GHT120

I don't wish the team harm. I think the ownership needs to change and is essential to the survival of the franchise. I don't think the Als problem has been coaching. I think its been poor work ethics and lack of investment on the scouting side. The failure of last season wasn't Chapdelaine and Thorpe. It was Kavis staff failure to bring in young import talent, compounded by the bad decisions (SJ, Woods, Adams)

This year the arrival of Gorrell and the departure of Raiche is another huge red flag.
The arrival of Gorrell is on the football personnel side of the shop, Raîche  was on football operations (manage the salary cap, structure player contracts and deal with club-league relations).

***NOT*** saying it is a good thing that Raîche left, just that I don't see a direct link to Gorrell's arrival. 

Perhaps, given the timing, more likely related to not having been sufficiently (at all) involved in the HC search and perhaps feeling pigeon-holed by Reed as a "non-football" assistant GM  (complete speculation).
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

idealsheldon

I`m not certain if Gorrell`s hiring had anything to do with Raiche`s decision. Although it will lead to a demotion for Eric Deslauriers.

The main reason for Raiche`s leaving was not being asked to be involved in the Head Coach search. Joe Mack was, and Raiche should have been also.
I`m not always right, I just think I am.

GHT120

I`m not certain if Gorrell`s hiring had anything to do with Raiche`s decision. Although it will lead to a demotion for Eric Deslauriers.

The main reason for Raiche`s leaving was not being asked to be involved in the Head Coach search. Joe Mack was, and Raiche should have been also.
I believe reading last year that she aspired to more than "the business side" of a football team, so would justifiably be "peeved" if left out.

Brendan McGuire

http://lastwordonsports.com/2017/12/20/sherman-hire-gives-alouette-management-shot-at-redemption/

I think this is the first bit of good news from the Alouettes in a really long time!

Thnks,
BM

tony

With the hiring of Mike Sherman, I wonder if there are better chances that QB Colin Kaepernick could sign with the Alouettes; I know that he previously said that he won't come to the CFL, but he could always change his mind. Would be a great addition.

There are not too many options regarding current CFL QB's; the potential free agents are not great.-I assume that Masoli will re-sign with Hamilton.

We keep hearing that Coordinators with CFL experience have to be signed by Mike Sherman, but,along with the QB's, not too many good ones available. Regarding Offensive Coordinators, the only ones I can think off,provided their teams allow them to be interviewed for a positions other than Head-Coach, are Marcel Bellefeuille and Tommy Condell.

Richard
No thanks for Marcel Bellefeuille.

everyman

Well I don't want to throw cold water on this hire.
I trust that the Als did some true diligence on this fellow. As a Packer follower for years it was known in many circles that he was a complete burn-out there. No doubt many reasons for this. But he was a mess. Hopefully he has recovered and is open to be engaged in this new venture for him.

He is, like most offensive HC, are almost totally QB dependent. Good luck to him.

Most offensive "genius" coaches get this label because they have HOF QB with them, not necessarily developing them. Without that many such coaches don't last.

Defensive coaches ( Buono, Matthews, Chris Jones?, etc) tend to weather the storm easier and longer and seem to be more able to build successful teams without an over reliance on a long term HOF QB that they ride.

Re: Gorrell: his hiring has nothing to do with the Raiche departure. This is a HOF Canadian Lineman who has had a long and successful career in scouting. Particularly Canadian scouting. This is a great hire IMO. 

RichardVeilleux

I wrote that Marcel Bellefeuille could be considered for Offensive Coordinator, but along with you,tony, I don't want him as I don't want Rich Stubler as Defensive Coordinator. The only problem is I don't make the decision. I would take someone with no CFL experience, before Bellefeuille and Stubler.

Richard

GHT120

I wrote that Marcel Bellefeuille could be considered for Offensive Coordinator, but along with you,tony, I don't want him as I don't want Rich Stubler as Defensive Coordinator. The only problem is I don't make the decision. I would take someone with no CFL experience, before Bellefeuille and Stubler.

Richard
Agreed.  I prefer a talented, creative OC/DC with no CFL experience over someone just because he has CFL experience.

everyman

Richard
No matter who the fans want in these coordinator roles you had better hope that Sherman has FINAL say who gets these jobs or the same issues will result. Sherman needs his people around him. As it should be.

LeStaf

I do agree with you,regarding Stubler as DC,okie. I don't like his defensive schemes, which are bend but don't break.

Richard
Une défensive qui plie mais ne casse pas... mais qui casse quand même.
For translation  ---->  http://translate.google.ca/

Lucas Bellemare

La défensive qui plie mais ne casse pas servait à se rassurer sur l'état pitoyable de la défense après le super plan de Kavis Reed. Oui on accordait un placement au lieu d'un touché, mais c'était 3 points au lieu de 0. Je n'ai pas confiance que Reed puisse aller chercher des joueurs capables de revigorer cette ligne, et ce peu importe le coordonnateur.

HfxTC

Richard
Agreed.  I prefer a talented, creative OC/DC with no CFL experience over someone just because he has CFL experience.
Someone has to have deep knowledge of the league.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

RichardVeilleux

In today's article -"Mike Sherman souhaite avoir embauché ses adjoints d'ici le 1er janvier" Eric Leblanc of RDS write:
-Mike Sherman was officially hired last Saturday. I conclude that the  media-Didier- was wrong when he wrote on Monday that Bellefeuille was amongst the finalist and that there were dollars differences.
-Mike Sherman hopes to have his staff by January 1st, although 1 or 2 could be missing/not hired yet.
-Kavis Reed mentions that they have identified the top 3 coaches in each category.
-Kavis also mentions that all the coaches who ended the season with the Als in 2017, will meet with Mike Sherman soon and that they will be informed quickly if they will keep their job or not. Anthony will also meet with Mike. 
-Mike Sherman said that he has already contacted coaches with whom he would like to work. Mike confirms THAT HE WILL HAVE THE LAST WORD ON THE COMPOSITION OF HIS PERSONNEL. Kavis Reed will be an important resource. Mike added that he will hire his assistants but Kavis will submit names to him. 

-Andrew Wetenhall said that the media was not even close of the finalists for the Head Coach position. Mike Sherman was not the only name you-media- did not know amongst the finalists.

Richard

MadJack

Richard
Agreed.  I prefer a talented, creative OC/DC with no CFL experience over someone just because he has CFL experience.
Agreed; For OC/DC, I would far prefer a pairing of Tommy Condell/Mark Nelson over Bellefeuille/Stubler.

GHT120

... Andrew Wetenhall said that the media was not even close of the finalists for the Head Coach position. Mike Sherman was not the only name you-media- did not know amongst the finalists.

Richard
No surprise there.  I rarely/never believe that the team doing the hiring leaks names of candidates.  What benefit is it for them to do so?  I expect it is the teams that were asked for their permission to talk to coaches under contract - OR - the "candidates" themselves, or their agents (the latter just want to generate buzz for their clients).

But I am now officially worried .... Just heard Herb Jerkowsky on TSN690 and he is supportive/positive (or as close as he ever gets about the Als) of the hire.

Users Online

51 Guests, 0 Users (9 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Google (AdSense) (2), Google (7)

Most Online Today: 125. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)