interim Coach Dan Campbell still had positive things to say of Taylor's performance.
In January 2016, Taylor was hired by Cincinnati Bearcats head coach Tommy Tuberville to be the Bearcats' offensive coordinator. According to Taylor, Jim Turner, who had been an offensive line coach for the Dolphins, was the one who connected him with Tuberville. Taylor was seen as a "rising start in the coaching ranks" by the Bearcats, thanks to his experience in the NFL and his job developing Miami Dolphins Quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Under Taylor's mentoring, Tannehill had set many team records, including being the only Miami QB to throw for 3,000 yards in four straight seasons and being only the second Miami QB with multiple 3000-yard seasons, as well as totaling the third-most passing yards for a QB in his first four seasons in NFL history, with 15,460.

Personal Life
... Taylor's younger brother, Press Taylor, was a quarterback for Marshall University and is currently the offensive quality control and assistant quarterback coach for the Philadelphia Eagles ...

Users Online

83 Guests, 12 Users (16 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Ticatsfan25, Aerial, raymarkca, GHT120, VICIOUSCIRCLE, sth1988, schmenger, FootbalYouBet, TeddyFay, J5V, Google (15), Baidu

Most Online Today: 155. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)